News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car delivered today, packed up and took a 200 mile road trip.......

Started by 73TXRallye440, October 31, 2008, 10:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73TXRallye440

Car got here at 2 today, helped the driver unload the car, got it off, fired it up, took it to the gas station filled it up. Took it home, threw some bags in the trunk and took off for central texas hill country for the weekend. I snapped a few pictures, sorry for the poor quality, it was my cell phone camera. Wow, thats all I can say going from a 318 2bbl to a 4bbl 440ci. I will say this, the car definately needs overdrive. As you can see in one pic, I got up and was cruising with traffic at 75 and was taching 4500 rpm. I dont know the redline, factory tach says 5500 so that had me a bit worried. Figured id change the oil tomorrow, what filter do you guys suggest? What oil do you guys suggest? How many quarts? Thanks for that info before hand. Anyway, car ran amazing. Only two very minor issues. I jumped up to 80-85 running with a corvette for about 20 miles, exited to get to my 3rd gas station stop and the temp needle creeped over to the H, so I jumped back on the freeway and it cooled down- may need to flush radiator and/or add an auxilary fan. Other issue was I was getting on freeway and just put the accelarator to the floor, it downshifted, jumped, then lunged like it was going to fall on it's face, i left off, it's like it caught it's breathe and I gradually pressed the accelarator and it seemed fine- may need fine tuning on the carb? :shruggy: Anyway, I plan on driving it another 100-200 miles tomorrow, should be fun. Next week when I get back it goes into the shop for the front chin spoiler, take window tint off, install the headers, 3" exhaust, and im debating the 5 speed Tremec TKO install. It DEFINATELY needs overdrive on the freeway. Anyway, here are a few pics, enjoy!

about to come off the truck

backed off the ramps and first time in Texas

first pic after taking stickers off

73TXRallye440

rear angle of it, man i love it!

here is a pic of the tach/speedo

cruising down I-35 at 80 :cheers: :icon_smile_cool:

73TXRallye440

Aero426

Congrats on your new purchase.

Regarding oil, you will want to avoid the current on the shelf oils rated API-SM, or the diesel oils rated CJ.   The new oils are formulated with siginificantly less Zinc and Phosphate anti-wear agents compared to what your engine was designed for.   Assuming the car will not be driven below freezing, I would look for something like Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 which I've found at Auto Zone.  That's one is currently a winner and is about $3 per qt.     Brad Penn makes the old Kendall GT (green oil) which is also excellent, but you need to have it shipped in.  About $5 per qt.    Diesel oil rated CI would be fine.  Check with NAPA.     You can also add oil supplements like GM EOS or STP red bottle to increase the Zn & P, but then you are playing chemist. 

For a filter, I'd go with a NAPA Gold or Wix.  Both are the same filter and are excellent.  Avoid the Fram orange filters.  They are junk.

73TXRallye440

Quote from: DougSchellinger on October 31, 2008, 10:53:29 PM
Congrats on your new purchase.

Regarding oil, you will want to avoid the current on the shelf oils rated API-SM, or the diesel oils rated CJ.   The new oils are formulated with siginificantly less Zinc and Phosphate anti-wear agents compared to what your engine was designed for.   Assuming the car will not be driven below freezing, I would look for something like Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 which I've found at Auto Zone.  That's one is currently a winner and is about $3 per qt.     Brad Penn makes the old Kendall GT (green oil) which is also excellent, but you need to have it shipped in.  About $5 per qt.    Diesel oil rated CI would be fine.  Check with NAPA.     You can also add oil supplements like GM EOS or STP red bottle to increase the Zn & P, but then you are playing chemist. 

For a filter, I'd go with a NAPA Gold or Wix.  Both are the same filter and are excellent.  Avoid the Fram orange filters.  They are junk.

wow, thanks for all the info. How many quarts does it take for a 440?

Aero426

I'd grab five plus an extra to put on the shelf.

One big reason for the new oils is the ten year emission warranties on new cars.   The Zn & P can potentially plug converters over time.   An engine with roller cam or overhead cam is much less of an issue.   But the new oils are not friendly to our flat tappet cams.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 73TXRallye440 on October 31, 2008, 10:33:16 PM
Oh, I did the math on my mileage, 6.9 mpg :icon_smile_big:

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!

Thats 6.9 SMILES per gallon.... right?   :coolgleamA:  :coolgleamA:  :coolgleamA:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

CB

man I am happy for you that you had a blast in your new ride!!
The pics look good, it is a beautifull 3rd gen  :cheers:
Enjoy the car!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

TruckDriver

:cheers:

This is the same car before the Magnum wheels? Or is it an identical one. I know there was a older member here that had a '73 Rallye in the same color that had the Nascar wheels on it before the Magnums.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

73TXRallye440

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 01, 2008, 02:13:08 AM
Quote from: 73TXRallye440 on October 31, 2008, 10:33:16 PM
Oh, I did the math on my mileage, 6.9 mpg :icon_smile_big:

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!

Thats 6.9 SMILES per gallon.... right?   :coolgleamA:  :coolgleamA:  :coolgleamA:

I know, this thing could get FOOTAGE and id still drive it :icon_smile_cool:

73TXRallye440

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on November 01, 2008, 05:22:06 AM
:cheers:

This is the same car before the Magnum wheels? Or is it an identical one. I know there was a older member here that had a '73 Rallye in the same color that had the Nascar wheels on it before the Magnums.

That's the same car!!

One question- I want to find an original air cleaner assembly- where is the best place to find a complete set? Want to go back with as much original equipment as possible.

73TXRallye440

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on November 01, 2008, 07:47:21 AM
Rally's Rule, here is mine. :D

See, I love how your's looks with the chin spoiler and no bumperettes! Doing those mods later this week. I just hope when the bumperettes comes off they dont leave bad markings or are an eye sore with places left on the bumpers.

BMOTOXSTAR

You will need 4 bumper bolts, the chrome ones, to fill the holes where the "Bumper Guard" went.
I did the same on mine.

I may have a extra Dual Snorkel Orange BB Air Cleaner for your Charger. I will look this weekend.

The chin spoiler will really look sharp, did the same as well as a rear go wing. I think they look nice on the 73-74 Chargers.Either are correct for them but hey, make it your own, mine is a nice solid driver at best.

What I did was also added the rear R/T tails and I am going to put on hideaways and and R/T hood this Spring. I figure it my be overkill but they are bolt on items that I can take off if it looks to gaudy.
I know what you mean about the gears. I was on my way to a Mopar show this Summer and My Satellite has 318 2BB & my Rally has 400BB 323 gears in the rear and on the highway it seemed like I was missing a gear in the Charger.
Here are some pic's from a local car show this past summer. M<an, this guy has all the factory goodies in here, I believe it even has Cruise Control. :drool5:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

no318

Nice car.  I think I have an extra dual snorkel air cleaner, too.  PM me if you are interested.

bordin34

Looks good, are you sure your 3rd gear isn't slipping? What is the rear end ratio. My 3rd gear slips a lot and the rpms are high on the highway.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

69*F5*SE

Very nice car. You'll surely have some great times in it   :yesnod:  Ted

Charger1973

73TXRallye440

Quote from: bordin34 on November 01, 2008, 03:47:35 PM
Looks good, are you sure your 3rd gear isn't slipping? What is the rear end ratio. My 3rd gear slips a lot and the rpms are high on the highway.

I dont think so, but they may be. I have 3.55's in the back.

69charger2002

man alive i'd be worried about taching 4500 that is nuts.. 3500 scares me to be honest especially over 10-15 miles of it buzzing so high
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

73TXRallye440

yea, I think it's time to order the Tremec TKO transmission. :yesnod:

Does anyone know where I can find a nice, clean steering column for a 73 Charger that was meant for a standard car?

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722