News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black Pig progress

Started by firefighter3931, November 07, 2008, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Just some update pics of the 68 street/strip project :

- interior now sporting new carpeting and insulation. I went with factory sound deadener as well as a thermal barrier to keep heat away from inside the cab. Hopefully i will be able to hear the stereo inside the car with all that engine noise.  :lol:

- I added a 7/16in billet wheel spacer out back....the 295/65's on an 8in rim with 4.5in backspace were too tight to the rear leaf springs. I had lots of room towards the quarter panel side so moving them out worked out fine.

more pics coming.....
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Some engine bay pics :

- General engine bay shot of the 446 with the sheet metal valvecovers and other aluminum goodies  :coolgleamA:

- TTI header clearance is excellent, even with the K-frame lowered 1in which made the innner fender clearance slightly tighter. I don't think you would be able to lower the engine and use any other brand header without some serious modifications....TTI's are awesome.  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Last set of pics for now :

- Rad clearance was tight so i went with a pusher fan. The stock MP viscious fan would not clear the radiator and even the short Jag clutch was too tight for comfort. Lots of room in there now.  :icon_smile_big: I also used a Summit alternator mount kit that uses a turnbuckle for belt tension....pretty nice setup and easy to install. Looks great too.  :icon_smile_cool:

- I had to fab up some trans cooler brackets and move it over to the passenger side. Also pictured is an aluminum overflow can mounted on the driver side core support.

Ron

Rolling_Thunder

Looking good!   mind if i ask what made you decide to drop the K member 1" ?  I know the factory  S/S cars did this but why for your project ?  stance ? Weight transfer ?  :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on November 07, 2008, 09:43:43 PM
Looking good!   mind if i ask what made you decide to drop the K member 1" ?  I know the factory  S/S cars did this but why for your project ?  stance ? Weight transfer ?  :scratchchin:

Alex, there are a few reasons to drop the k-frame ; increased hood clearance and improved bump steer.

This particular engine configuration doesn't require the additional 1in hood clearance but the next build will. I figured i might as well get it over with while the car was in the build phase.  :yesnod:

Ron

Musicman

That's look'n really good Ron  :2thumbs:

472 R/T SE

"Loooo-kin' goooood"  In my Cheech Martin voice.

I love those valve covers.  I seen a set an outfit was making that were clean like that, no manufacturer's name or anything, that I thought about pricing to replace my baffle-less pass. side but was afraid of the price.

What springs will you be running?  Looks like the tire might hit the fender?  Don't remember...Dana?

I like that bare aluminum, stainless look.  :2thumbs:  All bidnuss.

Charger-Bodie

That thing Looks AWESOME Ron!  Looks like some really top notch craftsmanship too!  :2thumbs:

It should "Oink" Like no other when you get finished with it!   :pigsfly:  :drive:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

Very nice Ron, you need to rethink the "pig" part of that nickname.

69_Charger_RT

Wow looks sick !!! Can't wait to see some more pics  :2thumbs:

tan top

:drool5: some real nice work going on there !  good stuff  :coolgleamA:

.............. :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

firefighter3931

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 07, 2008, 10:14:25 PM
"Loooo-kin' goooood"  In my Cheech Martin voice.

I love those valve covers.  I seen a set an outfit was making that were clean like that, no manufacturer's name or anything, that I thought about pricing to replace my baffle-less pass. side but was afraid of the price.

What springs will you be running?  Looks like the tire might hit the fender?  Don't remember...Dana?

I like that bare aluminum, stainless look.  :2thumbs:  All bidnuss.

Mike, the valvecovers are from 440 source and i welded on those raised breathers. FYI, the tubes are baffled so even if your valvecovers are unbaffled there are no worries of oil misting the engine bay.  ;)

The rear leafsprings are the MP super stock springs...for now. I will be going back to the MP XHD springs with a set of caltracs/ranchos when the next engine goes in and those SS springs will go into the 70 R/T. I want to see where the springs "settle" and then de-arch them if necessary. The 70 will be more of a cruiser and i'm gonna install a rear swaybar and edelbrock IAS shocks on all 4 corners. A pump gas 493 will also find it's way under the hood at the same time....

Ron

Ps. The tire clearance is excellent....the pics are decieving. Lots of room to the outer wheel lip  :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hmm...lower the k-frame 1" huh?  Now I'll be able to run that RPM intake :thumbs:

Looks great Ron...see her at Carlisle '09?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 08, 2008, 10:04:16 AM

Hmm...lower the k-frame 1" huh?  Now I'll be able to run that RPM intake :thumbs:

Chris, i would stick with the CH4B....not worth the effort to change, inmho.  ;)

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 08, 2008, 10:04:16 AM

Looks great Ron...see her at Carlisle '09?

Yep, i will be there !

- completed Black Pig > check
- hotel reservations @ Quality Inn > check
- vacation time booked > check
- most importantly : No days owed to co-workers > checkmate  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

bill440rt

Oh man, that is Sa-WEEEEEET!!!!!!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Finn

Did you fill the entire "channel" around each gauge with silver-paint/chrome or just the lip of the channel?
Ive seen it done both ways and Ive always wondered which was "original" (not that it matters to me, I personally filled it it because it looks like it was designed for that).
Its lookin good man! :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

General_01

That looks nice Ron. :2thumbs: Can't wait to see it on the road. Probably won't see you on the board as much once you get the car running and driving, eh? :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

mikesbbody

Ron, its nice to see a big, close up pic of your motor instead of the small pic in your avatar  :2thumbs: keep the pics coming  :cheers: looks awesome!

Back N Black

runningman

Ron, looks great!  Can't wait to see more pics.......What brand radiator is that?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Finn on November 08, 2008, 02:17:27 PM
Did you fill the entire "channel" around each gauge with silver-paint/chrome or just the lip of the channel?
Ive seen it done both ways and Ive always wondered which was "original" (not that it matters to me, I personally filled it it because it looks like it was designed for that).

Finn, the guage cluster is completely stock, unrestored. It came as a spare when i purchased the car and is in fantastic shape....there is some minimal yellowing on the fuel guage but the rest is near perfect. The chrome looks more silver than chrome and i repainted the rest of the dash trim with silver nail polish....it matches up pretty good. The black ribbed sections were painted satin black.

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: runningman on November 08, 2008, 06:35:10 PM
Ron, looks great!  Can't wait to see more pics.......What brand radiator is that?

Matt, the rad came from an e-bay seller and fits great....much better than the "Summit direct-fit" which was supposed to drop right in. The Summit rad wasn't even close...nothing lined up and it was too small for the 26in core opening even though it was advertised as a replacement for the factory 26in rad.  :P

* I did have to cut two very small notches in the core support (upper corners) to mount it flush but other than that it bolted in perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330267133407

Ron

CHRGR SE

Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

General_01

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 08, 2008, 09:24:09 PM
Quote from: Finn on November 08, 2008, 02:17:27 PM

Finn, the guage cluster is completely stock, unrestored. It came as a spare when i purchased the car and is in fantastic shape....there is some minimal yellowing on the fuel guage but the rest is near perfect. The chrome looks more silver than chrome and i repainted the rest of the dash trim with silver nail polish....it matches up pretty good. The black ribbed sections were painted satin black.

Ron

Nail polish? I would have never thought of that. Great idea! I painted mine with some model paint when I touched it up a couple years ago.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed