News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinion Time. Front year date plate, or not. Happy thanksgiving to all!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, November 27, 2008, 10:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Went for an morning errand run this morning (gas, 1.97 for high test  :boogie:), and came home thinking would the Charger look better with the front plate off and more original, or the plate on showing the year?  Plate on never helps anyway because the two most questions I get asked (like at the gas pump), where's the flag and what year is it?  :eyes:
So, for now the plate is off. Thoughts?  And happy Turkey day to you.  :wave:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

khojnacki

Happy Thanksgiving and beautiful car! Personally I hate front plates so... I'd remove it and black out the chrome bolts that held it in place. That being said, she still is stunning.

69*F5*SE

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.  As for the plate it looks good either way on your car, with or without.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

68coronetGLwannabe

You could put a flag license plate on it  :slap: Looks good either way  :2thumbs: Happy thanksgiving to all.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tommymac

Looks better with no plate,and bolt black out.IMO In NY I need a plate in front and back.

69 OUR/TEA

Rob, :nono:...........you know what plate is supposed to be on the front!!!! The other one issued to you. :nana: I don't have any of mine on either!

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 27, 2008, 11:34:23 AM
Rob, :nono:...........you know what plate is supposed to be on the front!!!! The other one issued to you. :nana: I don't have any of mine on either!
Yeah Ct law, and that ain't happing.  :rotz:  Happy T day buddy.  :2thumbs:  Thanks for the compliments friends.  :icon_smile_big:
P.S those white spots are the plastic screw retainers, I'll remove them or black them out.  Could also remove the whole plate bracket?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mikepmcs

if you do remove the plate bracket, i'll take it so I can put my CNH320 plate on.
Looks fine with the 1969 plate on it to me BTW, looks too empty without it, needs a pushbar to break it up.  Where's the flag? :nana:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

No front plate...... so it doesnt look too much like mine then ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68charger383

I like a plate instead of no plate.

How about that black plate with a skull and cross bones, that one looks cool.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Hemidog

Which states are you allowed just one plate? I don't quite understand why that's even allowed...

mikepmcs

here is your answer.

Many American states are now strictly enforcing laws that require vehicles to display two license plates (on the rear and front of the vehicle).[3] One possible benefit of front license plates is to increase the effectiveness of red-light cameras, which work only if a vehicle can be linked back to its registered owner. Opponents of two license plates usually do not like front plates on certain sports cars and historic cars because of their visual obtrusiveness from the vehicle. (For example, a Car and Driver reader wrote in to the magazine to point out that the Mazda RX8 looks like Bugs Bunny when so equipped.) They argue that they add cost to production, use resources (metal), create double the amount of waste and do not give police any extra tool in recovering stolen vehicles.

California is one of an increasing number of states whose law requiring a front license plate on all vehicles is being petitioned. The petitions are traditionally the result of effort put forth by motorists and car auto enthusiasts who prefer the clean, unobstructed viewing of the front fascia and grille of their vehicle and see little or no practicality in having a front plate on display. Some argue that the presence of a front license plate means unnecessary damage when mounting hardware comes into contact with the bumper of another vehicle. Others argue about whether or the U.S. front plate interferes with the vehicle's cooling system when mounted in the traditional location (versus, for example, a slimmer European plate). Variations on placement include displaying the front plate inside the vehicle between the dash board and front windshield, having both a state-issued and vanity plate insert on display, and having only a vanity plate insert on display. Police officers frequently cite motorists whose vehicles do not comply with California Vehicle Code section 5200, giving the offender the opportunity to correct the offense.

The petition, originally drafted by William Shaw, argues that not having a front plate on display does not interfere with law enforcement and states, "in the 20 or more states that have abolished the front license plate requirement, there is no evidence of a decline in public safety as a result of the plate removal."[4]

In the U.S. states of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts (most plates issued prior to 1988 - see note below), Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia, license plates are only required on the rear of the vehicle. Some vanity and specialty plates in Arizona and Kansas are issued in pairs, but only the rear plate is required to be displayed; the optional front plate is something of a bonus for paying an extra fee for the plate.

Massachusetts is a unique case for license plate mounting. Before the introduction of the current "Spirit of America" base starting in 1986 for commercial vehicles and vanity plates and 1988 for all other vehicles, the state issued only a single green-on-white plate to be mounted on the rear bumper. With the current-issue base, two plates are issued, to be mounted on both the front and rear bumpers. Since all license plates issued since 1978 are currently valid, most passenger vehicles registered in Massachusetts display two plates, and those with the older green-on-white plates only display one.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Hemidog

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 27, 2008, 03:10:05 PM
here is your answer.

Many American states are now strictly enforcing laws that require vehicles to display two license plates (on the rear and front of the vehicle).[3] One possible benefit of front license plates is to increase the effectiveness of red-light cameras, which work only if a vehicle can be linked back to its registered owner. Opponents of two license plates usually do not like front plates on certain sports cars and historic cars because of their visual obtrusiveness from the vehicle. (For example, a Car and Driver reader wrote in to the magazine to point out that the Mazda RX8 looks like Bugs Bunny when so equipped.) They argue that they add cost to production, use resources (metal), create double the amount of waste and do not give police any extra tool in recovering stolen vehicles.

California is one of an increasing number of states whose law requiring a front license plate on all vehicles is being petitioned. The petitions are traditionally the result of effort put forth by motorists and car auto enthusiasts who prefer the clean, unobstructed viewing of the front fascia and grille of their vehicle and see little or no practicality in having a front plate on display. Some argue that the presence of a front license plate means unnecessary damage when mounting hardware comes into contact with the bumper of another vehicle. Others argue about whether or the U.S. front plate interferes with the vehicle's cooling system when mounted in the traditional location (versus, for example, a slimmer European plate). Variations on placement include displaying the front plate inside the vehicle between the dash board and front windshield, having both a state-issued and vanity plate insert on display, and having only a vanity plate insert on display. Police officers frequently cite motorists whose vehicles do not comply with California Vehicle Code section 5200, giving the offender the opportunity to correct the offense.

The petition, originally drafted by William Shaw, argues that not having a front plate on display does not interfere with law enforcement and states, "in the 20 or more states that have abolished the front license plate requirement, there is no evidence of a decline in public safety as a result of the plate removal."[4]

In the U.S. states of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts (most plates issued prior to 1988 - see note below), Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia, license plates are only required on the rear of the vehicle. Some vanity and specialty plates in Arizona and Kansas are issued in pairs, but only the rear plate is required to be displayed; the optional front plate is something of a bonus for paying an extra fee for the plate.

Massachusetts is a unique case for license plate mounting. Before the introduction of the current "Spirit of America" base starting in 1986 for commercial vehicles and vanity plates and 1988 for all other vehicles, the state issued only a single green-on-white plate to be mounted on the rear bumper. With the current-issue base, two plates are issued, to be mounted on both the front and rear bumpers. Since all license plates issued since 1978 are currently valid, most passenger vehicles registered in Massachusetts display two plates, and those with the older green-on-white plates only display one.
:o  How the heck do you know all this?

Hemidog

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

mikepmcs

actually i stumbled across this after hemi asked his question cause i was curious to see the states that are cool enough to allow one plate.
I still only run one plate here in maine on my classics, the fuzz doesn't bother too much with older cars.

and i actually held the left click down on the mouse, highlighted the area i wanted right clicked and selected copy, then right clicked and hit paste in the reply here.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_States

on another note, i am the smartest man in the world, a legend in my own mind, if you will.

Ghoste

69_500

Or if you are in an odd ball state like Missouri, then you can go like Gene does with only a plate on the front of a truck, but no plate on the back. Go figure that one out.  :smilielol:

It is one of the good things about living in Indiana, and that we only have to have 1 plate on all the cars.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on November 27, 2008, 08:15:29 PM
Or if you are in an odd ball state like Missouri, then you can go like Gene does with only a plate on the front of a truck, but no plate on the back. Go figure that one out.  :smilielol:

It is one of the good things about living in Indiana, and that we only have to have 1 plate on all the cars.

Missouri is different, no doubt!

Regular passenger car, truck and vanity plates are currently front and back both. 

However...  Truck plates over 12,000lbs are for the front only - supposedly because the only way they would be legally hauling that much weight would be with a trailer attached (which obscures the rear plate anyway). :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Antique/Historic plates are issued for the front and back as well - UNLESS you have Year-Of-Manufacture historic plates, in which case it goes by the laws in effect the year your car was made.  For 1969, Missouri only used a rear plate on passenger cars.  So, I don't legally have to run two plates on the R/T, and I'm really glad I won't have to mount a license plate bracket on the Daytona's nosecone... 

Even though I don't have to run a front license plate, I still keep the year plate on the R/T.

:Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

How about Ct?  I can have RT.SE on a regular CT plate on my Honda Pilot.  I also can have RT.SE on our antique plate for the Charger?  Meaning 2 different cars can have the same letters and numbers.  Thing is that the antique plate is part of a program for cars 25 years or older and then max value for the car to be taxed on is 500.00 instead of the real classic value of 30 or 40 grand.