News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Pig progress

Started by firefighter3931, November 07, 2008, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Quote from: General_01 on November 08, 2008, 10:35:53 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 08, 2008, 09:24:09 PM
Quote from: Finn on November 08, 2008, 02:17:27 PM
Did you fill the entire "channel" around each gauge with silver-paint/chrome or just the lip of the channel?
Ive seen it done both ways and Ive always wondered which was "original" (not that it matters to me, I personally filled it it because it looks like it was designed for that).
Its lookin good man! :cheers:

Finn, the guage cluster is completely stock, unrestored. It came as a spare when i purchased the car and is in fantastic shape....there is some minimal yellowing on the fuel guage but the rest is near perfect. The chrome looks more silver than chrome and i repainted the rest of the dash trim with silver nail polish....it matches up pretty good. The black ribbed sections were painted satin black.

Ron

Nail polish? I would have never thought of that. Great idea! I painted mine with some model paint when I touched it up a couple years ago.

Wow you lucked out lol. I went with the model paint too General.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

R2

Ron,
Wow,,,looks awesome,,Nice dash, interior, carpet,,, :drool5:

Is the driver side roll bar a "swing out",,,or dips down enough to slide over ? :scratchchin:

Are there rear bars,,,,going to the package tray ?? :scratchchin:

Would love to see some shots of the brakes,,I still need to convert mine over to disc's on the front,,,, :eyes:

Would also love to see some shots of the car as it sits with the drivetrain in it,,,as far as ride height,,,rake,,,etc,,, :2thumbs:

Do you know what size front rim,,,and front tire you are running ??,,,,,any clearance issues with the disc brake set up ?

Are you running a tranny blanket,,,or a shield for the trans ?,,,( i am thinking of taking mine off,,, seeing as i wont be "racing" it on the track,,,,other than to the local Autozone )......not sure if it's worth it for me to run a shield,,,

Sorry for all the questions..... :pity:

Looks super nice,,,,love the red rear stripe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,makes me want to convert mine from white to red,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??   :coolgleamA:

runningman

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 08, 2008, 09:39:03 PM
Quote from: runningman on November 08, 2008, 06:35:10 PM
Ron, looks great!  Can't wait to see more pics.......What brand radiator is that?

Matt, the rad came from an e-bay seller and fits great....much better than the "Summit direct-fit" which was supposed to drop right in. The Summit rad wasn't even close...nothing lined up and it was too small for the 26in core opening even though it was advertised as a replacement for the factory 26in rad.  :P

* I did have to cut two very small notches in the core support (upper corners) to mount it flush but other than that it bolted in perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330267133407

Ron

Wow that is a great price.  I currently have a 22" opening but have a passenger side 26" core support I was thinking of swapping in.  Some of the info I have been reading over on Moparts indicate that it isn't necessary with a 4 core original.  What do you think of running a 22" aluminum?  Would that be sufficient?

68RT4ME

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 07, 2008, 09:25:35 PM
Just some update pics of the 68 street/strip project :

- interior now sporting new carpeting and insulation. I went with factory sound deadener as well as a thermal barrier to keep heat away from inside the cab. Hopefully i will be able to hear the stereo inside the car with all that engine noise.  :lol:

- I added a 7/16in billet wheel spacer out back....the 295/65's on an 8in rim with 4.5in backspace were too tight to the rear leaf springs. I had lots of room towards the quarter panel side so moving them out worked out fine.

more pics coming.....

Ron, I'd like to know where you got the spacers and if you have another angle pic of the wheel/tires your using, I'd like to see that too. Looks like you got allot of tire under there and looks great. Hell, the whole thing is looking awesome.  :2thumbs:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

firefighter3931

Worked on the Pig yesterday : interior and some fuel plumbing. Back seat was a bit of a pain to install with the rollbar but it's in there now !  :icon_smile_cool:

Just have to install the upper door pads and some roll bar padding on the main hoop, then the back end of the interior will be finished.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: R2 on November 09, 2008, 09:09:45 AM
Ron,

Is the driver side roll bar a "swing out",,,or dips down enough to slide over ? :scratchchin:

Are there rear bars,,,,going to the package tray ?? :scratchchin:

Doug, the door bars are fixed.....i had them bent for easy access to the interior and they will also allow the use of the window cranks and armrests. See pic below from original mockup before paint....

The rear bars go along the roofline and enter into the corners of the package tray. I have 6x9 Kenwoods installed for a stereo in the original speaker holes.  :musik010:

Would love to see some shots of the brakes,,I still need to convert mine over to disc's on the front,,,, :eyes:

Do you know what size front rim,,,and front tire you are running ??,,,,,any clearance issues with the disc brake set up ?

I'll post a pic of the SS Brake setup....very nice and easy installation. Bolts right up to the factory drum brake spindle. These will fit fine with your Prostars if that's what you're asking.  ;)

My front wheels are 15x7 with a 225/70/15 BFG T/A's

Are you running a tranny blanket,,,or a shield for the trans ?,,,( i am thinking of taking mine off,,, seeing as i wont be "racing" it on the track,,,,other than to the local Autozone )......not sure if it's worth it for me to run a shield,,,

I will be running the Lofgren blanket but the trans has extensive upgrades : bolt in sprag, billet accumulator & billet front/rear servos, billet steel front drum, HD band strut, 4.2 kickdown lever, Turbo Action prostreet low band apply manual valvebody etc... 

Basicly a bulletproof 1000hp capable transmission.

Looks super nice,,,,love the red rear stripe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,makes me want to convert mine from white to red,,,,,,,,,,,,, ??   :coolgleamA:

The Red tail stripe would look Killer on yours.....do it !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: runningman on November 09, 2008, 04:36:47 PM

Wow that is a great price.  I currently have a 22" opening but have a passenger side 26" core support I was thinking of swapping in.  Some of the info I have been reading over on Moparts indicate that it isn't necessary with a 4 core original.  What do you think of running a 22" aluminum?  Would that be sufficient?

Matt, if you can go with a 26in rad that would be my first choice.  :2thumbs:

A 22in might be ok for a mild engine combination but if you upgrade in the future you might be sorry you didn't go 26in in the first place. No such thing as too much cooling capacity, inmo.  ;)

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68RT4ME on November 10, 2008, 12:37:07 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 07, 2008, 09:25:35 PM
Just some update pics of the 68 street/strip project :

- interior now sporting new carpeting and insulation. I went with factory sound deadener as well as a thermal barrier to keep heat away from inside the cab. Hopefully i will be able to hear the stereo inside the car with all that engine noise.  :lol:

- I added a 7/16in billet wheel spacer out back....the 295/65's on an 8in rim with 4.5in backspace were too tight to the rear leaf springs. I had lots of room towards the quarter panel side so moving them out worked out fine.

more pics coming.....

Ron, I'd like to know where you got the spacers and if you have another angle pic of the wheel/tires your using, I'd like to see that too. Looks like you got allot of tire under there and looks great. Hell, the whole thing is looking awesome.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the kudos buddy  :2thumbs:

I purchased the billet spacers at a carshow (Moparfest) this past summer.

Here are a couple more pix that i took before adding the spacers. The leafspring clearance is much better now. I also have a set of 15x10 Prostars with 4.5in backspace that will be used with a set of 295/65/15 MT drag radials which will be used on race day. The wider rims will reduce sidewall bulge so no spacers will be required....

Ron

bill440rt

Ron,
Let me know how those SSBC brakes work for you when you drive your car. Looks like we have the same setup: Manual disc, Force 10 calipers, right?

Oh, BTW, not to make you go 2 steps back, but you'll have to remove your rear seat to install those rear upper interior pads.

:2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on November 10, 2008, 08:42:35 PM
Ron,
Let me know how those SSBC brakes work for you when you drive your car. Looks like we have the same setup: Manual disc, Force 10 calipers, right?

Yes, those are the Force10 4 piston calipers. I did swap out the M/C for a small bore 7/8" master to help with pedal feel. The M/C that is supplied with the kit is incorrect for a 4 piston caliper setup, inmo.  :Twocents:

Quote from: bill440rt on November 10, 2008, 08:42:35 PM

Oh, BTW, not to make you go 2 steps back, but you'll have to remove your rear seat to install those rear upper interior pads.

You're kidding, right ?  :o Those seats with the new foam were a major PITA to install.  :icon_smile_blackeye: The lower tabs on the upper seat back are a stupid design....one of them is/was broken off. Probably not a bad idea to pull it apart and run some bolts thru the floorpan to hold it in place better.

Can you tell i'm an interior "newbie"  :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Bill  :2thumbs:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Really impressing Ron :2thumbs: Gives a lot of energy and motivation. I also got my 440source valvecovers and would like to ask you
if it was difficult to drill the holes for the fillercap etc? Also read on their site that powdercoating was good if you were afraid of scratches,
what do you think having them already on?

//Per

Forgot :brickwall: where can you get the thermal barrier stuff, overhere it's priced like gold.
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

runningman

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 08, 2008, 09:39:03 PM
Quote from: runningman on November 08, 2008, 06:35:10 PM
Ron, looks great!  Can't wait to see more pics.......What brand radiator is that?

Matt, the rad came from an e-bay seller and fits great....much better than the "Summit direct-fit" which was supposed to drop right in. The Summit rad wasn't even close...nothing lined up and it was too small for the 26in core opening even though it was advertised as a replacement for the factory 26in rad.  :P

* I did have to cut two very small notches in the core support (upper corners) to mount it flush but other than that it bolted in perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330267133407

Ron

Yeah you are right, I guess I was just trying to get away with not replacing another piece of metal.  :rotz:  I am also interested to see how that SSBC kit works out for you.  Did you get that when we had the group buy?  I have the same thing, hopefully that M/C swap will help with some of the issues I have been reading on here.

Matt

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on November 11, 2008, 02:18:36 AM
Really impressing Ron :2thumbs: Gives a lot of energy and motivation. I also got my 440source valvecovers and would like to ask you
if it was difficult to drill the holes for the fillercap etc? Also read on their site that powdercoating was good if you were afraid of scratches,
what do you think having them already on?

//Per

Forgot :brickwall: where can you get the thermal barrier stuff, overhere it's priced like gold.

Per, my valvecovers came with the breather holes allready drilled/cut. It won't be hard to make your own....just a holesaw cut and you're in business.

The bolt clearance is tight....i ended up using caphead stainless allen head bolts on mine. I wanted to use studs but my "early production" RPM heads have angled holes which was later corrected. The angled holes tilted the studs making attaching the retaining nut impossible. Overall a very nice product.  :2thumbs:

As for the insulation/thermal barrier ; mine was purchased at Summit racing under their house brand. Not really expensive but it needs some 2 way carpet tape to hold it in place under the carpeting.  :yesnod:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: runningman on November 11, 2008, 05:47:30 AM

Yeah you are right, I guess I was just trying to get away with not replacing another piece of metal.  :rotz:  I am also interested to see how that SSBC kit works out for you.  Did you get that when we had the group buy?  I have the same thing, hopefully that M/C swap will help with some of the issues I have been reading on here.

Matt

Matt, i purchased the SSBC kit before the group buy. The small bore master is definately the way to go with a multi piston caliper.  :yesnod:

I purchased the MC from Napa....application is 1973 Dart with manual disc brakes. Bolts up like stock with no adapter required (4 bolt attachment) and cost ~ $30.00   :2thumbs:

Ron

runningman

Ron, thanks.  I need to call Garrett over at SSBC and find out why they are not supplying the correct M/C for our application.  How long until you have your car on the road?

Matt

Belgium R/T -68

You must be a much better customer then me, :smilielol: I asked to have mine done but No.  :icon_smile_angry:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

richRTSE

Hi Ron, The car look great! I haven't spent alot of time on here, I think thats the first time I've seen your car in paint. Looks good. :2thumbs:

What's involved in lowering the K-member? Just a matter of making some spacers and getting longer bolts?

Do you think  you'll have the car up at Norwalk next year? Maybe you can show Rick and Fran who's boss....

Rich

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on November 12, 2008, 01:34:57 AM
You must be a much better customer then me, :smilielol: I asked to have mine done but No.  :icon_smile_angry:

Per, i am not a preferred customer  :lol:

I purchased these covers awhile ago & 440Source has since changed suppliers.  ;)  Do the new covers have welded in baffles ? Mine do  :2thumbs:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: richRTSE on November 12, 2008, 10:51:36 AM
Hi Ron, The car look great! I haven't spent alot of time on here, I think thats the first time I've seen your car in paint. Looks good. :2thumbs:

Thanks Rich ! Ya, it's been a long, slow resto but it's getting closer to completion. I've been using the "pay as you go" plan so i'm not into debt building the Black Pig....all paid for.  :2thumbs:

What's involved in lowering the K-member? Just a matter of making some spacers and getting longer bolts?

Exactly, just went to the metal supply store and purchased some 1x2 flat stock and cut it into 2x2 square pieces. Longer K-frame bolts and you're done.  :icon_smile_big:

Do you think  you'll have the car up at Norwalk next year? Maybe you can show Rick and Fran who's boss....

Definately.....it will be at the Classic. Make sure you bring your favorite drinking mug.  :cheers:

Fran & Rich have me covered ; just a mild pump gas E-headed 446.... for now  ;)

How is your 69 500 project coming along ? Good to see you posting Rich !  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

richRTSE

QuoteHow is your 69 500 project coming along ? Good to see you posting Rich ! 
I'm also on the pay you as you program...only problem is we had a baby last year (two weeks before Fran and his wife had their first), and I've been working on our basement, so not much money left over for car stuff. I just bought a complete 440 (iron heads/solid cam)  from Fran, and already have a 4.10 Dana and Hemi 4-speed, so I just need to get started on the sheet metal replacement. I'm still thinking about going all out and doing a Daytona clone, but I guess I'll have to wait and see what's in the budget next year... 

bull

Excellent work Ron. Those back seats are a PITA without a roll bar, I can't imagine working around one to install it. I get tired just thinking about you having to pull it back out to install door panels. :P Hopefully you won't have to.

firefighter3931

Quote from: richRTSE on November 12, 2008, 01:42:16 PM
QuoteHow is your 69 500 project coming along ? Good to see you posting Rich ! 
I'm also on the pay you as you program...only problem is we had a baby last year (two weeks before Fran and his wife had their first), and I've been working on our basement, so not much money left over for car stuff. I just bought a complete 440 (iron heads/solid cam)  from Fran, and already have a 4.10 Dana and Hemi 4-speed, so I just need to get started on the sheet metal replacement. I'm still thinking about going all out and doing a Daytona clone, but I guess I'll have to wait and see what's in the budget next year... 

Rich, congrats on the new arrival !  :cheers:

Sounds like you have the drivetrain covered for project 500  :2thumbs: That's going to be a nice pair of 69 Chargers once you're finished. What color are you painting the 500/daytona clone ?

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on November 12, 2008, 08:17:52 PM
Excellent work Ron. Those back seats are a PITA without a rool bar, I can't imagine working around one to install it. I get tired just thinking about you having to pull it back out to install door panels. :P Hopefully you won't have to.

Thanks Curtis ! Yep, i'm getting quite the "education" assembleing this car.  :icon_smile_big: It goes together, comes apart, goes together  :lol:

Engine & mechanical stuff just comes so much easier to me  ;)

Ron

kamkuda

Looks awesome.  Lots of good planning and money into it.  Hopefully we can line them up this year but your progress is ahead of mine.

richRTSE

QuoteWhat color are you painting the 500/daytona clone ?

Thats still up in the air Ron. I know it won't be black though, I've learned my lesson with the R/T...it sure looks good when it's clean though. I was kinda thinking white with a red stripe (already bought a red stripe, so that kinda limits my choices), second choice would be silver or B5 blue. If I make it a Daytona, I think F6 green with white stripe, a friend of mine has a real one that color and it's probably my favorite car. I think I could also live with B5 or white on a Daytona too.