News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

altered Daytona - any info on this one??

Started by BPTRacing, November 05, 2008, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPTRacing

I don't remember where I found this pic - surfing late one night - anyone here have any info on it. Its a recent picture (says '08 bottom corner).

I assume its likely a clone, but I would like to see more of it.

My project will have the wheel moved, but not that far, trying to still look "stock".

Thanks

Scotty
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

moparstuart

looks like a photo shop of joe murnans (nebraska ) real  daytona 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

i had asked about an altered wheelbase daytona and one of the guys here photoshopped it for me...
some time ago... i'm sure if you search altered wheelbase or AFX the thread will come up..

bakerhillpins

Is there a performance based reason one would do this? Or is this entirely an appearance modification.

I personally think it looks hideous but hey, its not mine so.  :shruggy: Reminds me of that chopped lime green charger that was up on ebay a few months ago.  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Brock Samson

The "AFX" cars of approx 1964-66 were the predecessors of what would eventually become "Funny Cars"
It began as a way to get the maximum amount of traction to the asphalt at the drags by placing the center of gravity over the rear axle...
many cool pictures of these older rides can be googled using AFX or Altered wheelbase for search terms..

this was actually a factory conversion started by MOPAR for the RAMCHARGERS raceteam..

here's a page of mopar altereds..  http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&ndsp=20&hl=en&safe=off&q=+site:www.prostockhemi.com+altered+wheelbase

i'm glad i was around back then to draw pictures of altered wheel base cars on my peechees when i should have been doing math..  :yesnod:

moparstuart

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 05, 2008, 05:29:32 PM
Is there a performance based reason one would do this? Or is this entirely an appearance modification.

I personally think it looks hideous but hey, its not mine so.  :shruggy: Reminds me of that chopped lime green charger that was up on ebay a few months ago.  :eek2:
a/fx alter wheel base cars are what became funny cars  ( hince the name funny looking cars )
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mike DC

As much as I admire those things for their nature and what they were at the time, they're monumentally ugly. 

I mean, with the combination of the mid-60s B-body lines + the radical wheelbase move + the high up stance  . . . the ugliness they achieved is truly remarkable.   

Brock Samson

yeah but hey cupcake ya wanna go racing or stand back and look at it?..

BPTRacing

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 05, 2008, 05:29:32 PM

As mentioned above - it is for better weight transfer - "back in the day" tire technologies were far behind the times for the power being made, so the cars were modified to transfer more weight to the back wheels.

I will admit - it is not a "flattering" look.

My clone project is going to need all the traction I can get, so I am modifying mine SLIGHTLY. Current plan is to move the front wheel opening 2" forward (wheels 3") and extending the front of the back wheel well forward about 2-3" which should allow me to relocate the huge 33x21 tires forward about 1.5". The motor will be around 1500hp and I plan to drive it on the street regularly.

Scotty
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

Ghoste

bakerhillpins

Ah, yes. That makes perfect sense. Learn something new every day.  :2thumbs:

Still don't like the look though.

Thanks
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.