News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

summit cam in a 383

Started by Runner, November 01, 2008, 09:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runner

im going to put together an extremly budget minded 383 for my wifes 72 satellite.  she was telling me that she wants to pep up the car some. i had been saving a freshly bored .030 over 383 block for a stroker for my 68 but it doesnt look like thats going to be in the cards for a good long time.   i have most everything i need except bearings , cam, lifters and timing chain and some other odds and ends to do the swap.

the engine will be a
.030 over 383
used badger pistons that came out of my roadrunner. these pistons have a 1.908 cr unlike any other cast piston that i found that only had a 1.848 ch, should be real close to 9-1 with a steel shim gasket 87cc head
stock stroke 383 crank and rods , again came out of my roadrunner motor when i went to a 452
stock 906 heads,  these heads came off my roadrunner when i went to e heads
torker intake because its what i have it laying around.
3000 stall 11 inch converter
3.23 rearend.
  i was going to put the same crane cam i have in my satellite in it, but it seems to be back odered and frankly its alot more cash than the summit grinds.  it seems alot of people have had good luck with the summit cams so i thought id give one a try.  they are only 105 bucks for cam and lifters.  the crane is 190 buck

the car has power brakes   so what summit cam would you run

the big oje or the little one?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2DK6401&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2DK6400&autoview=sku

thanks mike

stock stroke 383 crank and rods , again came out of my roadrunner motor when i went to a 452

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Rolling_Thunder

well the larger cam will give more top end HP and the smaller one will give more low end torque...   I'm a fan of low end torque myself in street cars...   the differences are not THAT different...     if you want more HP than torque then instead of going with the Summit Brand go to PAW and order their SSI 280/290 Cam...   is the exactly the same except on a slightly narrower 112LSA instead of the 114 The summit is....     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

firefighter3931

That engine combo is handicapped for 2 reasons ; short stroke and low compression. Couple that with a heavy car and 3.23 gears will only complicate the cam selection. If it was my car and i wanted to boost performance the cam would not be an area where i would be looking to save a few bucks.  ;)

The small summit cam would be ok but probably not provide a huge performance improvement. The larger cam would probably work better but the car doesn't have enough gear to to make it shine with a 9:1 383 in a heavy beast.

My choice for the outlined combo would be a custom Engle stick. Something that would trap some air to boost cylinder pressure at lower engine speeds and boost torque as well as provide strong vacuum and throttle response. This is especially important with a short stroke, low compression build in a heavy car with 3.23 gears.  :yesnod:

The cam :

K54 intake lobe/k56 exhaust lobe on a 110* lsa installed at 106*

260*/272* advertised
214*/224* @ .050
.470/.504 lift @ 1.5 RR
110* lsa

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

Ron,  IF i spend more money for a bump stick it will be a  crane 272 just because i know what to expect.  i have it in my 68 satellite with 3.23s and the exact same converter and tranny and intake the only major differance would be this motor has fresh bores and will get moly rings and my satellite motor has 516 heads with a 1.60 exhaust valve sitting on felro .039 gaskets this motor will have a much better set of 906s and a .020 gasket. compression  should be somewhat close between the 2 engines. this is one of those deals were if i cant put it together cheap, it wont get put together.

heres the crane cam http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN%2D643942&autoview=sku   

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on November 02, 2008, 11:03:06 AM

heres the crane cam http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CRN%2D643942&autoview=sku   

That's not a bad cam but not as good as the Engle i posted above. More seat timing, less lift and the 112* lsa will bleed off some low end grunt. On a low compression/short stroke build i would be more inclined to tighten up the lsa.  :Twocents:

That Crane stick is a slow lobe .842 (chevy) grind whereas the Engle is a more modern .904 (mopar) profile  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

Engle cams rock....                :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Runner

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 02, 2008, 07:25:48 PM
Quote from: Runner on November 02, 2008, 11:03:06 AM

That's not a bad cam but not as good as the Engle i posted above. More seat timing, less lift and the 112* lsa will bleed off some low end grunt. On a low compression/short stroke build i would be more inclined to tighten up the lsa.  :Twocents:

That Crane stick is a slow lobe .842 (chevy) grind whereas the Engle is a more modern .904 (mopar) profile  :2thumbs:

Ron

ron,  this may be stupid on my part but  this is for my wife.   the ONLY time i drive this car is to move it out of my way.   my wife has NEVER put the roadrunner to the floor for more than a couple seconds.  plus she is more inclinded to putt around at idle most of the time and floor every great once in a while. my understanding is fast rate cams dont like to be idled alot.   she would be absolutly thrilled with that car running anything close to what my green car runs.  i have no doubt the engle grind wouldnt be better, but it all starts adding up, if i was going to put any money in this block it would either be a 454 inch lowdeck with a custom porter racing solid lifter cam, and it would go in my 68 and my wife would get...... the budget ass 383 thats in it.    i most likly would have went with the stroker for my satellite if the fuel prices didingt get way out of hand, we drive out green car alot.  everyday to work and we take trips in it as well.   

firefighter3931

Mike, i would have no reservations driving daily with an Engle cam in my motor. This is by no means a top-fuel type grind....just something with a little extra uumph down low.  ;)

I understand the budget constraints, but saving a few bucks and compromising the build is not something i would do. Lots of Members here run engle cams in very mild combos and the feedback has allways been very positive. I have yet to hear of one person that regretted swapping in an Engle cam. I have not heard of any failures either.

The "best" cam for your proposed build isn't going to be a shelf item, inmo. The Comp XE262 would be close but it leaves some power on the table as compared to the k54/k56 custom Engle. On that build i would keep the lobes tight 108-110 no matter what cam i went with.  :Twocents: Something in the 215*@.050 range on the intake duration should be just about right with the low static comp, smallish displacement and heavy car/modest gear.

Good luck with the build, i'm sure whatever you come up with will run fine.  ;)

Ron