News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Barrett Jackson Scottsdale- what will happen this year?

Started by triple_green, October 22, 2008, 02:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

Was wondering what you guys thought was going to happen at B-J AZ this year. Will there be less cars because of the obvious downturn in prices? It looks to me like this has even affected the big dollar cars, maybe even more.

Will B-J have to change policies on reserves or lower the commission structures?

Maybe some real bargains to be had?

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

MichaelRW

There were some pretty good deals at the BJ auction last week in Vegas.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

TruckDriver

Quote from: MichaelRW on October 22, 2008, 05:37:41 PM
There were some pretty good deals at the BJ auction last week in Vegas.

There was? I didn't see anything I liked for under $20,000 :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

472 R/T SE

My good friend went to Scottsdale the past couple years and for the first time Vegas this year.  He done very well @ Scottsdale earlier this year so the beatin' he took at Vegas evens it out.  He restored a SCJ 429 Mustang and had $49k in it and it sold for $29k, ouch.  He didn't have any pix of the original metal under the paint or any in process pix and I kinda frowned on that.  I think the fact it didn't have #'s matching drivetrain hurt more than anything. 

But here was his take on Vegas:

"Pretty weak for my car, and a few others. Some really nice cars went
cheap. Some regular cars sold for too much. Really hard to get a read on
the bidders. The blue 70 Six BBL RR was really nice, sold at Scottsdale
BJ 2008 for $66000, sold there for $57000 and is back on E-bay already
for$69900. The guy who bought it was the same guy that bought my 69 RR.
The Purple 6-bbl 70 RR was not as nice and brought more money!!!!"

I kinda drifted there from Mark's original question but it's some insight as to what went on in Vegas and what may pan out in Scottsdale.  :Twocents:

BB1

Delete my profile

Aero426

I think it's really too early to tell what will happen in Scottsdale.     A lot depends on the quality of the cars they will get considering the sellers will have to go with no reserve.  A lot depends on what happens with the economy between now and then.   For a first run, and considering the economic doom and gloom, I would think they considered Vegas a success with 29 million sold. 

Ghoste

I know the RM Toronto auction this weekend has sold every spot so it may also happen that a lot of the desperate and or marginal car owners will be trying to get out while they can even by next January.  :shruggy:

speedfreak68

All I know is that we are sending a T-bird there from McPherson College here in Kansas.  :2thumbs:

charge-it

We will be able to get our Mopars back for cheap money????   :shruggy:
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

69charger2002

i think if things stay as they are now or worse... there will be tons of cars for sale there, as people are getting desperate, even people with more money.. so they will all be TRYING to sell. i personally see them bringing less than last year and "good deals" to be had, relatively speaking of course.. i think once the rich people forget that mopars are the "cool car" and move on to the next, and as baby boomers die out, our cars should become more and more reasonable. sure demand will always be there, but not to the ridiculous prices we have become accustomed to seeing over the last 5-6 years
my .02
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

41husk

I hate to play devils advocate, but I think those high auction prices ran the average muscle car price up.  This escalations is directly responsible for the increase in production of restoration parts.  If a manufacture feels he can sell enough units of a part to be profitable after tooling, licesening, and manufactureing, the part will be made available.  If restorers can not turn a proffit at auction, they will stop restoring these cars, driving down demand for the parts.  I know, I know, we charger enthusiast will buy the parts.  The Vast majority of us own 1-3 classic cars (Travis excluded).  After we purchase and install a part, chances are we will never purchase the same part again.  Simply put your average Charger owner will not buy enough of a particular item to make manufacturing it profitable.  So if the sale price of finished cars go down at auction, less will be finished and fewer manufactures will develope new restoration parts.  It truly is a dilema :Twocents: 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ghoste

Then again, if the prices keep going up at auction only the very wealthy will bother restoring cars and that will be a pretty limited market as well.

nakita7

B-J is a friggin' embarrassment to the hobby and I honestly hope everyone involved takes a bath, it's about time. 20 years ago the common questions in this hobby were "What was the original colour?", "How fast does it go?" and "Any options or a 'stripper'?". Nowadays, the FIRST question always asked is "What's it worth?"  :eyes:  Sorry, just tired of all the 'stay at home stock trader' talk....

41husk

I am in no way supporting BJs money grabbing greed, just saying I think through basic economics they have helped me and many other enthusiast by fueling the reproduction industry to make more reproduction parts available to us.  Just a couple of months back I got a pull out add from direct connection listing several parts "Now Offered"  I remember the 90s any part the dealer did not have you had to get used at a swap meet or from a bone yard.  Any one looking for a challenger Rallye hood, RT or Rallye Charger tail light or lenses, let me know how you come out in the scrap yards.  Heck I remember less than 4 years ago giving $150 for one side of nice check mark trim for my 68 Charger, now you can call Gunslinger and get a perfect pair for the same cash.  I just feel like many of these investors greed has helped me improve my cars.  unfortunetly it also makes it tough for the guy who wants in the hobby, when every body thinks there 318 Barracuda has to be worth 30k because BJ sold a hemi the same color for 2 mil.  If the young guns can't afford to get in the hobby, it will dye with us old farts, Well just my  :Twocents: gotta go to BE/A web site to shop for some convertible Challenger parts(none of which were available a couple of years ago) :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

RD

i think all the millionaire/billionaire folks are loving this as they will buy up everything cheap, as the economy really doesnt hurt them like it hurts everyone else.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bull

By the sounds of the economic news out there today we might be too busy dealing with a post-apocalyptic zombie outbreak to worry about some stupid auction.