News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Saying Goodbye to my GL [w/ mockup image]

Started by joflaig, November 21, 2008, 07:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

No not selling it! BUT I have sent in a deposit to Muscle Car Restorations (MCR) in Chippewa Falls, WI to finally perfect the body and re-paint it, plus some other misc things, such as mini-tubbing the rear and maybe a dana 60 if money allows. The current schedule is for Oct. 2009. The basic goal is to perfect the body (strip, dip, metal work and e-coat) and then re-paint it show quality BLACK (no vinyl).

I spent the last year redoing literally everything else BUT the body. Now, with AMD parts it's cheaper to replace than restore so I will get a new full floor pan, rear deck filler panel, both front fenders, rear crossmember under the taillight panel and probably the rear frame rails, plus I'm sure there are some other surprises.

The problem is I bought it painted up as a GL (no decals), but after spending the last year resto modding it, I've discovered that I really like making the car my own vision. Of course, it was my life long dream to have a GL and naturally I plan on enjoying it till next Oct, but I am also not an attention seeking type personality...so I am conflicted.

I guess what I need some help with is deciding on the color of the bumble bee stripe and the wheels. I am leaning toward using a sublime decal. I have never seen a '69 with that color stripe (would love to see pics). As for wheels, I like the nascar style and some designs of the black pro-touring type wheels like you see on cars such as Angrier. I'm not into very flashy chrome, but at the same time I do want to show off the big disc breaks on all 4 wheels. I don't like thin pro-touring tires with the stance I have. It's more street.strip. I am planning on keeping the window tinting, so over all I don't want the thing to look too sinister, so black rims may be a problem.

Here's some pics of it as it is now. Thanks in advance for any ideas or pics you may dig up!

joflaig

more

mikepmcs

make sure you post up when you start getting rid of the gl goodies. :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

I really like the Nascar look too. That's why I'm putting US Wheel Black Daytonas on my Duster when I get the cash. :yesnod:

Good luck with the re-do :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

tan top

:yesnod: sounds like a good game plan  :drool5: , love the nascar type wheel   :coolgleamA:  .................. :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chgr500

PocketThunder

Do you live close by there Joe?  Your car is pretty sweet the way it is but you cant beat a black '69 Charger.. :coolgleamA:   

Have you thought about going with a black general like triplblkr/t is doing?   :drool5:

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Back N Black

I can take your car and give you one that needs all the panels you listed. J/K. It will no doubt look awesome when completed. Lots of pics.  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: joflaig on November 21, 2008, 07:48:35 PM
No not selling it! BUT I have sent in a deposit to Muscle Car Restorations (MCR) in Chippewa Falls, WI to finally perfect the body and re-paint it, plus some other misc things, such as mini-tubbing the rear and maybe a dana 60 if money allows. The current schedule is for Oct. 2009. The basic goal is to perfect the body (strip, dip, metal work and e-coat) and then re-paint it show quality BLACK (no vinyl).

I spent the last year redoing literally everything else BUT the body. Now, with AMD parts it's cheaper to replace than restore so I will get a new full floor pan, rear deck filler panel, both front fenders, rear crossmember under the taillight panel and probably the rear frame rails, plus I'm sure there are some other surprises.

The problem is I bought it painted up as a GL (no decals), but after spending the last year resto modding it, I've discovered that I really like making the car my own vision. Of course, it was my life long dream to have a GL and naturally I plan on enjoying it till next Oct, but I am also not an attention seeking type personality...so I am conflicted.

I guess what I need some help with is deciding on the color of the bumble bee stripe and the wheels. I am leaning toward using a sublime decal. I have never seen a '69 with that color stripe (would love to see pics). As for wheels, I like the nascar style and some designs of the black pro-touring type wheels like you see on cars such as Angrier. I'm not into very flashy chrome, but at the same time I do want to show off the big disc breaks on all 4 wheels. I don't like thin pro-touring tires with the stance I have. It's more street.strip. I am planning on keeping the window tinting, so over all I don't want the thing to look too sinister, so black rims may be a problem.

Here's some pics of it as it is now. Thanks in advance for any ideas or pics you may dig up!
looks great the way it is
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

joflaig

Quote from: moparstuart on November 21, 2008, 11:08:16 PM
looks great the way it is

...but you would beleive some of the ody issues. I have to do it sooner or later and if sooner then do Iredo the GL oaint or make it my own creation. That's my dilema. I will be seeling the old GL wheels, horns, antenna and radio when the times comes.

firefighter3931

Looking forward to your progress John....Nothing looks better than a black Charger !  :2thumbs:

Of course i'm a little biased.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Except for a GL I agree. have you ever seen a black with a subline stripe and minitub wide tires? I'm desperately trying to find images and I haven't sorting out the wheels yet either.

Aero426

What kind of budget have you estimated for MCR to do the work?   They are a high end shop that does nice work. I'd imagine it's a pretty serious commitment. 

joflaig

Quote from: DougSchellinger on November 22, 2008, 10:40:10 AM
What kind of budget have you estimated for MCR to do the work?   They are a high end shop that does nice work. I'd imagine it's a pretty serious commitment. 

Yup. I'm not under and illusions, but since it's not a full resto, just the body and paint it will less that the full deal. The only thing that needs restoration at this point is the body. I did everything else during the last year, kinf of a reverse resto, I guess.

billssuperbird

mikepmcs

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 21, 2008, 09:29:10 PM
Have you thought about going with a black general like triplblkr/t is doing?   :drool5:

That looks like sunroofblacklee's car :shruggy:
Are there 2 members doing a black lee with a sunroof?  What are the odds of that?
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MoparManJim

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 22, 2008, 02:47:52 PM

Are there 2 members doing a black lee with a sunroof?  What are the odds of that?

Its the same car man.

joflaig

Yeah, no more GLs for me. I've pretty much outlines what I think i want, it's envisioning it that is the problem because I have not see it before. i looked at every member's ride page in that thread too.

PocketThunder

who is sunroofblacklee?  I thoght there was only one black General, and i got his info from this thread by tripleblkr/t. 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49451.0.html

:shruggy:   :shruggy:   :shruggy:   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

General_01

Hey joflaig, good luck with your car. I was going to suggest that you post up your car in the photoshop thread and ask ds440 to put the paint scheme you want on it. He is great at it and very gracious with his time. This will give you an idea of what it will look like.

I understand wanting to move on. I did the same. I had my General for 7 years. That cured my need and I sold him to work on my '71 Super Bee.

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

mikepmcs

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 22, 2008, 04:37:10 PM
who is sunroofblacklee?  I thought there was only one black General, and i got his info from this thread by tripleblkr/t. 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,49451.0.html

yep same dude, looks like he has 2 screen names. that car looks awesome.  sorry for the hijack jo.

v/r
Mike

joflaig

Quote from: General_01 on November 22, 2008, 04:52:40 PM
Hey joflaig, good luck with your car. I was going to suggest that you post up your car in the photoshop thread and ask ds440 to put the paint scheme you want on it. He is great at it and very gracious with his time. This will give you an idea of what it will look like.

I understand wanting to move on. I did the same. I had my General for 7 years. That cured my need and I sold him to work on my '71 Super Bee.

;D  I won't post this on the confederate general lee forum or I'd get hell.

General_01

Quote from: joflaig on November 22, 2008, 05:29:09 PM
Quote from: General_01 on November 22, 2008, 04:52:40 PM

;D  I won't post this on the confederate general lee forum or I'd get hell.

:icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Xtreme Machines

I just got through with a customers car, went from orange to black. Black is the new orange for '09.

hemi68charger

Wow !!!  What a nice lookin' GL......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: joflaig on November 22, 2008, 08:04:36 AM
Except for a GL I agree. have you ever seen a black with a subline stripe and minitub wide tires? I'm desperately trying to find images and I haven't sorting out the wheels yet either.
Isn't there someone here on the site that does photo work?  I've seen other threads where he added items and changed colors.  Maybe he can add a color stripe for you?

Update, found it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21149.0.html
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

joflaig

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 23, 2008, 06:52:25 AM
Quote from: joflaig on November 22, 2008, 08:04:36 AM
Isn't there someone here on the site that does photo work?  I've seen other threads where he added items and changed colors.  Maybe he can add a color stripe for you?

Update, found it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21149.0.html

Yes, thanks. I did post there yesterday. I can't beleive nobody knows of a car like this though with pics or something.

PocketThunder

Argimasters (sp?) old car was a black 68 with a green stripe and wing. 

joflaig

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 23, 2008, 09:51:18 AM
Argimasters (sp?) old car was a black 68 with a green stripe and wing. 

Can't seem to find that user... I had considered a plumy crazy stripe, but there is something sportier and slightly more agressive, I think to using sublime.

mikepmcs

it's actually arigmaster and his car doesn't have the color scheme you are looking for although he had a nice ride. :2thumbs: :cheers:
v/r
Mike

mikepmcs

joflaig

PocketThunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 23, 2008, 10:23:05 AM
it's actually arigmaster and his car doesn't have the color scheme you are looking for although he had a nice ride. :2thumbs: :cheers:
v/r
Mike

thats right, it was a purple wing, my mistake.   :slap:

joflaig

What do you guys think of this 1st attempt? I will keep the tinting and raised white letter tires. I thought maybe the wheels hide the calipers too much. Not sure how chrome would look, I don't want too heavy and sinister a look. I thought I could balance the stripe by changing the color of the shoulder harness pads to the same thing...that wouldn't be going overboard. Of course, the wider tires with the mintub don't show here.

Ghoste

I think it looks great.  The calipers seem plenty visible to me and the stripe and tinting all of it just gives the car a real sinister look.

joflaig

Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2008, 04:34:55 AM
I think it looks great.  The calipers seem plenty visible to me and the stripe and tinting all of it just gives the car a real sinister look.

I'm not super crazy abou those wheels. I think the redline on the wheels does however contrast nicely with the red calipers, like on NASCAR wheels, and that doesn't seem to conflict with the green stripe. This is not meant to be a pro-touring car either, street/strip all the way.

TruckDriver

I like that! :drool5:

Now if we can get more people to turn their "General's" into something that cool :yesnod: :stirthepot:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

FlatbackFanatic

Love the green stripe! Maybe go with some 15x10 Craiger S/S and 15x8 in the front? just a thought. :shruggy:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

knitz01

I like it a lot :2thumbs: When you were explaining it I wasn't crazy about it, Must have a hard time imagining it.

sunroofblacklee

I agree looks good, not bad for you first atempt. Sorry about the two user names when they redid the site I couldnt get back under my old user name, forgot my password and didn't get a new one sent to me. I'm going with with the good year eagle gt 2 tires on mine like you have on yours right now. If you have any side shots of your lee with those tires on it could you post one for me, I would love to see it. Just want to make I like the font on those tires.
1969 dodge charger r/t 440, hemi 4 speed, dana 60, triple black

sunroofblacklee

One more question, what shade of window tint do you have on your car, 5%,20, 35%?
1969 dodge charger r/t 440, hemi 4 speed, dana 60, triple black

joflaig

Quote from: sunroofblacklee on November 26, 2008, 03:54:29 PM
One more question, what shade of window tint do you have on your car, 5%,20, 35%?

not sure, but 20-35% is probably in the right range. here's the best shot I have of the tire. it looks great shiny. i love white raised letters.

firefighter3931

The Sublime stripe looks cool !  :coolgleamA:

I'm not a fan of those wheels however.  :P

A chrome/polished alum wheel would look much better, inmo....especially on a Black Car !  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

i agree, they fit Mikey's angrier, but I say get some chrome or polished ones as well.

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 27, 2008, 11:20:37 AM
The Sublime stripe looks cool !  :coolgleamA:

I'm not a fan of those wheels however.  :P

A chrome/polished alum wheel would look much better, inmo....especially on a Black Car !  :yesnod:

Ron

Yeah, the wheels are going to be the hardest thing to settle on. I don't like the angrier wheels to much either, they cover to much of the disc and caliper, for me, but I like the nascar wheels with the red strip,, but they have a similar problem, of course there are also those chrome or polished outside rim wheels with the black center spokes too.

mikepmcs

black and polished outer will look cheap IMHO.

i was always a fan of these myself

mikepmcs

mikepmcs

couple more am racing wheels

joflaig

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 27, 2008, 12:27:34 PM
black and polished outer will look cheap IMHO.

i was always a fan of these myself

I kind of agree that black wheels can look cheap especially with their popularity on so many ricers and also I am not building a pro-touring car. I like these wheels, but proably more for a drag car. I know it's vain, but I want to see and show off my fancy slotted and drilled discs and the 4 piston calipers.  ;)

joflaig

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 27, 2008, 12:33:49 PM
convo's ain't bad either

These are nice, again for me at least because they seem to be mor epolished than over-chromey, which I prefer, but they too cover to much up.

joflaig

Quote from: mikepmcs on November 27, 2008, 12:38:30 PM
couple more am racing wheels

Torque Thrusts and their many varients would look ok, maybe these are too shiney and maybe for me a bit to common or popular.

It looks like picking the wheels will be the toughest thing.