News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you remove the bottom piston ring?

Started by WH23G3G, October 31, 2008, 04:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

What kinda tool do I have to have to get the bottom piston ring off? I got the piston ring installer pliers and was able to remove the top two rings on the piston with no problem at all. I can't see how you remove the bottom ring. You definitely can't do it with these piston ring pliers, the bottom ring doesn't move out so  you can spread it apart.

62 Max

You can do it by hand.Get one end out and just spiral it off.Not hard at all.

Rolling_Thunder

also remember there are three separate rings on the last groove...   not one big one   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

62 Max

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 31, 2008, 05:15:41 PM
also remember there are three separate rings on the last groove...   not one big one   :2thumbs:

And they are the oil rings and you can't break them.(actually two rings and a expander)

WH23G3G

I got the bottom rings off and it was easy. Do I need to keep the rings for anything? Do I need to buy a ring groove cleaner, it doesn't appear there is even any buildup where the rings were. I've been soaking each piston and rod assembly in a bucket of purple power degreaser full strength over night. There wasn't much of a carbon layer on the top, so with initial cleaning when still installed in the motor, the piston is virtually spotless when I get it out of the bucket of degreaser.

Rolling_Thunder

if you're replacing the rings you can toss the old ones...    new set comes with the rings and expander...     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

WH23G3G

All the pistons and everything in the motor is out now. But the number 6 piston was kinda difficult to get out. It didn't have any noticeable ridge at the top, nothing was binding when I was trying to push it out. In fact there isn't any ridge on any of the cylinders. But for some reason number 6 took awhile to get out. When the engine was running when I got the car, it ran strong and didn't have any unusual engine noises. The only problem was the exhaust pipe on to the manifold had a hole in it, so it was loud. After dunking the #6 piston/assembly in a bucket of purple power overnight it came out clean, but the rings I still couldn't remove. They were stuck in the ring lands. I had to get a pick to pry the top apart so I could get the piston ring pliers on. The bottom rings of course was still just as easy to get out as all the others. I can't get the middle ring out at all. It's too hard to even get a pick edge in there to spread it apart. There was a good bit of carbon on the first ring land after I got that ring off, so I don't know if this ring is just stuck with carbon. It won't even move. All the other pistons rings would move loosely. Looking at the top of the piston, it some discoloration and looks like some very slight finish removal. I don't know if there was a problem on this cylinder of not. I'll take a good as possible photo of the piston when I can figure out how to get the last ring off. Any suggestions on how to make the piston ring come loose?