News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust Stud Sealer

Started by Mopar Crazy, November 13, 2008, 11:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

I have a 340, I'm putting exhaust studs in place of the header bolts in the rear of the head. These are connected to the water jackets.
What would be the best RTV , or Sealer to put onto the stud treads to prevent the anti freeze from seaping through?????

Thanks  Peter
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

histoy

A mechanic on the 62-65 Mopar site recommends Permatex Ultra Copper high temp RTV silicone gasket maker for sealing these studs.  I used it on my 383 and it did a great job.

mikepmcs

i'd have to agree that Permatex Ultra Copper high temp RTV is really good stuff.   
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mopar Crazy

Great, I used that on the header gaskets last time...  Thanks.... :cheers:

1 more question,   are both rear exhaust bolts connected to the water jackets or is it just the pass. rear????
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Charger-Bodie

Ive always used teflon paste ....never had a problem.

Ive never tried anything else , so I cant vouch for them.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 13, 2008, 09:36:21 PM

Same here....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I've used both and can't say I had better or worse luck with one over the other.  For what it's worth I mostly use the Permatex copper stuff now.

62 Max

Doubt you will find anything better than this.You can use it for everything.About 6 bucks a tube.

Steve P.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 14, 2008, 05:02:33 PM
Quote from: 1hot68 on November 13, 2008, 09:36:21 PM

Same here....

Same here and never had a leak. Also makes it easy to remove the stud if need be.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

aifilaw

I use the high temp red RTV pamela, but ultra-copper works as well.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

1969chargerrtse

I used Permatex high temp sealer .....................and it leaked 2,500 miles later  :-\ and I had to redo them with some other stuff a friend gave me.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.