News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So we can no longer delete posts?

Started by bull, October 24, 2008, 12:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Or am I missing it? Crap, if this is the case then I won't have any way to deal with overt spelling mistakes or the "poster's remorse" I sometimes experience after sticking my foot in my mouth. :P

Troy

As far as I know, non-moderators have never been able to delete posts. I don't think there's anything new with this version of the software that would have changed those permissions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Weren't we allowed to delete our own posts before?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Troy

Ok, correction: You could delete a post/thread (I believe) up until the first reply. As fast as most threads generate replies around here you basically can't delete one. You can edit any of your posts unless the thread is locked. The permissions haven't changed but I'll double-check to make sure this is still the case.

Troy

BMOTOXSTAR

I had better make sure I do not post any dumb posts ..... :D
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

bull

Quote from: Troy on October 25, 2008, 10:02:18 AM
Ok, correction: You could delete a post/thread (I believe) up until the first reply. As fast as most threads generate replies around here you basically can't delete one. You can edit any of your posts unless the thread is locked. The permissions haven't changed but I'll double-check to make sure this is still the case.

Troy

Hmmm. :scratchchin: I know you could not delete a thread you started or delete your initial post in a thread you started but you could delete subsequent posts in your own threads or any of your own postings in other people's threads. Anyway, I thought it was a nice feature that I've used on several ocassions. I only wish I had the ability to take back what I said everywhere else in life, and now I can't do it here either. :'(

Troy

If that were the case it's been changed for a very long time. The settings in this forum are exactly the same as they were in the old one. You can (should be able to?) delete a new thread with no replies. Maybe I'm reading the "Help" wrong but you guys all have permission to delete your own threads - but not posts. The setting for deleting posts specifically says it doesn't apply to the first post in a thread (presumably because a "thread" is technically just a first post that isn't a reply to another). I could certainly understand that incorrectly and, if so, then you haven't had permissions to delete anything at all for a very long time (I haven't changed permissions since I set up the site over 3 years ago - excepts for the Classifieds).

Troy

bull

Quote from: Troy on October 25, 2008, 12:37:11 PM
If that were the case it's been changed for a very long time. The settings in this forum are exactly the same as they were in the old one. You can (should be able to?) delete a new thread with no replies. Maybe I'm reading the "Help" wrong but you guys all have permission to delete your own threads - but not posts. The setting for deleting posts specifically says it doesn't apply to the first post in a thread (presumably because a "thread" is technically just a first post that isn't a reply to another). I could certainly understand that incorrectly and, if so, then you haven't had permissions to delete anything at all for a very long time (I haven't changed permissions since I set up the site over 3 years ago - excepts for the Classifieds).

Troy

That's odd. I know I've deleted several posts during the past three years. Is it possible some member's permissions were different than those of others?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: bull on October 25, 2008, 10:22:41 AM
Quote from: Troy on October 25, 2008, 10:02:18 AM

Troy

Hmmm. :scratchchin: I know you could not delete a thread you started or delete your initial post in a thread you started but you could delete subsequent posts in your own threads or any of your own postings in other people's threads. Anyway, I thought it was a nice feature that I've used on several occasions. I only wish I had the ability to take back what I said everywhere else in life, and now I can't do it here either. :'(
:iagree:  I know I've deleted several threads within the last month or so, and can't anymore.  :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Magnumcharger

I hear what you're saying.
Sometimes I'll post something as a spur of the moment idea....then realize it was a mistake, or at very least it wasn't recieved well.
So as damage control, I'd just as soon pull the plug on the whole works.

Well, now I find that I cannot rename a thread, and delete a thread (before responses).
So much as I'd like to rectify my own problems, I can't.

As well, I'll try to post a picture, then I get a screen that tells me that there's already a picture with that name. Well and good, right?
I hit the back button and I get this: "You have already posted a reply in this thread". This is a problem.
What I have to do is go completely out of the thread, then go back in to post. Of course, the first post WASN'T actually posted. So that's definitely a new glitch.

Otherwise.....I'd still love to see a "picture page", like that on http://cuda-challenger.com/html/member_rides.php
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed