News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Could use a little support...

Started by dkn1997, November 01, 2008, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Ron, that's a great idea and I am going to look into it.  I still haven't gotten the final number from metlife, so the point may be moot.  but that's a good idea.  I have plenty of recent photos of the car, that's not a problem.
RECHRGED

daytonakid

Ron, You need to find someone in your state who knows how to help people deal with this non sense. It will take time but you are in the right. We had a customer who was badgered illegally I might add for a week by the others insurance to go through her insurance and they would then pay the bill. They also told her if she wanted them to fix her car she had to take it to their shop (illegal also). My son guided her through it and they are paying us to fix her car. She now is entitled to lose of use,diminished value and her rates can not go up, and she does not have to pay the deductible out of her pocket. We have another customer with a collector car that a flat bed tow truck dropped literally off the truck and did over 15,000 dollars of damage to it. They called while he was driving out of town and offered him 3000 dollars for his car when one just like it sold in town within the last month for 9500. They told him that was their offer. Oh by the way it has been a month since his car was damaged. He is going to stand his ground his car is not as nice as the one that sold but he should get at least 5000 for it and they are on the hook for 30 to 40 dollars a day for loss of use which can not be counted toward the amount given for the car. We had another customer this week who was forced by the insurance company to go to their estimating appointment at their drive in claims center even though he wanted us to fix the car. He made them pay for his time and they did pay him for a days pay about 250.00. They then made an appointment to drop their car off to us and meet the adjuster at our shop and they worked him over pretty good. They ended up paying the husband and the wife for their time at our shop. Our state has a no steering law but the insurance commission doesn't enforce it. If more people stood up they would be less likely to abuse people like this. These people are also entitled to diminished value, loss of use. Make sure to record any conversations with the insurance company from now on. Make sure to do it legally. In our state it is legal to record a phone conversation if one party knows it is being recorded. Check your laws. We have signs at our shop that inform anyone coming on to the property they can be recorded at any time. It has helped keep people operating by the law. If you have them on record doing illegal things you then have much more leverage to get what you have coming.  I could give you example after example of people that got what they had coming because they stood up for what is right.
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

Mike DC

I agree.  Stand up and fight this every step of the way.  As long as Metlife is paying the whole thing (and they should) then they have no business even letting your insured-for figure with AC sway their decision.  They owe it to you to go by whatever an appraiser says it's worth.  Anyone who calls your car a sub-$10K car at the time of the hit is on crack. 

I don't believe for a second that MetLife is so ignorant about old classic cars to know they owe you.  They're not really just thinking it's "an old high-mileage 1960s 2-dr Dodge," as much as they'd like you to believe that.

If they're in the insurance business at all, then they've dealt with at least a few classic cars being crunched before.  Even if it's true that MetLife doesn't really know what your '68 Charger is currently worth . . . I guarantee you that MetLife is still AWARE that they don't really know its curent value.  And we all know there's no way in hell that the value of your (pre-impact) car will appraise at only $9500.  Not by your appraiser, not by their own, not by AC's, and not by the body shop itself.

IMO they're just looking at this outdated AC agreed-value figure and spotting a potential angle to exploit.  They're hoping you'll buy the phony reasoning that your AC agreed-value figure applies to them too when it really does not.   They've just figured out that last time YOU agreed on a value for this car, the number was way below what they suspect they really owe you these days.  Now they're gonna try very hard to talk you into accepting that if they can get away with it.   

dkn1997

I agree they are playing games...but I don't know if they know about my agreed value from AC.  they haven't said anything to me and so far the only thing I have heard is that it's totalled.  but they could still know.
RECHRGED

hemi-hampton

Tell them OK, It's totalled, My Appraiser sez it's worth $30,000. Pay me my $30,000 & I'll be on my way. LEON.

dkn1997

don't forget the $500.00 buy back :cheers:
RECHRGED

dkn1997

Ok...so the saga continues..bear with me because it all works out in the end...
My company is American Collectors
Old man who caused accident is Metlife

AC totals the car due to my 9500 agreed value.  so the claims guy calls me and tells me he has good news and that it's going to work out in my favor.  He says that they had a salvage bid of 9600.00 so the good news is that if I agree to take 6000.00, they will allow me the honor of keeping the car.  other wise, I can take the 9500 and they are taking the car.  so after I get up off the floor and spit the vomit out of my mouth, :puke: i ask him how it's working out in my favor when my choices are either selling my car for less than 1/2 of it's worth or agree to accept a settlement for 1/2 of what it will take to get it fixed?  he has no answer.  I know it's not their fault that I underinsured the car, but don't tell me you are doing me some favor when i'm getting nailed in the ass with no lube.

Now I'm on to phase 2, dealing with Metlife this past week. They have previousely told me the car is totalled and that a total loss rep will call me.  I hounded them mon, tues and finally found out that at that point in time, they hadn't determined if they were even liable for my damages and therefore couldn't even talk money till that decision was made.  fast forward to yesterday, I haven't slept in a week, I'm thinking about taking a second job to pay for the repairs to my car, and I get a voicemail from claims rep at met life that they ARE accepting full liability for my loss.  1st bit of good news since I sat down at the table to eat this shit sandwich!!  I spoke to the total loss rep later and right now, they will give me over 12k (what they think the car is worth), buy back car from them 1000.00.  so I walk away with 11K give or take.  I questioned how exactly they determined this and she admitted she didn't have much documentation.  I restrained myself and told her about ebay, autotrader, etc...sites where similar cars are still going for much more.  She said she was willing to work withme and was very nice.  So this weekend I am rounding up any recent sales of chargers I can and forwarding them to her.  I'm sure I will get more money from them than they offered, but not sure how much more.  even at the current number, I will be able to get the car fixed if I really scrimp and scrounge...so that's a good thing. 

if anyone has recent (within the last month) links to COMPLETED  sales on the bag, autotrader, craigs list, etc...please post them here or PM me.  I cannot use current  active auctions because we all know that some are just unrealistic, so completed sales only.  Thanks so much
RECHRGED

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

Quote from: moparstuart on November 22, 2008, 01:30:39 PM
great news hope it all works out

:yesnod:  sounds like its going to work out ok  ,   :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Nice to see this thread start to take a turn in another direction.  Good luck and I hope it continues going this way.

hemi-hampton

Looks like it's time to take that ride down that 60 foot razor blade into a bucket of Iodine. Didn't I say they'll say it worth $10k & then Auction for $10k & get there money back :scratchchin: Pretty much what they are saying now :scratchchin:

Steve P.

On top of everything else you have been dealing with, now, "IF YOU ACCEPT THIS DEAL" you will have a a repaired classic with a TOTALED/REPAIRED title.  That doesn't work very well in some states for resale. It also doesn't work out very well when you INSURE it. 

I suggest you contact your AC agent and discuss this with him... I know a guy here that went through all this with a top winning show camero. He was hit from behind. Not his fault. Car could be fixed but NOT insured in Florida again. Now he has a Chevelle.. Oh well... 

Check it out.. Talk to the agent like the car is HIS.... 

:Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dkn1997

American collectors is out of it.  I am dealing with metlife now and at the bare minimum I am getting enough to get the car repaired.  NY doesn't have titles for cars this old, so I don't know how  salvage title can be issued.  I'm still hoping to get Metlife to come up enough not to total the car. they are at 12 and change now.  If I can get it to 16 or 17 the car is not totalled.  the person at metlife admitted she didn't have much info as far how they determined the value and said they would up it if I provide info. she also asked me websites to look on so she could check herself.  I don't plan on taking the razor ride because I am keeping the car and being paid enough to fix it.

resale does not matter too much to me, as I plan to be buried in this car. Besides, I have pictures of all damage/repair processes, and if I ever sold it, I would be completely up front about it.  it's getting fixed right and will actually be better than it was.
RECHRGED

hemi-hampton

I'd get a unbiased Professional Appraisal. Lets say he Appraise's at $20,000. Have Metlife give you $20k. Buy back for $1,000. Pay $10k to fix & pocket $9k. Sounds good to me.  It's that or the blade & Iodine :o LEON.

Steve P.

Or use the rest to replace the top and do a complete paint...    ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dkn1997

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 22, 2008, 07:09:51 PM
I'd get a unbiased Professional Appraisal. Lets say he Appraise's at $20,000. Have Metlife give you $20k. Buy back for $1,000. Pay $10k to fix & pocket $9k. Sounds good to me.  It's that or the blade & Iodine :o LEON.

if it's 20k, then 10-12K or repairs won't equal a total loss, and they will pay me what thier adjuster came up with along with any information pertaining to the repairs I provide.  besides, I'm not in this to make money. I just want my car fixed. 
RECHRGED

Steve P.

I understand and agree. BUT this is your car that was NOT hit before hand and you missed a show and you have been worrying AND put out.. Why SHOULDN'T they pay for your loss?? ?? ??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dkn1997

I hear you steve...and I am going to consider what you and hemihampton are saying.  I'm pretty passionate about this whole thing because of how much this car means to me....so right now I am just experiencing sheer relief.   I already have information to give this woman that puts the car in the 20K range.  It's all still going on and nothing is final yet.  I need a couple of days to digest all of this instead of going off like roman candle like i usually do.
RECHRGED

billssuperbird

Ghoste

Although Roman candle mode may no longer be needed, remember that your passion is what got you this far.  The other thing insurance companies are really good it doing is the "good cop-bad cop" routine.  The first adjuster was the prick and you didn't turtle on them so now they have this nice understanding lady call you who only wants to help.  Trust me, it's not about helping you, it's about softening you to help them.  Stay strong, you don't have to be an overbearing a-hole, but stay strong.

mikepmcs

words were never better spoken.    :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Tilar

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2008, 10:21:09 AM
Although Roman candle mode may no longer be needed, remember that your passion is what got you this far.  The other thing insurance companies are really good it doing is the "good cop-bad cop" routine.  The first adjuster was the prick and you didn't turtle on them so now they have this nice understanding lady call you who only wants to help.  Trust me, it's not about helping you, it's about softening you to help them.  Stay strong, you don't have to be an overbearing a-hole, but stay strong.

Man that is as true as it gets. I've been in the body shop business before and 2 things you need to always remember about the insurance business:

1) They will screw you every chance they get, and 2) They will do anything within their power to accomplish rule number 1.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Charger_Fan

Man, I don't know how I missed this thread before...OUCH! :o Glad you & your daughter came out of it ok.
Some of the damage on yours is about how bad mine is/was. My cowl got dimpled too, and wrinkled the inner fenders a little...but the doors still opened fine. Funny how well the rest of these old cars hold up when the whole car isn't designed as one big 'crumple zone'. :lol:

Here's hoping for a very favorable outcome, with as little out of pocket money as possible. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

dkn1997

screw it, I'm going for Hemi/RT type money  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: 

Just kidding. It will all work out.  believe it or not, I am having a really hard time coming up with any chargers similar to mind that are going in the 20K range. 

they are either r/t's for 50 or project basket cases for 5. 

RECHRGED

Ghoste

Which puts yours right in the middle; low 20's.