News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine cut-out at high speeds, missing badly at cruising speeds at times

Started by C500, November 09, 2008, 09:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Yesterday I was cruising along and the engine just cut out at about 60 mph - twice this happened. It also started missing quite a bit every now and then - felt like some sort of fuel blockage. I have a new fuel filter on and new sock on the sending unit, new fuel tank, newish carb....so thought it was probably something else. The missing was only really happening after 40 mph speeds - more 50-60 cruising at constant speeds and was fine when I put the hammer down even at 60 mph+ on full acceleration. Around town and idling is fine. Could be coincidence, but it cut out both times after going up hills, and seemed worse after getting over a hill. Any ideas anyone?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

FLG

How is she ignition wise?

Check the cap, rotor, wires, coil, and the resistor.

C500

Has new wires, cap looks good, electronic ignition. Haven't looked at resistor. Does the problem sound like an air lock or fuel pump issue?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

C500

acelondon

sounds like your float is out of adjustment. Too lean condition will cause a missing sound, and way to lean will cause a stall. Mods feel free to correct me, but i think you should bend your float up about 1/8 inch, then try to replicate the problem. if you can, problem solved. if it comes back, try another 1/8 inch. If that doesn't do it, fuel pump is shot. test it with a mechanical gauge, they seem to work the best. Somebody jump in an tell how much fuel pressure this car should have, i forget. But if the float doesn't do it, and you have good pressure, maybe you need some ignition work. Id start with a new coil and resistor.

good luck!

bordin34

Are you sure your battery is charging? Any plug wires not crossing at right angles?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Ghoste

C500

Plug wires cap, coil, and the ballast resistor. all seem ok. Car has electronic ignition. have a spare fuel pump here. Will put it in this weekend and update the post. thanks for all the help guys.