News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash soft trim repair

Started by drifter69, November 26, 2008, 03:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter69

Has any one had any luck repairing the soft trim on the dash, my trim is peeling away from the metal back plate in a few places. I am interested in trying to fix this myself and save a few bucks rather than send to Just Dashes. There not to bad yet just need to be glued or something, I just dont want to put something on there that will eat the foam away if I try. :shruggy:

yeahitsgotahemi!

Yeah, I got a few pieces that are alright, except for the peeling as well. I haven't gotten to the point were I'm doing interior stuff yet, but I imagine some 3M spray adhesive might work.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

Paul 500

I used this to stick mine the other day, dont know if you can get it in US. The pad in the top of the pic was ready for the bin so i thought i'd give it a try anyway, could have done with a bit more in it. Also i held it together using masking tape, use something stronger like duck tape.
68 Charger R/T
69 Charger 500

69RTSE

I used epoxy to fix mine.  Make sure you have some alcohol ready to clean up any drips.  Probably get the five minute epoxy, but work a Small section at a time as you reattach the metal to the soft trim.  Dont Rush.  You can either hold the part as it dries or clamp it.  5 minute epoxy sets up in about 5 minutes, but will take about 15 minutes before it can be handled and unclapped.  You will get the hang at it after a couple of mixes.

gasoline_24

I used the spray on 3m and it worked well.  They are not perfect, but since there is no place recovering them correctly or repopping they will work until I can find a better set.  I got the 3m 90 which i think is the strongest.  I taped off all of the vinyl and then sprayed both sides and clamped it overnight.  It appears that it is holding well, but it has only been on for about 4-6 months and is only installed on the dash but not in the car.

69RTSE

Have you heard if BEA or PG is going to re-produce them like the upper door pads?

68r/t

Quote from: 69RTSE on December 06, 2008, 10:29:45 AM
Have you heard if BEA or PG is going to re-produce them like the upper door pads?

I asked Mike from BEA just the other day, he said they are but no production date yet.
Also no plans for the glove box lid, which I think they should since they seem to shrink as well.

69RTSE

The lower dash pieces (including) the glove box, taillights and grille are in my opinion the number 1 reproduction items needed on the car (69 Charger) at this point! 

drifter69

Well since I posted this here is what I did, I found some contact cement, the kind shoe repair men use to attach soles and heels and spread it on kind of thin, I then used a heat gun to dry and warm the surface a little untill it was tacky. I then pressed the two pieces together and stuck really well, so well it pulled the everything straight and flush again. Looks really nice. We will see how long it works but I think its gonna last. Thanks for all your input guys.