News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motor home advice

Started by AKcharger, October 26, 2008, 11:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Well I'm T minus 18 months from retirement and I'm plannng my "big" retirement trip. I plan to pck up an RV somewhere in Fla, drive around a bit (have to pick up my '70 from PA) then return to Alaska. Here's my questions:
- I think a class "C" fits my needs anything special too look for in those?
- I was planning to find an 8-10 Y/O model so I can pay cash...any problems there?
- Is there any brands/models to look for or avoid?
- Is disel powered a huge plus or just nice to have?
- What options/special equipment is MUST HAVE
- will be used to travel around the lower 48, tow my '70 with a car dolley to AK and after that used for weekend camping trips...mostly just wife and I
- Any good sources of info?

Thanks

bull

Quote from: AKcharger on October 26, 2008, 11:24:30 PM
Well I'm T minus 18 months from retirement and I'm plannng my "big" retirement trip. I plan to pck up an RV somewhere in Fla, drive around a bit (have to pick up my '70 from PA) then return to Alaska. Here's my questions:
- I think a class "C" fits my needs anything special too look for in those?
- I was planning to find an 8-10 Y/O model so I can pay cash...any problems there?
- Is there any brands/models to look for or avoid?
- Is disel powered a huge plus or just nice to have?
- What options/special equipment is MUST HAVE
- will be used to travel around the lower 48, tow my '70 with a car dolley to AK and after that used for weekend camping trips...mostly just wife and I
- Any good sources of info?

Thanks

I don't have a lot of advice in this area but I can possibly offer a few points of info. First off, what made you decide to go the motorhome route as opposed to the truck/travel trailer route? I have no agenda in asking, just curious.

Second, IMO you might be hard-pressed to find a bigger motorhome that is not diesel powered. I'm not sure how big the class C motorhome is that you are or will be looking at but I'm thinking that might be about all you're going to find in the 8-10 year-old range. At any rate, the only two problems with diesel engines is the noise and the fuel cost, but the cost can often be offset to a degree by the increased fuel economy. Aside from those two problems a diesel-powered motorhome would be better than a gas-powered one IMO. There's a reason every long-haul truck in this and most every other country is powered by diesel engines.

Big_John

Go to http://www.rv.net/forum/ and have a look around. There's even a huge post on old Dodges in the Class C section.

A couple things that I see to look for is water damage, especially in the older RVs and making sure it has enough towing capacity.

Old Moparz

I don't know the details, but make sure your driver's license covers whatever class vehicle you end up with. Adding a trailer to tow a car might put you into a certain weight class that your license may not be valid for. That means you're driving illegally & could have everything impounded. You should see all the landscapers stopped in my area to see if the driver is legal. Once they start towing the bigger enclosed trailers with their dump trucks, the weight class moves up.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Todd Wilson

Dont know the price range you want to spend but a motor home has advantages and disadvantages. Food for thought.............if its going to be you and your wife a pickup with a slide in camper may be the way to go. It can pull the charger and go camping and remove the camper and use for a pickup.  With an RV unless you are pulling a car with you leaving the camp site to go site see will be a pain as you got to pack it all up to go.  Gas RV's will eat you alive. Older van cab type RV's will have a range of engines from the 318-440  350/454 in them. The bigger square campers will all have big block engines. Gas hogs deluxe.  A fellow co worker had a newer Ford with the V10 and it still was a pig on fuel.  I really dont know of any of the older ones with diesels that arent the big rich retired people kinds.   You may be able to find a Ford PowerStroke camper in a smaller variety.

I would think an older v8 gas RV with the van style cab would be working rather hard to pull a charger and itself with anything less then a big block an even then it will drink gas. Just ask strat about his!

Todd

chargerboy69

This is something I just went through myself. Class A? Class C? or trailer? My parents bought motorhomes and trailers throughout my childhood so I have seen the advantages and dis-advantages of all.

Most Class C motorhomes are going to be gas. Some newer Class C's  will offer diesel, but those will be  pricey. Fleetwood and their off shoot brands like Wilderness and Mallard make some of the best around. Winnebago, Jayco, Tiaoga, Coachman and Holiday Rambler are good brands as well. All Class C will either have a Ford or Chevy chassis. I highly recommend the Chevy chassis. The 454 they put in those is a lot more reliable than the 460 or the Ford V10. And I feel they ride better too. When looking at any used RV make sure you look for water leaks. Mainly ceiling leaks or windows. Get the roof sealed every year. Must have items are A/C, stabilizing jacks at all four corners and a awning. And if you get a motorhome you will need a generator and a hitch.

The upside to a motorhome is they are easy to drive.

The downside is  drivetrain expenses. They are not cheep to get worked on at all.  A Class A is very expensive to work on. A brake job will be $1500.00 on up on a Class A. And the biggest downside is if you do not tow a vehicle, you have to un-hook everything, and completely pack up to go running to Walmart or sightseeing.

Just last week I purchased a 1995 36' Coachman trailer with a bunkhouse in the back. We love it. It has been very well taken care of and pulls easily behind my 3/4 ton Suburban.

The upside to a trailer is you do not have to un-hook everything and the maintenance cost is a lot less money.

The downside is they take some practice to learn to back up. But I have my CDL and have been driving like this for years.

Now is the time to buy a RV. They are as cheep as I have ever seen them. I paid $3700.00 for my trailer from a private seller. A dealer would sell my trailer for $8000.00 plus. Look on Craigslist and even E-Bay, there are a lot for sale now. You will always get a better deal from a private seller.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

chargerboy69

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

AKcharger

Thanks Guys

- Good point about the license!
- I'll have to check into that ditto on the water leaks...it should be resealed every year?
- Alrady signed up at the RV forum...my handle is AKcharger  :icon_smile_wink:
- EBay does have some excellent deals and that is another delema, Private seller or dealer? I don't want to spend a month living in a hotel looking for the "right" RV but at the same time I don't want to pay thousands extra to drive around a mega lot in a golf cart!

...Bull to answer your question the reason for an RV as opposed to trailer is practicality. 1) Need to tow back My charger, can't to that if we already have a trailer 2) Cost; stuff is about 25-40% cheaper in the lower 48 for about anything so if I  buy a RV down there is less expensive 3) an RV would be fun

Actually the plan started out with just me and the wife driving the Charger from PA up to AK, but then I thought about the parts I need to bring back up here (save shipping $$$$). So I was thinking of a way to hook up a trailer to the Charger, then thought hey I should get and RV and TOW the Charger...that's where I'm at now.

I joked with my wife I'm going to get "Veteran" license plates and join the "Good Sam" club and put the sticker on it somewhere...then I know I'm almost ready for the grave!

chargerboy69

Quote from: AKcharger on October 27, 2008, 03:22:47 PM

- Good point about the license!
- I'll have to check into that ditto on the water leaks...it should be resealed every year?
- Alrady signed up at the RV forum...my handle is AKcharger  :icon_smile_wink:
- EBay does have some excellent deals and that is another delema, Private seller or dealer? I don't want to spend a month living in a hotel looking for the "right" RV but at the same time I don't want to pay thousands extra to drive around a mega lot in a golf cart!

As far as a license, not sure about your state, but in my state you do not need a CDL, just your regular license. To be honest I have not heard you need a CDL or anything for any state, but I could be wrong. It has happened once or twice before.  :icon_smile_big:

As far a re-sealing the roof. You should get it checked once a year and it might need touched up. Just depends. Better to be safe than to replace water soaked ceiling and walls.

I would go with a private seller. A dealer has the overhead and big mark-ups. You can tell if a coach has been well taken care of.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/895028977.html

--Gerald Ford

PocketThunder

If its just you and the Mrs.  then you could cozy up in an airstream and pull it with the '70!  :yesnod:   :yesnod:   :yesnod:

http://www.airstream.net/
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jeryst

Not to hijack, but what are all the different classes of motorhomes, and what do they mean?

chargerboy69

Quote from: jeryst on October 27, 2008, 05:36:04 PM
Not to hijack, but what are all the different classes of motorhomes, and what do they mean?

The Class A is like a tour bus or what the NASCAR drivers use.

The Class B is more like a nice van.

The Class C is a van front with a bed over the top and rest of the coach in back.

Then the travel trailer.

Hope this helps.

--Gerald Ford

AKcharger

Quote from: chargerboy69 on October 27, 2008, 03:49:38 PM

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/895028977.html

That's EXACTLY what we're looking for...just a year too soon and the trip down the ALCAN would cost about 1/3 the purchase price in fuel!

jeryst

Just remember to offset the price of fuel with the money you'll be saving each night on rooms, meals, etc.