News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Machinist may have ruined my block and #4 billet main cap...

Started by Blakcharger440, October 26, 2008, 02:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I took all my parts to a local machinist and I think he may have ruined the block and #4 billet main cap.
He told me that he had made a mistake but it wouldnt effect the engine at all and it would not be a problem.

The problem is on the #4 main saddle of the block and #4 billet cap. With the line boring tool he was using  he reamed out more than was necessary and created a groove about 1/8 inch wide toward the outside of the saddle surface on both cap and block. The groove would be located right under the chamfer of the bearing itself. The groove does not touch the tang or bearing locator as it is not that wide.

I can catch the groove barely with my finger nail on the billet main cap but it is not as deep on the block saddle.

I am hoping the block and maincap are useable and not totally ruined....but I think they may be. What do you think needs to be done in order to correct it or make it safe for my 512 stroker build up?

Some input would be great. Here is a pic of what I am talking about. If you look closely you can see the 1/8 inch groove on the surface of the saddle nearest to you.

The70RT

It sure isn't a good thing. How will you know till you run it a while and if it spins a bearing or wears funny then what?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

terrible one

I'm no expert, but I can go from what you said. I think the best way to deal with things like this is to just let them know. You should tell him what you've told us. Let him know what you think . . . just because he's the machinist doesn't mean you don't know what you're talking about. I would tell him that if he doesn't think it will effect the engine then he can keep the block and cap and find replacements . . . either that or sign something saying that you will be taken care of if the engine flies apart.

Chatt69chgr

If you really needed to fix the line boring mistake I wonder if you could just get another main cap, have the machinist use a nickel rod to weld over the messed up saddle, and then re-linebore.  Just an idea.  I have no idea if what I am suggesting is possible.  It could be that what your machinist says is correct, that is, that it won't be a problem.  Sounds like time for a expert second opinion.  How about calling one of the big outfits that does engines like Hughes, Ray Barton, or somebody and ask them what they think.  If they say that it is a problem and it can't be fixed, then I think I would be looking to your machinist to pay for another core block before you get too far along---plus perform all the machine work as though you were starting out from scratch.  May take a while to turn up a core but they are out there.  I wouldn't proceed until I was convinced that this was not a problem.

Rolling_Thunder

Hughes is the last company i would call for advice...      I doubt this would be an issue overall but you are the customer...     and the machinist screwed up...     if it erks you that much tell him to go hunting for another core.    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chatt69chgr

Hey Rolling Thunder-----what was the issue with Hughes?  I thought they were supposed to be pretty good.  Is it just a problem with their customer service or the products themselves?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 27, 2008, 02:56:38 PM
Hughes is the last company i would call for advice...      I doubt this would be an issue overall but you are the customer...     and the machinist screwed up...     if it erks you that much tell him to go hunting for another core.    :2thumbs:

What problems did you have with Hughes? Ive dealt with them several times and its always been a good experience.  :shruggy:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Rolling_Thunder

Well - every one of their cams I have ever used have gone flat...      their customer service leaves a lot to be desired...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 27, 2008, 08:18:31 PM
Well - every one of their cams I have ever used have gone flat...      their customer service leaves a lot to be desired...       

I have posted the same info. over there on moparts and many seem to think it will not be a problem.

I hope that Hughes Cams are not all bad since I had alreay purchased one to go in my 512 stroker.

Challenger340

That won't cause a problem, at least he's being honest.

Over on the side like that, won't compromise Integrity at all.
Run it it'll be fine.

A HUGHES Solid Flat Tappet Camshaft, is the only Solid Cam Manufacturer, that I've just about "made" the 900 HP mark with on a BB Mopar, 540 Inch Naturally Aspirated.(896 hp)

'nuff said.
Only wimps wear Bowties !