News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb Mix Settings In Cold Temps ...

Started by Johnny Charger, October 22, 2008, 09:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Charger

Hello Everyone.

I was just wondering what the settings are for my carb now that the cold temps are here  :shruggy: ?  Right now the carb screws are each set at 2.5 turns out and the idle is set at 950 rpms when warm in neutral, and 600 - 650 rpms when in gear with my foot on the brake.  I know that's a bit 'high', but the engine seems comfortable with that when idling.

The engine ran perfectly in the warm summer temps.  But once the temp dipped below 10 degrees C ( 50 F ), the car is chugging & coughing and having a heckuva time getting up & going   :shruggy:.  PLUS, the idle is rough as HECK too  :brickwall: .

So I was just wondering what the correct settings are for a Carter 625 cfm carb ( model #1406 ) on a 383 ?   I will be working on the carb tomorrow at the garage I work at, but the guys there aren't very knowledgeable about carbs.  Even the owner isn't very savvy when it comes to carbs.  So we'll be following the directions in the manual, while consulting with my Boss' 'goto Engine' guru at 'Hamilton Engines' here in Ontario.
Tired Of Working For Someone Else ? Would You Like To Work For Yourself From Home Instead ? Then Check Out This Website ...
www.totalfreedomforyou.com

Ghoste

The settings shouldn't have to change, is your choke working correctly?

histoy

Was the engine built with an intake gasket that seals off the exhaust gas crossover through the intake manifold?   That exhaust gas heats the intake when the engine is cold, and helps the performance of the engine until it reaches operating temperature.

Johnny Charger

Quote from: Ghoste on October 23, 2008, 03:54:06 AM
The settings shouldn't have to change, is your choke working correctly?

As far as I know, yes it is.  I will check that tomorrow.  Thanks.

Quote from: histoy on October 23, 2008, 07:49:12 AM
Was the engine built with an intake gasket that seals off the exhaust gas crossover through the intake manifold?   That exhaust gas heats the intake when the engine is cold, and helps the performance of the engine until it reaches operating temperature.

I honestly don't know  :shruggy: .  And the fellow who rebuilt the engine for me 3 years ago, we don't speak anymore.  As good a mechanic as he is, that's how big of an A$$Hole that he is too. 

I will be sure to ask my Boss at the garage tomorrow if he can tell about the gasket, and I will ask Jimmy the engine 'Guru' as well.

Thanks for the suggestions Guys.
Tired Of Working For Someone Else ? Would You Like To Work For Yourself From Home Instead ? Then Check Out This Website ...
www.totalfreedomforyou.com

Ghoste

Is the paint burning off the manifold over the crossover runner yet?  Not a sure indicator if it isn't burnt but if it is...

Silver R/T

but if you remove that gasket you'll be risking of getting vapor lock during hot summer months
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722