News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing chain

Started by GN, October 23, 2008, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN

How can one tell if the timing chain is going bad on a 74 318?

BigBlockSam

hi

if you put a timing light on the timing mark and it moves around a lot . that usually means your chain is stretched
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

FLG

Might also have a flat spot, poor performance...how long as it been on there?

firefighter3931

A quick and easy way to check for chain stretch is to rotate the engine backwards with a socket and watch to see how many degrees of crank rotation occurs before the rotor moves. Obviously the distributor cap needs to be removed.  ;)

If it moves a couple of degrees you are ok.....but most "tired" chains will move in excess of 5* and i've seen a few that were 10*+  :o

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BigBlackDodge

Watch those nylon chains when they go bad..........all the nylon bits will end up covering your oil pick screen in the pan. :-\

BBD