News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Oil Pan

Started by Moparbob, November 24, 2008, 04:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparbob

Hello,

I'm doing a 340 440 swap in a 73 charger. I know I will need either a new k frame or shumaker mounts but,,,,,now I am told I will need a special oil pan. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

flyinlow

I put a 440 in a 73 Charger 318 car. Shumaker mounts work, some k frame mod. (15 min.)

Centersump pans work. The sump has to start 5 inches back from the front of the engine. I have an aftermarket 7 qt. Works fine, but limited ground clearence.

The 6 qt hemi pan interferes with the k frame on 73 and later cars. Tried it.

440 sorce website shows most factory pans.

Consider a windage tray.

firefighter3931

What you need is the #971 oilpan. It holds 5 qts and fits the 3rd gen k-frame, no problem.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AmadeusCharger500

I think this the answer to my motor mount question.

I got the wrong Oil pan!

440 source says #971 pan is unavailable. Darn.

Moparbob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 25, 2008, 07:55:49 PM
What you need is the #971 oilpan. It holds 5 qts and fits the 3rd gen k-frame, no problem.  ;)

Ron

Anybody have one?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on November 26, 2008, 06:06:18 PM

Ron

Anybody have one?

Mopar performance does  ;)

The 971 pan is P5007807AB.

Matching 3/8 pickup tube is P5007848.

Time to visit the dealer and order some goodies.   :coolgleamA:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Moparbob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 26, 2008, 08:16:52 PM
Quote from: Moparbob on November 26, 2008, 06:06:18 PM

Ron

Anybody have one?

Mopar performance does  ;)

The 971 pan is P5007807AB.

Matching 3/8 pickup tube is P5007848.

Time to visit the dealer and order some goodies.   :coolgleamA:

Ron

Is there a websire Ron?
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on November 26, 2008, 08:20:09 PM

Is there a website Ron?

No website that i know of Bob.  :P

I got those pn's from a friend who works on the tech line at Mopar Performance.  :2thumbs:

Just go to the parts counter of your local dealer and hand them those part #'s  ;)

Ron

Moparbob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 27, 2008, 08:49:03 AM

Is there a website Ron?

I got those pn's from a friend who works on the tech line at Mopar Performance.  :2thumbs:

Just go to the parts counter of your local dealer and hand them those part #'s  ;)

Ron

Thank brother (I B A Firefighter too)

You are 100% sure this will fit right? My local Dodge Store (only one within 50 miles) are a bunch of,,, well its Thanksgiving so I cant say. If I ordered the wrong one I bet they would not take it back :(
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on November 27, 2008, 08:52:36 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 27, 2008, 08:49:03 AM

Is there a website Ron?

Ron

Thank brother (I B A Firefighter too)

You are 100% sure this will fit right? My local Dodge Store (only one within 50 miles) are a bunch of,,, well its Thanksgiving so I cant say. If I ordered the wrong one I bet they would not take it back :(

Cool...we have another smoke eater on board.  :coolgleamA:

Bob, those are good part numbers....trust me. They come from a very reliable source.  :2thumbs:

The 971 pan is coveted because it fits 3rd gen k-frames and also holds one extra quart of oil VS a standard pan. The 187/402 oilpans are only 4 qt capacity. For years these pans were difficult to find but now MP has seen the light and started reproducing them.  :cheers:

The 971 pan will also fit in a second gen chassis in case anyone was wondering. It will also fit in an early b-body chassis as well. I gave mine to a firefighting buddy for his 64 Polara because he wanted the stock look. He was constantly denting up the deep Moroso pan and it was driving him nuts.  :eek2:  :lol:

The repro 971 pan does not hang below the k-frame which is ideal for a street type build where you're likely to encounter speed bumps, pot holes etc...

If you don't have a windage tray i would recommend you get one of those as well as an oil slinger.  :Twocents:

Ron

flyinlow

Mopar pan avialable at Summit. $157

Moroso list a street pan 5.5 quarts. $187. Looks like it would fit a 73 car w. 440.

Moparbob

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Steve P.

"Just a note on the aftermarket pans"

I believe the KMJ pan is the same as MANY other companies out there. I bought one a while back from someone on ebay. It has a nice gasket surface and looks to be a good pan. I asked about painting it and was told the coating on the pan was ready for paint.. DO NOT BELIEVE IT...  I painted mine black after using wax and oil remover on it. I started on my house project and for months the pan has just sat. Recently I was hunting a part in my shop and moved the pan. The paint is coming off in sheets..... Not good.

I'm hoping the rest comes off easy and then I think I'm going to use an etching  primer on it.. I think I should really be thinking about the same pan Ron recommended for you though.. We have thousands of road and parking lot humps here....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Moparbob

Quote from: Steve P. on December 01, 2008, 02:50:17 PM
"Just a note on the aftermarket pans"

I believe the KMJ pan is the same as MANY other companies out there. I bought one a while back from someone on ebay. It has a nice gasket surface and looks to be a good pan. I asked about painting it and was told the coating on the pan was ready for paint.. DO NOT BELIEVE IT...  I painted mine black after using wax and oil remover on it. I started on my house project and for months the pan has just sat. Recently I was hunting a part in my shop and moved the pan. The paint is coming off in sheets..... Not good.

I'm hoping the rest comes off easy and then I think I'm going to use an etching  primer on it.. I think I should really be thinking about the same pan Ron recommended for you though.. We have thousands of road and parking lot humps here....

Hi,

Yea but its a cost thing, plus it's 7 quarts :) THe 440 Source pan with pick up and dip stick is about 110 and the mopar 5 quart is well over 200.. Just thinking outloud 
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

flyinlow

Bob ,

I have the KMJ pan/pick up on my 73car w /440

Came painted black. Fits fine holds 7qts of rotella T plus Comp cam breakin cam lube.

Only two problems:

Ground clearence of about 4 1/2 inches. I have hit twice.  1 1/2 inch below the k frame.

I have a Mopar windage tray and had to lenghten the pick up tube slot for the non stock pick up.

Mopar 5 qt that Ron mentioned is in stock at Summit $157.

Craig

Moparbob

Quote from: flyinlow on December 01, 2008, 03:36:43 PM
Bob ,

I have the KMJ pan/pick up on my 73car w /440

Came painted black. Fits fine holds 7qts of rotella T plus Comp cam breakin cam lube.

Only two problems:

Ground clearence of about 4 1/2 inches. I have hit twice.  1 1/2 inch below the k frame.

I have a Mopar windage tray and had to lenghten the pick up tube slot for the non stock pick up.

Mopar 5 qt that Ron mentioned is in stock at Summit $157.

Craig

Guess I just need to get the one Ron mentioned  ;)
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Steve P.

Lots of guys on here running it without any trouble..  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on December 01, 2008, 03:43:40 PM

You haven't ordered it yet ?  :slap: :lol:

Ron

Moparbob

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 01, 2008, 11:22:45 PM
Quote from: Moparbob on December 01, 2008, 03:43:40 PM

You haven't ordered it yet ?  :slap: :lol:

Ron

Yea,, yesterday afternoon, its OTW  :yesnod:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

Moparbob

Hi,,

I have a stupid question. Since this car didn't come with a 440,, Does the drain face the rear of the car?

Reason being I bought what was supposed to be a direct replacement for the stock pan from 440 source but looking at it (Out of the car) it doesn't look like it will fit. Have to do a mock install this weekend (load tranny,, empty block)

Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Moparbob on December 05, 2008, 07:31:35 PM
Hi,,

I have a stupid question. Since this car didn't come with a 440,, Does the drain face the rear of the car?

Yes, the drainplug faces the back of the engine.  :yesnod:

Quote from: Moparbob on December 05, 2008, 07:31:35 PM
Reason being I bought what was supposed to be a direct replacement for the stock pan from 440 source but looking at it (Out of the car) it doesn't look like it will fit. Have to do a mock install this weekend (load tranny,, empty block)

Bob, it all depends on how you're looking at it. If the pan is mounted backwards then it won't fit.  ;)

The 971 pan is indeed the correct piece for a 3rd gen chassis big block engine. I'm sure you will be posting later this w/e how well your shiny new pan fits in the Charger project.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Moparbob

QuoteThe 971 pan is indeed the correct piece for a 3rd gen chassis big block engine. I'm sure you will be posting later this w/e how well your shiny new pan fits in the Charger project. 

After two parades this weekend I BETTER find time to try it  :smilielol:
Bob Norris
www.moparbob.com

God Bless America.