News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kickdown linkage question

Started by ipstrategies, November 20, 2008, 10:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipstrategies

Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a clip for the kickdown linkage on the tranny side. I noticed when replacing the shifter seal I noticed the kickdown rod just sitting on the tranny end and it looks like there should be a clip to hold it down.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

BB1

There should be, or a cotter pin.
Delete my profile

ipstrategies

there is no hole for a cotter pin it looks like a clip would go over and hold it in place.
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

GreenMachine

If there is no means for adjustment on that lower rod, then it's held on by a clip. Should be like the one at the bottom of the center rod only reversed. Of course this is for the 3 piece kickdown. If you need a pic I can get you one later.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

ipstrategies

It is a 71 charger, I think it is a clip that is to go there but I do not know where to get one?
A pic may help
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

GreenMachine

Here ya go. If this is what you need, I'd just hit the junkyards. Small block or Big block from the 60's or 70's should have that clip, just make sure it's not the reversed one from the center rod.

ipstrategies

Thanks Green Machine though I am not sure if that is what i need.
I will have to get under there an get a picture to be sure.

1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

John_Kunkel

Some years have a hard rubber grommet in the lever and the end of the rod has a groove that holds it in place when pressed into the grommet.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ipstrategies

Are these parts reproduced? I am not sure of any junkyards around here that have any old cars. I know of a stripped 72 charger but nothing is left.
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

GreenMachine

Not sure, the only place I've seen them are on Ebay.

ipstrategies

1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

GreenMachine

It's hard to tell what size they are by the pic, and the title calls it "fuel injection linkage", Hmmmm. But for $2.29 you can't go wrong.

ipstrategies

Well I got the clips in the mail today and they would work if they were larger.
GreenMachine what size(diameter) is the rod I see clips 3/16" ,1/4" ??
If anyone has any idea where else to look I would appreciate it.

I guess I may need to post a new question with the return springs for kickdown linkage and phot of what is should look like, since it appears mine is missing a few parts?
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

ACUDANUT

No one makes that clip for the transmission kickdown linkage ???

Sublime/Sixpack

Have you checked with the local Chrysler or Dodge Dealership Parts Department?  Sometimes its surprising what they stock.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

ACUDANUT

Dealerships all want a part number in order to help you.  The dealerships around here are all lazy and full of idiots.

Sublime/Sixpack

I guess I'm lucky, my Dealer parts guy knows his stuff and goes out of his way to help.

ACUDANUT

Hey, maybe he could come up with a part number ??  You would be our Hero.  :2thumbs:

ipstrategies

I have not found a competent dealer around here yet. I visited the one I thought had a clue... they did not. I see Year one sells the linkage kit with that clip yet I can not find where to get just the clip. I have a few places I found on the web with no luck.
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

GreenMachine

I measured the rod, it's 5/16" diameter. Can you post a picture of your linkage, I can look though my stuff and see if I have what you need including the return springs.

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 04, 2008, 12:54:17 PM
Hey, maybe he could come up with a part number ??  You would be our Hero.  :2thumbs:

I inquired but unfortunately its not a part that is available through Mopar.

ACUDANUT

Dang...Keeping looking folks.  :brickwall:

Sublime/Sixpack

You know, if you think about it, it wouldn't be difficult to fabricate a clip that would work until the proper one could be found.

ipstrategies

I have been thinking about the same thing.
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Sublime/Sixpack

Maybe a couple flat washers the right size, a little bit of sheet metal, mig welder, drill, and a cotter pin?  :scratchchin: