News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best powersteering pump for 69, 440?

Started by Back N Black, October 24, 2008, 12:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

I do not have a pump or brackets, i do have a new powersteering box (Origional style). So what is the best choice ,Federal pump ot the Saginaw pump? i'm not worried about what was origionally on the car.

oldschool

Quote from: Back N Black on October 24, 2008, 12:16:56 PM
I do not have a pump or brackets, i do have a new powersteering box (Origional style). So what is the best choice ,Federal pump ot the Saginaw pump? i'm not worried about what was origionally on the car.

i like the saginaw pump.its easy to get parts for,and easy to service.i think it is a little smaller too. makes for more room to get at the plugs etc.  :yesnod:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Chatt69chgr

I believe you will find that the 69 charger (small block and big block) used the early Saginaw pump. It's the one with the round body and oval shaped fill reservoir.  This pump uses the pulley that has a woodruff key and nut to retain it.  The later saginaw is about the same thing except the metal reservoir is egg shaped.  The 69 Saginaw pump used a metal fill cap.  Later ones use the plastic fill cap.  You can use the later plastic cap on the earlier pump if need be.  You can buy a rebuild kit for these pumps from Advance Auto.  Real hard to find the metal cap though.  69 C-bodies used the Federal pump which also has a round body but has a round fill reservoir.  I think the 68 Charger may have used the Federal pump.  It's kind of hard to find the early saginaw pump.  The egg shaped one that uses the press on pulley is commonly available at parts places.  It was supplied after about 1073 or so.  Bouchillon in South Carolina has lots of good info and parts for these including the brackets and pulleys.  I see that 440 Source has started carrying the brackets too---I think at a better price.  The pressure hose for all of the different pumps is available.  I got one from Rock Auto but you have to do some research to determine which one is really correct.  The cast aluminum piece that bolts onto the steering box comes in different flavors depending on whether it was a A, B, or C body.  I think these cast pieces are interchangeable.  Firm Feel said to use Mopar Power Steering fluid.  I have not tried to buy any of that yet.  My project is years away from completion.  The return hose is available from about any parts place.  The proper spring clamps for the return hose are available from several sources if you want to be correct. 

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs