News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trouble finding 1st gear (A833 4-speed)

Started by CB, November 23, 2008, 11:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: EccentricMagpies on September 04, 2010, 10:35:00 AM
Quote from: matrout76 on September 04, 2010, 10:23:15 AM
What fluid are you running in your transmission?

How new is it?

Does it seem worse after driving a while and the fluid gets warm?

Yes, fluid was replaced after the clutch install.  Shifting becomes easier, not harder, after the fluid has warmed up.  Seriously, it's like trying to shift w/o the clutch engaged when it's cold.  (2nd gear only)
To explain it better, it either feels like hitting a wall or it will actually grind the gears slightly, so I stay away from 2nd until I have a good 5 miles in.

I feel the comments here have been 'spot on'.  Especially from 'red79'.  The tailshaft needed a new seal and bearing as well.  This helped in the overall vibrations I had been seeing.   So, I suspect this winter I'll have to pull it and have it rebuilt.  Just trying to prolong that at least until mid Oct.

What fluid did you put in it?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

c00nhunterjoe

i agree with syncros but not with laying your hand on the shifter, if  your stops are adjusted right then it wont matter

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 05, 2010, 09:08:30 AM
i agree with syncros but not with laying your hand on the shifter, if  your stops are adjusted right then it wont matter

That's if you have a competition plus shifter,and most dont.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

62 Max

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 05, 2010, 10:13:58 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 05, 2010, 09:08:30 AM

That's if you have a competition plus shifter,and most dont.

You beat me to it! :icon_smile_big:

CB

well I used a good spray of WD40 and it did the trick, it loosend up the shifter.
Much better shifting but still needs an overhaul.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

EccentricMagpies

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't ask but I'll find out.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

EccentricMagpies

sorry...took a while finding that slip... found it in the trunk.

80/90 was put in...
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 05, 2010, 08:07:26 AM
Quote from: EccentricMagpies on September 04, 2010, 10:35:00 AM
Quote from: matrout76 on September 04, 2010, 10:23:15 AM
What fluid are you running in your transmission?

How new is it?

Does it seem worse after driving a while and the fluid gets warm?

Yes, fluid was replaced after the clutch install.  Shifting becomes easier, not harder, after the fluid has warmed up.  Seriously, it's like trying to shift w/o the clutch engaged when it's cold.  (2nd gear only)
To explain it better, it either feels like hitting a wall or it will actually grind the gears slightly, so I stay away from 2nd until I have a good 5 miles in.

I feel the comments here have been 'spot on'.  Especially from 'red79'.  The tailshaft needed a new seal and bearing as well.  This helped in the overall vibrations I had been seeing.   So, I suspect this winter I'll have to pull it and have it rebuilt.  Just trying to prolong that at least until mid Oct.

A friend told me that I should be running regular transmission oil.  Automatic oil.  Any truth to that or is the 80/90 oil what I want/need?

thanks,
John
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Charger-Bodie

80/90 is what you should have in there. Anything thinner will multply the problem in my experience.

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 22, 2010, 02:30:40 PM
80/90 is what you should have in there. Anything thinner will multply the problem in my experience.

Well that part is good to know... that just leaves me with the rebuilding part I guess. :yesnod:
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

dstryr

I rebuilt mine summer of '09 due to a broken shift fork and it was very hard to downshift from 2nd to 1st as well.  Synchros were badly worn.  If you are mechanically inclined and have a few tools you can do this yourself.  The resto guide suggests using a press to push out the countershafts but had a little help and we used a long brass drift and hammer to gently tap them out.   Also a good set of lock ring pliers is a must.   
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

watt340

With the engine off, can you shift the transmission down into 1st easily? If so, then  I would suggest that your input shaft is spinning all the time while the engine is running which could be a bellhousing to crankshaft alignment issue. The factory service manual suggests .005" runout or less.
If you originally had synthetic gear lube in there it will create problems like you describe. Even after changing to 80/90, you won't get the synthetic off of the areas where the stop ring (syncronizer ring in GM terms) rides on the input shaft.
Two other issues could be the input shaft dog teeth are rounded, or possibly the stop ring  dog teeth are rounded.

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: watt340 on September 27, 2010, 12:23:50 PM
With the engine off, can you shift the transmission down into 1st easily?

Actually.. it shifts without any trouble if the car is running and I'm at a complete stop.  I can go through all gears as if there is not a problem.

The only problem is, when the car is cold (less than ~5 miles driven)
   - if I'm starting off in first, second just isn't an option, so I automatically go to third with no problems.  If I have to downshift, second gear is not an option here (until the miles > ~5)... so it's back to first.
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: watt340 on September 27, 2010, 12:23:50 PM
With the engine off, can you shift the transmission down into 1st easily? If so, then  I would suggest that your input shaft is spinning all the time while the engine is running which could be a bellhousing to crankshaft alignment issue. The factory service manual suggests .005" runout or less.
If you originally had synthetic gear lube in there it will create problems like you describe. Even after changing to 80/90, you won't get the synthetic off of the areas where the stop ring (syncronizer ring in GM terms) rides on the input shaft.
Two other issues could be the input shaft dog teeth are rounded, or possibly the stop ring  dog teeth are rounded.

I'm sorry.. i probably should not have 'hi-jacked' this thread.  It seemed to fit my symptoms I was seeing in my trans. 
Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for all of the responces.  I will probably be considering a rebuild next spring.
I'll try to only 'refer' to postings and start a fresh thread with my issues next time.

Thanks again,
John
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd