News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

AWESOME '70 HEMI RT/SE Charger on EBay!

Started by bzabodyn, November 12, 2008, 11:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 13, 2008, 10:30:02 PM
I did notice one common made mistake seen on most resto's though :scratchchin:  LEON.

Please disclose.... ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Yes, that's the only way to start making it not "common".

tan top

I did notice one common made mistake seen on most resto's though :scratchchin:  LEON.

penta star missing from lower fender ?  master cylinder  top the  wrong color , always thought  it  should be cadmium plated yellowish gold ! for a Drum master cylinder  :shruggy: :scratchchin: ........ :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Steering gear box? Isn't it natural, not black?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi-hampton

I noticed 3 other mistakes not previously mentioned but dont want to nit pick at a nice car. LEON. :scratchchin:

P.S. I think the undercoat a little heavy for non J55 car.

Back N Black

For someone to pay that kind of money for digits stamped on a car is beyond me? you can have the EXACT same car for a fraction of the price. I guess its like overpaid Baseball players.    :Twocents:

Ghoste

Without the digits, it isn't really "exactly" the same though.

Back N Black

Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2008, 08:46:51 PM
Without the digits, it isn't really "exactly" the same though.

If the numbers are not an issue, it is the same in every respect if done right. Ok, what i'm trying to say is i'm not a numbers guy, thats why i will never pay money just for a VIN. Again my  :Twocents:

hemi-hampton

Dodge Don

Your choice....you can have an actual diamond or you can have cubic zirconia. To the average joe they are "exactly" the same, however too people who actually pay top dollar they are obviously different.

Back N Black

Quote from: Dodge Don on November 14, 2008, 10:17:47 PM
Your choice....you can have an actual diamond or you can have cubic zirconia. To the average joe they are "exactly" the same, however too people who actually pay top dollar they are obviously different.

I guess i'm the average joe, and there is nothing wrong with that. I got my wife cubic zirconia and she thinks its a diamond. :D

Ghoste

To a certain degree, its all in the definition.  My budget means that I am unlikely to be purchasing a numbers Hemi car anytime soon.  However, cloning a Hemi car is within my abilities.  For me though, no matter how well it's done, a clone is a clone is a clone and I would never be able to consider it as being the "exact same car".  An exact replica perhaps, but never the same.  The fact that one was built by Chrysler and they stamped and sold it as an original Hemi car means something, to me.
I do understand what you are saying about paying big money for numbers but if you had so much money that the finest Hemi survivor price was inconsequential to you, would you buy the real car, or the replica?

Back N Black

Quote from: Ghoste on November 14, 2008, 10:33:11 PM
To a certain degree, its all in the definition.  My budget means that I am unlikely to be purchasing a numbers Hemi car anytime soon.  However, cloning a Hemi car is within my abilities.  For me though, no matter how well it's done, a clone is a clone is a clone and I would never be able to consider it as being the "exact same car".  An exact replica perhaps, but never the same.  The fact that one was built by Chrysler and they stamped and sold it as an original Hemi car means something, to me.
I do understand what you are saying about paying big money for numbers but if you had so much money that the finest Hemi survivor price was inconsequential to you, would you buy the real car, or the replica?

I agree with what your saying, "An exact replica" bad choice of words on my part. I started out with a 69 318 car and a 69 R/T.
The 318 car was rock solid, original floors, rear valance,tail panel,still has the original trunk extensions,fenders,doors all solid.
The R/T required floors (front and back), doors, quarters,tailpanel, valance. required frame work. So, i took all the parts i needed of the R/T and rebuilt the 318 car. It was the most economical choice and i did not think twice about doing it.

472 R/T SE

It's not often you see a power drum car in a HEMI.  I think that's why there's questioning over why the master cylinder is black.  At least in '70, the Bendix booster is always painted.
Now the booster not used for HEMI's is yellow zinc along with the mc natural, yellow cap.  Like I done my blue car.

My steering gear box had traces of black where it was bolted to the K frame.

Again, this is a high quality restoration and if there's any question to something's appearance I'd imagine there's a reason.  Just like Dave Walden's Challenger, there will always be questions.

Hopefully Dirk will chime in.   

PocketThunder

Quote from: Back N Black on November 14, 2008, 10:29:15 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on November 14, 2008, 10:17:47 PM

I guess i'm the average joe, and there is nothing wrong with that. I got my wife cubic zirconia and she thinks its a diamond. :D

where were you guys when i was ring shopping !!!!   :brickwall:   :brickwall:   :brickwall:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

70426rtse

Hello fellow Charger enthusiasts  :cheers:
I thought I should chime in since the topic is about my car. There seems to be some discussion about the undercoating on it. It was a fully undercoated car - code J55. It says so right on the buildsheet. The J55 package also comes with the hood pad. I had the "pleasure" of removing all the original UC myself. There is also mention of my black painted master. Hemi cars with power brakes used the bendix style booster only. Those were painted as a complete assembly with the rear brackets and master already bolted on (didn't matter if it was a disc or drum master). I still have the original master and it has black paint on it. 70 Cars with the Midland (plated yellow zinc) had the natural masters as shown on the blue Charger above. A picture was posted of my steering column asking about the lever for the lockout linkage. Did anyone happen to notice the yellow zinc palting on it? Just the way its supposed to be (bare steel tube with lever spot welded on AFTER plating). Not a lot of fun to do on such a small detail.
Do I expect to sell the car on Ebay?  No, but it sure is a great way to let the world see 24 pictures of your car letting them know it is available. It is typical for a high $ car to not sell on Ebay, but rather work out a deal with someone who is interested after the auction is over. I'm looking for a buyer who wants, and can afford, a real diamond and not a zirconia - someone who wants a REAL, rare, #'s matching Hemi car. When was the last time you saw a Hi-impact colored 70 Charger Hemi 4speed with it's #'s motor and how much did it sell for?
Dirk

70426rtse

tan top

:wave:   hello Dirk ... real nice Charger you have there dude  :drool5: ...
  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70426rtse on November 15, 2008, 01:16:11 AM
Do I expect to sell the car on Ebay?  No, but it sure is a great way to let the world see 24 pictures of your car letting them know it is available...

That's exactly what I did with my '68 Hemi... I'll do it again once it's on the ground under her own feet...

Dirk, did the steering box come black? As time gets closer, the gearbox will be one of my projects... I've seen them natural as well.......  Nice '70 with a great pedigree...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Spike

Awesome car and good luck getting what you want for it  :2thumbs:

70426rtse

Tan top....Thanks!

Troy, Yes the steering box was black. You can usually find traces of paint under the mounting points. A manual box would be natural. The steering arm is installed after painting. I use black enamel and then add a tinge of flattening agent for a 95% gloss look. Straight out of the can it's just too shiney IMO, afterall it is formulated for body exteriors. I remember you had done some postings on rear shackles. The ones you see on my car are a pair of NOS ones I bought from my local dealer back in the 90s just before the went NS1. So glad I kept them all these years. The new ones from Mopar just do not look right. A better choice is some that Badalson sells. His look correct , but have a finer thread stud/nut which is not too noticable once installed.

hemi-hampton

Dirk, Nice car, Just assumed not j55 car since I did not see it on fender tag. I just restored a j55 car that did have it on tag but a (A) Lynch road built car. I also noticed this car I did had the tape for seats bolt holes inside of the car & not on underside, I see yours on underside, If yours was originally done this way then I guess the factory did it both ways, either top or bottom? Very nice job on the resto :2thumbs: LEON.

70426rtse

Leon, Thanks! Most undercoating cars I have seen have the tape on the bottom side. Weird size too.... 1 1/4 wide. When it comes to analizing these cars for correctness you really have to take note of where and when they were built. Lynch road cars have tons of minute things different than St. Louis car. Here's one of them I've noticed. LR cars= westinghouse headlamps. STL cars= GE headlamps. LR cars= no date code on radiator brackets when STL do. Don't take these as the gospel, but just what I have noticed. Then there is the late build vs. early build. My Charger (11-17) had SEMS for fender bolts, my parts car (late) had LG for fender bolts. I did a Superbird (Lynch Road) a few years ago and that had ELH fender bolts and a lot of the anchor head bolts for other fasteners.

Big Lebowski

Quote from: 70426rtse on November 15, 2008, 01:16:11 AM
Hello fellow Charger enthusiasts  :cheers:
I had the "pleasure" of removing all the original UC myself.

I know how much fun that is. We had the bottom of our '70 Roadrunner project as shiny as a DeLorean.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

njsteve

Quote from: UFO on November 13, 2008, 07:33:01 PM
Quote from: Dodge Don on November 13, 2008, 09:35:09 AM
We've tracked the sale of 20 70 Hemi cars so far. 6 needed restoration that went for between $55k - $84k.....the other 14 which were all top end restos averaged $150k with the highest $235k and 7 of them went for over $165k.

How many of those were plum crazy R/T S/E's?

Here's the color breakdown of the 16 Hemi R/T-SE cars that I am aware of:

1970 HEMI CHARGER R/T-SE with Automatic trans:

tan w/ tan interior
black w/ charcoal interior
orange w/ charcoal interior
yellow w/ charcoal interior
green w/ green interior
blue w/ charcoal interior (Canadian car)

1970 HEMI CHARGER R/T-SE with four speed:

red w/ charcoal interior (mine)
orange w/ tan interior
dark green w/ charcoal interior
green w/ tan interior
limelight w/ charcoal interior
yellow w/ charcoal interior
yellow w/ tan interior
tan w/ tan interior

No FC-7 cars that I have heard of in the past few decades. It would be an awesome looking car though - that's my favorite Mopar color!