News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kickdown linkage question

Started by ipstrategies, November 20, 2008, 10:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I tried drilling one of those kickdown rods for a cotter pin and could not do it.  That rod is made out of titinium it seems.

Sublime/Sixpack

Yeah, I wouldn't drill the rod, my suggestions were for fabricating a clip, and the cotter pin would hold it on the rod.   I get a kick out of making a part if what I need is on back order, can't find a used one, etc.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

62 Max

Quote from: ipstrategies on December 04, 2008, 03:04:06 PM
I have not found a competent dealer around here yet. I visited the one I thought had a clue... they did not. I see Year one sells the linkage kit with that clip yet I can not find where to get just the clip. I have a few places I found on the web with no luck.

All you need do is give me your name and address.That easy. ;D

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 62 Max on December 05, 2008, 07:20:46 PM
Quote from: ipstrategies on December 04, 2008, 03:04:06 PM
I have not found a competent dealer around here yet. I visited the one I thought had a clue... they did not. I see Year one sells the linkage kit with that clip yet I can not find where to get just the clip. I have a few places I found on the web with no luck.

All you need do is give me your name and address.That easy. ;D
***Why, do you have the Clips we all want ??

ipstrategies

Right one (top Photo) Left (second photo) is mine the other is close but does not work. Thanks for trying Bill.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

pirateDan

I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem recently with finding a linkage clip that connects the down rod to the bellcrank on the transmission, which is 5/16" in diameter.  The largest ones from auto stores such as O'Reilly's (it's called a throttle linkage clip) only goes up to 1/4" rod.  Also, the one I got from Eckler's didn't work - turned out that it was also for a 1/4" rod - my bad.

So to make it work for a 5/16" rod, I'd used a Dremel Tool with a cone shaped grinder attachment to carefully ream out the hole on each side of the clip in order to fit a 516" rod.  Clip the clip onto a longer 5/16" or a 1/4" bolt for better grip, and wear gloves so not to grind your fingers if you accidentally slip.  Ream the holes out one side at a time and a little at a time.  Check diameter and fit often so you don't ended up removing too much material - it doesn't take much, you'll only need to remove 1/32" of material.  Even thought the clip portion is for a 1/4" rod, it however should still clamp onto a 5/16" rod reasonable well.  But to ensure a tighter and better grip, and less of a chance that it will slip off during operation, I think I'll put a couple of drops of Loctite before clipping it onto the rod.  Good luck.