News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 Charger - Leaf Springs Upgrade?

Started by JoeyGowdy, November 03, 2008, 12:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyGowdy

The leafs on my Charger are flat (frowning actually) so I'm thinking of tossing the 4 leafs and upgrading to 5 leafs, so would these work well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360098119118
:shruggy:
Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

The70RT

Those should work. If you want MoPar ones, Summit has them.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1BAD68

I bought some on Ebay awhile ago and am very happy with them, you can read my thread here...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33321.0.html

here's the place I bought them...
http://stores.ebay.com/McVeighs-Truck-Springs

The70RT

Quote from: 1BAD68 on November 03, 2008, 03:57:58 PM
I bought some on Ebay awhile ago and am very happy with them, you can read my thread here...
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33321.0.html

here's the place I bought them...
http://stores.ebay.com/McVeighs-Truck-Springs

I looked, they don't have any listed now  :shruggy:

JoeyGowdy

The70RT

Quote from: JoeyGowdy on November 03, 2008, 07:50:33 PM
Quote from: The70RT on November 03, 2008, 07:13:15 PMI looked, they don't have any listed now  :shruggy:

Err... yes they do:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350102448547
:slap:

I looked in the their eBay store.....just 11 applications. I guess you looked under list whatever difference that made.....sorry. They aren't any cheaper than Summit because the shipping is twice as high. Summit has the mopar brands not necessarily saying they are any better.

1BAD68

before I bought them I did some research and found that the Mopar brand springs were actually made in Mexico (not sure if they are any more though) and lots of guys complained about them sagging pretty quickly. I can say from my own experience of about a year with these springs that they gave my car a 3" lift and after the first drive they settled about 3/4". The strange thing is that when its hot outside they come back up 3/4" and in cold weather they settle again.

The70RT

Quote from: 1BAD68 on November 04, 2008, 09:43:35 AM
before I bought them I did some research and found that the Mopar brand springs were actually made in Mexico (not sure if they are any more though) and lots of guys complained about them sagging pretty quickly. I can say from my own experience of about a year with these springs that they gave my car a 3" lift and after the first drive they settled about 3/4". The strange thing is that when its hot outside they come back up 3/4" and in cold weather they settle again.

:scratchchin: ............ :shruggy:

Hemidog

one more  :2thumbs: for the mopar performance leafs!

gasoline_24

Do you use the stock mopar ones or the upgrade ones from summit?

Charger-Bodie

Ive put in 14 sets of the MP xhd replacements from mopar over the years and I have never had a problem with settling....So yeah another vote for the Mp XHD units from mopar.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Hemidog

Quote from: gasoline_24 on November 04, 2008, 03:51:20 PM
Do you use the stock mopar ones or the upgrade ones from summit?

If you're talking to me, the summit ones...

Ghoste

I bought a set of the Hemi springs from Eaton.  Not cheap but no complaints of any kind.

gasoline_24

I probably wasn't clear on my post.  Summit has two different sets of Mopar springs.  One is listed as factory replacements the others state they are racing springs.  Which ones have you guys used?

Ghoste

I guess mine would qualify as replacements.  I know there are some people who run those Super Stock springs on the street but they must make for one stiffly sprung ride.

The70RT

I just went with the stock ones from Summit. Of course it will be a while before they will be tested. I figured stock was all I needed.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: The70RT on November 05, 2008, 10:17:21 AM
I just went with the stock ones from Summit. Of course it will be a while before they will be tested. I figured stock was all I needed.

Yes ,But when you say stock , you mean replacement XHD Springs (Hemi Suspension) , Right?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

The70RT

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 05, 2008, 09:51:10 PM
Quote from: The70RT on November 05, 2008, 10:17:21 AM

Yes ,But when you say stock , you mean replacement XHD Springs (Hemi Suspension) , Right?

Correct, not the super stock.

JoeyGowdy

Just curious, anyone here have your leafsprings & shocks in your Chargers mounted on top like this (ignore the fact that this is for the new dodge truck):

:popcrn:

Charger-Bodie

Why would you want to go through all of that?

JoeyGowdy

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 06, 2008, 06:42:08 PMWhy would you want to go through all of that?
I've got to replace the flat wornout leafs that are on it anyways, a little extra work won't hurt... I suppose the question would be are there any downsides to having it setup on top rather than on bottom (other that the obvious jacked-up look) ?

69charger2002

did it to my jeep CJ. pretty cool if you want to put 38's on a car???
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

JoeyGowdy

Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 06, 2008, 08:35:34 PMdid it to my jeeppretty cool if you want to put 38's on a car???
Err, no - just thought it might help with the jacked-up look - any downside to it?   :scratchchin:

Know of any other Chargers that have had this done?   :-\

Ghoste

A good way to upset the front to rear suspension geometry.  Raising one end and not the other upsets the cars balance with the center of gravity higher in the rear.  Watch a 70's funny car clip and see how well they handle.

The70RT

If you want it higher with HD or stock springs just put on some air shocks.  :-\  I had them on mine when I had 50's on it, I only needed it higher when friends rode in the back.