News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trade my Charger for a Daytona clone? What do you think?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, November 08, 2008, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Let's start with, I HAVE NO MONEY, but  I do have a deep deep passion to own a Daytona, since as long as my obsession to own a 69 Charger, since 1969.  So here's the thought.  I have 40k in my RT/SE.  I'm not claiming it's worth that, but that is what's in it.  "If" I was to find someone who started a Daytona clone, or has one, what do you think would be the positive or negative side of doing a trade should that person agree.  Hey there can be someone out there that is almost done and lost heart or finance's, and would love a sharp done (mostly) RTSE with options.
So I ask you, forget the trade thought for now, what do you think of clones , or their value?  I hope to get lots of input here.  What started this is I went over someones house today and saw their driver quality Super Bird.  I love Birds, but I love the Daytons rear and nose even more.
I just don't have the heart or money to convert a rare RTSE into a Daytona since Daytons's couldn't be an RTSE anyway that year, and I don't want to waste the rarity of the SE option.  If that makes sense since the car would be all incorrect anyway.
Bring it on. :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

If the clone is done really well then it stands on it's own as far as investment.  Obviously it doesn't reach the price of an original but this isn't really about investment or even originality is it?  This is about satisfying a "deep deep passion to own a Daytona".  If you can't afford a real one then the clone may be more than just the next best thing, it'll also be a car you can drive and enjoy.
You are right to leave the RT/SE as is and if investment is the pure motivator then it is the car you should finish.  If having fun driving and satisfying an old itch is your bag, it's time for a wing clone!  :2thumbs:

68charger383

Go for it. A clone is cool.  :2thumbs:

+ with a clone, you'll get to enjoy the car...can't see that many real ones driving around and depreciating that $100-$150K value.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

69*F5*SE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 08, 2008, 04:44:39 PM
Let's start with, I HAVE NO MONEY, but  I do have a deep deep passion to own a Daytona, since as long as my obsession to own a 69 Charger, since 1969.  So here's the thought.  I have 40k in my RT/SE.  I'm not claiming it's worth that, but that is what's in it.  "If" I was to find someone who started a Daytona clone, or has one, what do you think would be the positive or negative side of doing a trade should that person agree.  Hey there can be someone out there that is almost done and lost heart or finance's, and would love a sharp done (mostly) RTSE with options.
So I ask you, forget the trade thought for now, what do you think of clones , or their value?  I hope to get lots of input here.  What started this is I went over someones house today and saw their driver quality Super Bird.  I love Birds, but I love the Daytons rear and nose even more.
I just don't have the heart or money to convert a rare RTSE into a Daytona since Daytons's couldn't be an RTSE anyway that year, and I don't want to waste the rarity of the SE option.  If that makes sense since the car would be all incorrect anyway.

Keep what ya got.....

PS---They made Daytona SE's as well :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 08, 2008, 05:35:01 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 08, 2008, 04:44:39 PM

Keep what ya got.....

PS---They made Daytona SE's as well :thumbs:
They did?  I thought they didn't?
I called my friend with the Bird.  He's been into these cars for decades.  He said, Keep what ya got.....
He also said he's never seen a good clone yet, and anyone that is done correct would have way to much into it to trade.
He ended with you have a real RT/SE and you want to swap it for a made up something car?  Hmmmmm
I probably will keep what I have , as I HAVE NO MONEY, but I'd love to hear thoughts anyway.  One thing is, does knowing it's a clone bother the clone owners?
Does people asking all the time if it's a clone bother you?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mike DC

I think it pays to ask yourself just what kind of "Daytona" you're really in love with.

If you're in love with a big loud Dodge Charger wearing a nosecone and a wing, that's one thing. 
If you're in love with every little detail & quirk of the original Creative Industries conversions from the summer of 1969, that's another thing. 

Same thing applies to the original RT/SE Charger you've got. 

To some people an original RT/SE is the goal itself.  If they couldn't have an original RT/SE, then they'd rather have a perfect clone RT/SE than a more valuable Charger built some other way. 

For other guys, the original RT/SE numbers are just a nuisance giving them a disincentive against modifying it like they want to. 

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 08, 2008, 07:42:14 PM

I think it pays to ask yourself just what kind of "Daytona" you're really in love with.

If you're in love with a big loud Dodge Charger wearing a nosecone and a wing, that's one thing. 
If you're in love with every little detail & quirk of the original Creative Industries conversions from the summer of 1969, that's another thing. 

Same thing applies to the original RT/SE Charger you've got. 

To some people an original RT/SE is the goal itself.  If they couldn't have an original RT/SE, then they'd rather have a perfect clone RT/SE than a more valuable Charger built some other way. 

For other guys, the original RT/SE numbers are just a nuisance giving them a disincentive against modifying it like they want to. 

All good points and I knew you would have them. I'd have to say an original RT/SE was my all time dream.  I guess like most Muscle car gear heads we want it all. :icon_smile_big:  The Hemi and Daytona were just out of my league in my mind, and a True 69 Charger RT/SE did it for me.  My true dream was a T5 4spd RTSE.  White top, stripe and interior. :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
Pictures anyone to help me get off my Daytona dreaming?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I have, I still just stare at it in these hard times and am so grateful to have it period. :yesnod:

TUFCAT

Rob, even though you say it - - It doesn't sound like you're very happy with what you have?  :shruggy:   It looks great to us,  of course that's 40 large not withstanding.

mikesbbody

this is kinda tough for me...on one hand i can understand the guy's saying "keep what you have its awesome" because it is but do you like the daytona that much more? (albeit a clone) i have no problems with clones its when they are passed off as the real thing i get  :flame:

SFRT

get whichever one youd drive faster.

cool thing about a clone is you can thrash if you want without offending the Mopar Gods.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: TUFCAT on November 08, 2008, 09:57:43 PM
Rob, even though you say it - - It doesn't sound like you're very happy with what you have?  :shruggy:   It looks great to us,  of course that's 40 large not withstanding.
Sometimes I'm thrilled, and sometimes like yesterday when I'm repairing stuff again I'm not.  Keep in mind what I've been through.  You don't really want to go back to my first threads and read about all the pains do you?  :rotz:  None of this came out of not being happy with the car, I started it today after replacing the leaky exhaust gaskets and re gooping the exhaust head studs and it sounded great.  I stepped back and looked at it , and WOW,  what a beautiful car.  After seeing my friends worn but original Superbird 440 6 pack 4spd car, with that awesome wing :2thumbs: Can you blame a guy for saying to himself, Man I gotta get one of these.  I Think Mike hit it on the head, what was so wonderful about his car was that it is a real Plymouth built SuperBird and as I've been thinking about it I don't think a clone will do it for me.  Love all the input though.

nakita7

A question dear to my own heart, as I am actively looking to buy a 69 R/T or a Wing Car clone (I like both equally) myself. I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, and imagine if I would trade. To be honest, I would only trade if the clone is absolutely correct. I personally don't like clones that are half-baked. The rear window in the Daytona would have to be done. Also, a metal wing and/or nose would be nice. Now, having that said, I am only talking external. I want my clone to have a 318, 5.7L or something like that, as I would literally drive it everyday. Interior, could go either way, but I know 70 Charger buckets are way nicer than 69 ones!

You have a cool car, but a Wing Car is extremely cool too, and why buy a real one? A good looking clone is just as cool, in my books. If you find one, go for it!  :Twocents:

BigBlockSam

QuoteThis is about satisfying a "deep deep passion to own a Daytona"

:yesnod: a wing car is special , real , replica. there special . i restored my 68 triple black charger r/t. it's all  #"S matching too . i also built a very correct daytona replica . if i had to get rid of one , the 68 r/t would go . i've wanted to own a wing car for most of my life . i couldn't afford one so i built me one and to me it's as real as any daytona . i've driven the wheels off of it this year
and-------------------------------luving it . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 09, 2008, 12:23:31 AM
QuoteThis is about satisfying a "deep deep passion to own a Daytona"

:yesnod: a wing car is special , real , replica. there special . i restored my 68 triple black charger r/t. it's all  #"S matching too . i also built a very correct daytona replica . if i had to get rid of one , the 68 r/t would go . i've wanted to own a wing car for most of my life . i couldn't afford one so i built me one and to me it's as real as any daytona . i've driven the wheels off of it this year
and-------------------------------luving it . Rene
Can we get a picture or two?  You would be the one to answer the questions.  Going places or to shows knowing it's a clone, people asking about it, no problem?  I take it the beauty of it makes it all O.K?

Ghoste

Actually, I think you are the only one who can really answer those questions.  Would YOU be okay with a clone.  (I have a feeling you already have cold feet about the clone thing)

Back N Black

A clone is just a couple of different digits on the dash, if you can get over that, a clone will look just as good and go as fast as  a xx car.  :Twocents:  :shruggy:

69_500

Ah see if your having cold feet about thinking of going the clone route, go the route I went. If you can't afford a Daytona, simply pick up a Charger 500. Next best thing to a Daytona, and they have the nice rear window your speaking off. Just missing the nose and the wing.

BigBlockSam

Quotean we get a picture or two?  You would be the one to answer the questions.  Going places or to shows knowing it's a clone, people asking about it, no problem?  I take it the beauty of it makes it all O.K?

people are always asking questions . the thing with a replica is to make it as correct as possible . so even the purists will give you a little respect . most people just stare and go , wow what a car . some ask if it's a real daytona. i always say yes but it's not a factory daytona .  all the feedback i've gotten  about the car has been great . no haters yet. check out this thread it will show you a lot of pics of my build . i have to post some newer pics . Rene

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,47471.0.html

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

A383Wing

Rene...I see you also have the optional "security system" installed

:2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69_500 on November 09, 2008, 12:12:22 PM
Ah see if your having cold feet about thinking of going the clone route, go the route I went. If you can't afford a Daytona, simply pick up a Charger 500. Next best thing to a Daytona, and they have the nice rear window your speaking off. Just missing the nose and the wing.
I think you missed the " I HAVE NO MONEY" part.  500's gotta be big bucks.

Ghoste

You know what, I get the wanting a Daytona and not having any money part and I also get the disappointment when you are fixing the RT.  But, the fixing part will never go away and money, well, who knows?  I think you you should stick with the RT because unless you were really lusting after a Daytona (which I don't think you are) clone or not, you would regret letting go of what you have now.  I think you've formed a bond with the car.  After all, isn't the name of your website CARSNOTFORSALE?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on November 09, 2008, 08:35:01 PM
After all, isn't the name of your website CARSNOTFORSALE?

maybe he just keeps telling himself that? :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Ghoste on November 09, 2008, 08:35:01 PM
You know what, I get the wanting a Daytona and not having any money part and I also get the disappointment when you are fixing the RT.  But, the fixing part will never go away and money, well, who knows?  I think you you should stick with the RT because unless you were really lusting after a Daytona (which I don't think you are) clone or not, you would regret letting go of what you have now.  I think you've formed a bond with the car.  After all, isn't the name of your website CARSNOTFORSALE?
And I think you are 100% correct.  I think seeing that ole bird just got me jumping a bit.  I do love that car, and the fixing stuff is o.k sometimes, and sometimes not.  I think I'm just getting lazy in my old age.  Took her out for a couple short trips today and I felt like a million bucks.   :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 09, 2008, 02:29:33 PM
Quotean we get a picture or two?  You would be the one to answer the questions.  Going places or to shows knowing it's a clone, people asking about it, no problem?  I take it the beauty of it makes it all O.K?

people are always asking questions . the thing with a replica is to make it as correct as possible . so even the purists will give you a little respect . most people just stare and go , wow what a car . some ask if it's a real daytona. i always say yes but it's not a factory daytona .  all the feedback i've gotten  about the car has been great . no haters yet. check out this thread it will show you a lot of pics of my build . i have to post some newer pics . Rene

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,47471.0.html

Thanks for the pictures and link.  I read all the pages and watched the you tube clip.  I must say there is more work into the conversation then I thought.  It also made me realize I WANT ONE!!  But I think I'll just hang on to what I have for now.  Thanks again and the car looks great.  Nice job.

69_500

The cost of the 500's isn't too much different than the cost of a nice RT/SE. I was simply saying if your that tired of the RT/SE and wanted to step up to the aero car then the 500 would be the way to go. Believe me I know all about being short on money. I've wanted a Daytona since well since I don't remember ever not wanting one. One of these days though I'll have one.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BigBlockSam

QuoteThanks again and the car looks great.  Nice job.

:2thumbs: :cheers: