News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Build a Lambo in your basement

Started by PocketThunder, October 30, 2008, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

http://jalopnik.com/5069251/exclusive-i-am-the-guy-with-a-lamborghini-in-the-basement

My college roommates brother works with this guys good friend.

Maybe i need to try and find a way to get my Charger into my basement so i can get more work done on it in during our long cold winters that we have up here in Minnesnowda.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jeryst

Wow! And I think I've accomplished something when I make breakfast.

Magnumcharger

I definitely can empathise with this guy!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

BigBlockSam

QuoteWow! And I think I've accomplished something when I make breakfast.

:yesnod: me too
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Troy

He's a master of understatement... :P

QuoteOpen headers in a basement, no matter how ready you are for it, will catch you off guard.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Troy on October 30, 2008, 12:17:44 PM

QuoteOpen headers in a basement, no matter how ready you are for it, will catch you off guard.

Troy

I wonder if he meant himself or his wife? :smilielol:

So I wonder if he's gonna turn that dirt ramp into cement & slap a roll-up door in that wall opening? I would. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

Old Moparz

Pretty cool, but I'd have done it in the living room since I'd be able to open & close a wall a lot easier & faster than digging a hole & busting up block.  :smilielol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hotrod98

Quote from: Troy on October 30, 2008, 12:17:44 PM

Troy

Yeah, like the time I fired my alcohol dragster in the trailer. Whoops.
Me and a couple of friends still suffer from a little hearing loss from that one.  :icon_smile_big:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Mike DC

I wonder whether that's really any less work than trying to restore a 40yo rusted out example of a given car.

A hand-built aluminum 68-70 Charger would be pretty awesome. 

Brock Samson

Back in the mid '80s I too built a Lambo in my garage...
maybe not quite as true to the original as this guys but the only tools i had were a bottle opener and a hammer.

:shruggy:

RallyeMike

QuoteI wonder whether that's really any less work than trying to restore a 40yo rusted out example of a given car.

Wonder no longer. The answer is ... definitely NO.

I love reading stories like this. It's amazing what people can accomplish. I remember a 40's truck in Hot Rod that the guy took and shrunk down to 4/5 size over winter. Every piece of the frame and body! And then had the balls to paint it black. His reasoning? There was nothing good on TV.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mike DC

I'd believe the resto takes longer too.  The guy in the article didn't really build an exact Lambo, he put a life-sized replica of one together with sheet aluminum and steel square tubing underneath it all. 

I think he's very lucky he picked a car that actually still seems cool to have after 10-20 years. 

Current price of a used mid-80s Lambo Countach - $100,000

Current price of a used mid-80s used Lotus Esprit - $15,000 

RallyeMike

QuoteI'd believe the resto takes longer too.

From building a car from nothing (scratch)?! No way. Not EVEN close.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

PocketThunder

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 01, 2008, 12:30:46 AM
QuoteI'd believe the resto takes longer too.

From building a car from nothing (scratch)?! No way. Not EVEN close.
:iagree:  when you start from  a set of prints vs. cutting out rust you are already ahead of the game.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Mike DC

QuoteFrom building a car from nothing (scratch)?! No way. Not EVEN close.

But we wouldn't be talking about building an exact replica of a Charger.  Not one that 10,000 parts from an AMD or YearOne catalog will bolt right up to.

This guy's car relates to a TRUE stock Lambo the same way a 1970s NASCAR relates to a production 3rd-gen Charger.  This guy took the basic dimensions of a Lambo, built a square tubing frame to hold the hand-pounded outer skin panels together, and then race-car'd the insides of it.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free