News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the best 400 main, rod, cam bearings, and rings?

Started by WH23G3G, October 30, 2008, 11:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

What is the best or will last the longest on a 400 for the main, rod, cam bearings, and rings? It's .040 Forged Flat Tops, and .010 on main and rod, standard on cam bearings. What rings are easiest on wearing the bores? Do you have to replace the bronze distributor shaft bushing during a rebuild? Only a modest cam will be added, windage tray, possibly an aluminum intake.

firefighter3931

Quote from: WH23G3G on October 30, 2008, 11:51:04 PM
What is the best or will last the longest on a 400 for the main, rod, cam bearings, and rings? It's .040 Forged Flat Tops, and .010 on main and rod, standard on cam bearings. What rings are easiest on wearing the bores? Do you have to replace the bronze distributor shaft bushing during a rebuild? Only a modest cam will be added, windage tray, possibly an aluminum intake.

Clevite bearings are fine. I like the speedpro plasma moly rings. Replace the bronze oil pump drive bushing while it's apart. One other important part : connecting rod bolts ; ARP hardware is money well spent.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WH23G3G

Is the distributor drive bushing something the machine shop will have to replace? I've never seen any of the rebuilding books refer to replacing it. Are the rod bolts something I have to get the machine shop to check or just replace them?

firefighter3931

Quote from: WH23G3G on November 02, 2008, 01:37:25 PM
Is the distributor drive bushing something the machine shop will have to replace? I've never seen any of the rebuilding books refer to replacing it.

There is a specific tool for installing the bushing....have the machineshop install it.  ;)

Quote from: WH23G3G on November 02, 2008, 01:37:25 PM
Are the rod bolts something I have to get the machine shop to check or just replace them?

Have the rods reconditioned and have the machineshop install them. New rod bolts should be cycled a few times and stretched using a specific tool.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs