News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any guidance, primer, filler etc?

Started by mopar0166, November 13, 2008, 08:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

I am in the middle of fixing small pin holes and removing excess bondo on my car that has who knows what paint filler etc.  Most of the heavy composites of bondo have been removed and repaired but Im looking forward to painting the car and need to know about primer.  It seems that thier is the orginal paint and a newer paint on top as of right now.  Im planning on removing as much of the paint as possible then repairing any other metal defects before starting to prime the car.     Whats the best primer to use in my case,  what should the bare metal be sprayed with to prevent it from starting to rust?     does everything need to be down to bare metal?  Also if my goal is to eventually paint this car Hemi Orange what shades of primer are the best for an orange paint job? Any opinion on the dupcolr spray self etching paint following by a sealer or building primer?

The car is a 1969 charger

1BAD68

i'm in the process of doing the same thing right now but I chose to go down to bare metal. I was surprised to find little specks of what appeared to be rust underneath the factory primer, after hitting it with 80 grit paper they were all gone. Then I sprayed with acid etch primer that my paint store sells in a spray can. I figure that protecting the metal first with primer is a good idea and the primer say's filler can be used over it.

Silver R/T

I would remove everything down to metal and start over. I would not trust bondo that's already on there, you might have rust under bondo and it will come back if its there.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar0166

Well I have been removing everything down to the metal with no real issues found yet but what should be sprayed on the bare metal?  Can i use a spray can primer to keep it from rusting and then spray on a good primer with my gun?  or   should i just strip down sections and spray it with the gun?  Im a little confused on this? 

1BAD68

I'm using acid etch primer in a spray can, I spray it right after I strip a panel and clean it.
That will protect it from rusting while you work and give everything that you put over it (filler, primer, etc.) a nice surface to stick to.