News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Golden Throat

Started by Todd Wilson, November 01, 2008, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Got 2 more Golden Throats today in the mail. These came from the same old man that I got my first one from. He must have got a good deal on all 3 radios back in the day as they are all 3 1951 year radios They are in real nice condition and work great!

1951 RCA Victor 53

1951 RCA Victor X551

Ponch ®

im still waiting for a video of some chick blowing C3PO...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Tilar

:rofl: Now there's a visual you don't see every day.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Todd Wilson

Ye old Philco for the collection!!!!!!!!!!!

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Todd Wilson

Just got back from a 425 mile trip to pickup this unit. An RCA Victor 27k. My first console!

The70RT

Those are some nice ones Todd. I kinda use to be into them. I sold all mine. The last one I sold was a 5 band. You could get almost every U.S. station, It would pickup foreign languages all the time but didn't know the origin. I still have some old record players and an old Wurlitzer. I have had too many hobbies. I collect old fishing lures and gear, diecasts, racing memorabilia,old 45's & albums ...yada yada yada. If I would have put all my funds into my cars they would be done by now  :eyes:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

69CoronetRT

Todd,

Thanks a nice looking piece. Great find. LMK if you need a restoration shop.

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

WingCharger

Diggin the big old console radio. :D

Arizona Dave

Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 07, 2008, 11:54:25 PM
Did a lot of clean up on the old 579 tonight. It had some paint specs on it and I was kicking around the idea of refinishing it After some razor blade shaving of the paint drops and a good wipe down with lighter fluid and then old english the old wood is starting to look decent again.

Todd

Tell me more about the "wipe down with lighter fluid" step.  I have refinished many antiques and for some reason I always forget this step.   :icon_smile_wink:
High Speed & Low Drag, Baby!
Look me up when you're in AZ.
Arizona Dave

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Arizona Dave on December 21, 2008, 01:35:48 PM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on November 07, 2008, 11:54:25 PM
Did a lot of clean up on the old 579 tonight. It had some paint specs on it and I was kicking around the idea of refinishing it After some razor blade shaving of the paint drops and a good wipe down with lighter fluid and then old english the old wood is starting to look decent again.

Todd

Tell me more about the "wipe down with lighter fluid" step.  I have refinished many antiques and for some reason I always forget this step.   :icon_smile_wink:

I used ronsonal lighter fluid on a paper towel to wipe it down. They use lighter fluid mostly on the old bakelite units as some of the new cleaners and amonia will hurt their surfaces. It cleans and degreases well and then drys away. I have heard of people using waterless soap like GoJo to clean off old wood. Coat it and let it sit 5 minutes and then wipe off. I have never tried that.

Todd

Todd Wilson

PIcked up this old unit today.......Pre October 1937 RCA Victor 811k radio. Its got a few more bands and a few more options then my other old 27k. It also has a tuning eye!  It cleaned up pretty good. Has some electronic issues to sort thru but should be a slick old unit when I get the capacitors changed out of it..........

Before cleanup.....

After cleanup.....

1937 RCA Victor 811k & 1942 RCA Victor 27k

mikepmcs

Todd, you are officially out of control and are reaching OCD status.
Nice stuff though. :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Todd Wilson

Quote from: mikepmcs on December 31, 2008, 05:55:40 PM
Todd, you are officially out of control and are reaching OCD status.
Nice stuff though. :2thumbs:

HAHA!  Yeah I am!  Need to find some more. I been telling the wife for months I wanted a big console. They are out there but most wont ship. Then suddenly I found one close in Kansas here. Then the 811k showed up and its a somewhat rare radio so I grabbed it too. 

A piece of useless knowledge. This 811k I just bought cost 692$ to buy back in 1937-38. It was the top dog for RCA at the time. Thats a lot of $ back then.

Todd

69CoronetRT

Todd, here's our '35 GE console. I like the waterfall/art deco designs of the time. I remember this radio in my aunt's basement when I was a kid. We recieved it as a wedding present many years later.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on January 01, 2009, 02:58:56 PM
Todd, here's our '35 GE console. I like the waterfall/art deco designs of the time. I remember this radio in my aunt's basement when I was a kid. We recieved it as a wedding present many years later.

WOW!  Thats a nice unit. Super cool that it was in your family and you have it now. Nice wood work on the house too! Wish they hadnt painted mine years ago.

Todd

69CoronetRT

The case is original but the electronics have all been moderinized. Yes, the original wood work is one of the things that sold us on the house.

Todd Wilson

1939 Hallicrafters S-20R  SKY CHAMPION Short wave Radio............

69CoronetRT

Wow. Very cool. Where'd that one come from?

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on February 03, 2009, 11:40:52 PM
Wow. Very cool. Where'd that one come from?

It came from Dallas Texas. Fits in well with the collection and the ham radios.

Dial string gave out on me earlier. Will have to restring it but its been running 6 hours now with about a 45 minute rest and its doing well. Ahhh I love the smell of warm tubes!

Todd

Todd Wilson

Got some DeOxit tuner wash in all the dials and they smoothed out and the static went away. Underside looks pretty clean. Still has all its old caps in it. We'll see how long they last. This old radio stomps my Grundig S350 solid state unit into the ground. It hears stuff the other radio has no chance of hearing. Been listening to China Radio and Havana Cuba Radio this evening. Very interesting to hear news from the other side. China sounds like they got the same problems that we do with stuff.

Heres me listening tonight  from the Kansas Mafia Command Center   :icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Todd Wilson on February 08, 2009, 01:18:40 AM
Very interesting to hear news from the other side. China sounds like they got the same problems that we do with stuff.

Wait a minute...you speak Chinese? Cool. :icon_smile_cool:

Oh & That's a cool looking old radio, the Kansas Mafia Command Center looks pretty relaxing, too. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Todd Wilson

Getting into a Hallicrafters Radio kick here. Hand made in Chicago Ill.!  Grabbed some of these 1963-64 vintage  Hallicrafters LittleFone CB-6 talkies for the daughter and I to play with. These old dogs take 8 AA batteries. Got a block away tonight from the house and could still talk back and forth with no trouble. Was getting cold so I turned back.

Todd

TheGhost

I was not expecting a thread posted by Todd called "Golden Throat" to be about radios.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Todd Wilson

My 11$  Hallicrafters CB-3a showed up today. Old tube cb radio. Works good and will work with my talkies.

Todd