News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Could use a little support...

Started by dkn1997, November 01, 2008, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Wow, that is just sad.

Glad no one was hurt.

dkn1997

I just poked around online.  without the grill, it's about 1500 in parts I need. so round that up to 3 grand and that should cover the parts.   I don't want to fix this myself, but if I have to, I will.  I am not losing my car over this.  I do anticipate being off the road for a long time if the insurance decides to get cute and not pay me. 
RECHRGED

Charger-Bodie

WOW !  :o That sucks! Sorry to hear about this, hope you find a good shop to fix it for you.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dkn1997

Mike (mr angry) called me last night and gave the name of the shop that did the work on angrier daytona.  I'm going to arrange to trailer it there next week for an estimate.  Thanks Mike!!! 
RECHRGED

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nh_mopar_fan

Geez, that sucks.

The important thing is that neither of you were hurt.

The geezers on the road are more of a danger than anything else.

Ghoste

Yep, we took my grandmother off the road the very same day she admitted that she couldn't see the traffic any more than a few cars away when pulling out of her drive.  If she didn't see anything in that few cars field then she just pulled out and went for it.  It's a sad thing to do to a loved one and I very much dread the day when I can't drive either but it's a necessary evil.

firefighter3931

Well that just sucks !  :icon_smile_blackeye: Very happy to hear there were no injuries !  :2thumbs:

The only good thing about this whole experience is that it happened at the end of the driving season and you have all winter to fix it up.  :P

Go after the Geezers insurance company with a vengance !!!  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dkn1997

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 02, 2008, 09:39:44 AM
Well that just sucks !  :icon_smile_blackeye: Very happy to hear there were no injuries !  :2thumbs:

The only good thing about this whole experience is that it happened at the end of the driving season and you have all winter to fix it up.  :P

Go after the Geezers insurance company with a vengance !!!  :yesnod:

Ron

I will Ron, but I feel that with them, it's just another old car.  I don't know which "book" they use to determine what my car is worth...NADA lists it pretty high, and I'm looking into others.  I just think that when it comes down to it, they will pull some sort of guide that nobody's ever heard of out of their asses and say, "her'es 500.00 for the old car and now you have to buy it back from us too"
RECHRGED

The70RT

I don't see why you would have a problem with the insurance. You could still get an appraisal.  If they look around at others in price they will know it is not just another old car. If anything your insurance company should fight the other guys insurer. If not just hold your ground with some estimates you get and threaten them with a lawyer......not that you have to get one right away, if that's where it ends up going. Good Luck :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mike DC

Man, sorry it happened.  Glad you're all OK.

The car can be fixed.  At worst you might have to yank a front framerail, and the outer skin is all repro'd but the grille.  Throw enough money at it and it'll get fixed fine.  Collision damage isn't even nearly as difficult to deal with as rust damage is. 

-----------------------------------------------------

This is why I shake my head when guys say, "big deal about the bad brakes & seatbelts in this thing, I know how to drive."  It's not THEIR driving that they need to worry about. 

Chris G.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 02, 2008, 09:39:44 AM

:iagree:

That's a scary pic. No injuries is the main thing.

Finding everything you need for only $1500 is not bad at all. Car should be back just in time for Spring.

bull

Dang, that looks like it was a hard hit. :o Sorry about that but what can you do? You-know-what happens and all you can do is be prepared, which you were. :2thumbs:

Anyway, I still have an original valance I've been hanging on to if you need one. It's bent a little from normal use but many body and paint guys would rather work with a bent original than an ill-fitting repop. I picked it up on a package deal about three years ago and never used it but if you can use it it's all yours. It's even red.

And after this you might want to increase that agreed-to insurance value. ;)

RD

sorry to hear that man, glad both you and your daughter are okay.  parts can be replaced, lives cannot.

hope everything works well for you.  God bless.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

dkn1997

Quote from: dkn1997 on November 02, 2008, 06:45:41 AM
I just poked around online.  without the grill, it's about 1500 in parts I need. so round that up to 3 grand and that should cover the parts.   I don't want to fix this myself, but if I have to, I will.  I am not losing my car over this.  I do anticipate being off the road for a long time if the insurance decides to get cute and not pay me. 

good thing I rounded it up to 3K on the parts.  forgot a few things like radiator, grill molding...grill!!!  so let's call it 4K!!
RECHRGED

rt green

glad to hear everyone is ok. sucks that it had to happen. wish you luck on getting it back together.
third string oil changer

terrible one

Aghhh

That's horrible man! To mimic everyone else, I'm really glad that you and yours are okay. That aside though, ouch!! Any pictures of the other guy's car? What did he have to say about it?  :brickwall:

dkn1997

I didn't say one word to the guy.  he was pushing 80, cut his face open and I was too busy making sure my daughter was not freaking out to care much about him, my car, his car or anyone else. 
RECHRGED

mopar-or-no-car

When an old lady T boned in my chally my insurance company gave me MARKET value they went out and found cars just like mine and that is what they gave me! So if it was me I would insist the insurance companies did that! They did total it so they paid me the market value and I bought it back for the salvage value of some rediculous price of $300.00 so I ended up with a Ton of money to fix it and I found a body shop to do the work for what was left!! so if you stick to your guns you should have no problems!!   :2thumbs:  Oh btw I am real glad to hear that you and your daughter came out it with out a scratch on you!! that is fantastic news!!in
Real WOMEN drive MOPARS!!!!!

jmanscharger

Thank God everyone is ok. Please listen to the post above you are due market value or your car to be made whole.
The other guys insurance should pay you in full for the cost of fixing your car. If they try to pull a fast one your insurance will probably help(and having it insured as a classic will help and you may find out how good your company is as your advocate getting money out of another company), but you can appeal if needed. You can get several estimates if you are worried about them lowballing you. Look for hidden damage, you were not at fault and the insurance needs to make your car whole again.  (In the past people would take the money fix it themselves and pocket the difference- get hit=make money ). If they say your car is totalled you can present others in similar condition and prices- they will be more likely to spend $8000 to fix than $25,000 plus to replace. Your agreed value should not come into play because it should not be your insurance paying (you are not in a no-fault state right? this was not your fault, if it was $9500 would be all you could get from YOUR company). Was the other guy uninsured? The quality of his insurance is really the question here
Like the ads say don't just settle to get it quick if they lowball you.
1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

Mike DC

Realistically, they may only pay you the $9K figure.  The car may be worth more but it depends on how they deal with things. 

If this happens, and if they declare the car "totalled," then it'll be auctioned off.  Some companies give you automatic first option to buy it back for whatever value they had decided the wrecked car still had as salvage.   So you would be buying back your wrecked car with that same $9K they handed you, you keep whatever's left over, and you do as you please with the wrecked car & the rest of the $9K.   

I think this should be the worst case scenario.  It should be, if you get the lowest possible figure but the insurance companies basically play you honestly.  You may do much better depending on things. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever you do, it sounds to me like you should ABSOLUTELY NOT walk away from this fight if you're not either holding a repaired car, or else the minimum original $9K agreed-upon figure in cash (before you try to re-purchase your wrecked car again).  FIGHT BACK if they try to neither fix your car for you, nor give you $9K in cash minimum. 

Whether that's the real value or not, either way, you were still paying monthly for that amount.  If the companies are gonna start calling your car less than that figure, then it was your insurance company's problem to notice this fact & lower your monthly premiums a long time ago. 

moparstuart

if you have to buy it back you get a salvage title , which is not good for resales in the future  :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: moparstuart on November 03, 2008, 04:34:08 PM
if you have to buy it back you get a salvage title , which is not good for resales in the future  :Twocents:

That's not usually the case. Most commonly the insured has first option to retain ownership of the car, they just subtract the salvage value from the insurance check and the title never changes hands.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparstuart

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 03, 2008, 04:44:48 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 03, 2008, 04:34:08 PM

That's not usually the case. Most commonly the insured has first option to retain ownership of the car, they just subtract the salvage value from the insurance check and the title never changes hands.
must be different in missouri , if they total it and you buy it back you get a salvage title

The70RT

[/quote]

That way in Kansas too. I did about 10 like that. They just paid me. Yeah bad drivers in Kansas. I bet I have had over a dozen accidents and never got a ticket.....except 1 when I ran down a hit and run driver and wiped him out  :D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us