News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MP Frame Connectors and New MP RT Leafs Installed...BIG IMPROVEMENT!

Started by Mfr426, August 25, 2008, 09:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey all, I just thought I'd pass on my experience with installing new Mopar Performace frame connectors and Mopar Performance RT/Hemi leaf springs. The quality of the ride is a marked improvement. I see the difference in the turns mostly. The car does not have near the body roll. I also notice it on straights too. The car now feels like it's one assembly with the two frames tied together. A nice added bonus is that I don't hear the creaking ALL the time when I make turns. That used to drive me nuts. It still does it once in a while but not like it used to. I also got about 1" of added rear end height which I wanted as the car looked ass heavy.

For the folks wondering weld vs. bolt, I am now a believer that welding in the frame connectors was a good idea. After thinking about it I was less than excited to drill holes into the same frames that I was wanting to strengthen. The North of the border motor expert helped to "educate" me on the weld-in move.

Hope my opinion helps those on the fence about this upgrade.

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger RT/SE 505/510

Mopar2Ya

I also had mine welded in. How did you do the weld? I mean did you just weld them as-is, or add any wrap to the rear?

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

Mfr426

I'm not sure I understand the question but I just installed them as though they were being bolted in and then welded around the entire mount as well as in the bolt holes. The rear just looks like a bead of caulk around the outside of the connector.

Mike

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: Mfr426 on August 25, 2008, 03:59:25 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question but I just installed them as though they were being bolted in and then welded around the entire mount as well as in the bolt holes. The rear just looks like a bead of caulk around the outside of the connector.

Mike
Yes, that's how mine were done. I've thought that if bolted the bolt is there that clamps the connector to the frame, but welded it maybe pulling on the one side of the rail(stressing it). Using a U shaped brace has crossed my mind. I'm probably just paranoid.  :scratchchin:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

firefighter3931

Good work Mike....welding in the SF connectors is the only way to go....no question !  :2thumbs:

The XHD springs are a good compromise between performance and ride quality  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Mike,
I'm building a Charger -68 R/T with about the same torque as you have and is also considering subframe connectors but can't seem to get over
the feeling of "destroying" the car away if you weld them in but I start to realize it will be necessary. I hope I will not regret it.  :scratchchin:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

FLG

Belgium,

Dont see how this would destroy the car. Sometimes i really dont see why someone would restore a car to EXACT factory specs unless its something real special or just not a driver or run at the strip. Bottom line is if it can be un-done it dosnt hurt the long term value of the car. Who says if you sell the car and the guy for some reason dosnt want them he cant just take a blade to them and cut them off, clean up where they were welded and just paint over it?

squeakfinder

The big difference I noticed was upon hard acceleration. Without SF connectors my car would twist after installing the 440. It doesn't do that now after welding the SF connectors in.

I've heard to many horror stories about passenger doors not working properly on subframe cars with big horse power. These cars are old, and to me, not reinforcing there structure will do more damage.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Belgium R/T -68

I"m convinced and will go for the weld-on ones. :2thumbs: I guess it's a mental thing to not connect all improvements to a need of using the car
on the strip. Hell, I've complained over the driveablity of my Mopars for 20 years and now I'm building a stroker so why put the money in it if
you can't enjoy driving in it.  ;)
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

BB1

Delete my profile

gordo1968charger

i welded mine in,greatly improved ride,using superstock springs too
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

six-tee-nine

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

towscum

1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

R2

Mine are welded in,,,,it was night and day after installing them,,,,,car is much more stable,,and no more "twist" when you nail it... :cheers: