News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona hood pin lanyards?

Started by pettybird, October 21, 2008, 08:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

What's the more-or-less final word on their mounting and their length?

I thought these were hood mounted and short but everyone we're calling says that they take the 18" long loops.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Dave Kanofsky

My understanding is:

Early built cars had the hood lanyard going to the 12:00 screw, and that screw had a flat blade head whereas the other 3 had phillips heads.  The cables for these were short and looped around.  This is how I found mine.

Later built cars had the 18" cables and went to a screw on the fender under the hood.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

notabird

I thought all had the short cables.

69_500

I thought they all had 18" cables. And the location of the other end of the cable varies from Daytona to Daytona. Some are at the 12 o'clock position while others aren't.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on October 21, 2008, 04:32:37 PM
I thought they all had 18" cables. And the location of the other end of the cable varies from Daytona to Daytona. Some are at the 12 o'clock position while others aren't.
so none of the cables are suppost to attach to the body , ?  just attach to the hood

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69_500

Correct, well based on what I've seen on "survivor" cars that is. Jim's Daytona has the lanyard attached at the at the 6 o'clock position, and another survivor car I have pictures of has it positioned at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. But the majority of them are at the 12 o'clock position.

hemigeno

By no means have I seen every original car still in existence, but to my knowledge the cars' cables were all attached to one of the hood pin bezel screws on the hood.  As Danny mentioned, they seem to vary between which position on the bezel they chose - but all of the original cars seem to have had hood-mounted cables.  The consensus also seems to be 18" for the cable length.

I've seen restored Daytonas with the cable attached to the body somehow (usually the radiator yoke), which is more convenient from the standpoint of the cable not dangling/swinging as the hood is opened.  My guess is that a few owners could have stolen that idea from a Superbird, and it wouldn't take much to reattach that one end of the cable.  If there's an original or unrestored car that has its cable attached in that fashion, I'd want to carefully examine the hood pin bezel screws.  As part of the lanyard installation, they pulled one of the chromed panhead screws and replaced it with a longer screw that didn't have quite the same finish at the screw hole where the lanyard was attached.  If such a car has 3 shorter screws and one long one (or 3 alike and one slightly different), I'd say that car had its lanyards relocated at some point.

The in-process pictures from Creative Industries show the hood-mounted location, so I think it's fairly well established that's the way it "should" be. 

:Twocents:

moparstuart

The owners if they drove there cars may have moved them so the cable didnt flop all over hood also. My 69 runner were too long and flopped even mounted to the rad support .  So i tuck them down so they dont flop .

moparstuart

Quote from: moparstuart on October 21, 2008, 04:57:24 PM
The owners if they drove there cars may have moved them so the cable didnt flop all over hood also. My 69 runner were too long and flopped even mounted to the rad support .  So i tuck them down so they dont flop .
  I guess i do it on the birdible also but the hood fits tighter so i cant just slide the cable on it .

nascarxx29

Had these from my old daytona part number #3549611 for the daytona and superbird parts book description lock package.With similar instructions shown above

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37978.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

So what's the consensus on that fourth screw then?  phillips or regular? 

69_500

Just a few pictures of the lanyards for you guys on unrestored cars.

Green car is Jim's unrestored car. (note attached at the 6 o'clock position if you were standing at the front of the car)

Red car is the Malcom's car. (note attached at the 9 o'clock position if you were standing at the front of the car)

hemigeno

Looking at the picture from Jim's car, the attachment location could have been moved by the owner for some reason.  The screw that I would have "picked" to be the attachment screw is at the bottom of the picture (would that be at the 9 o'clock position then as well, or 3 o'clock?).

69_500

I agree with that comment Gene, and I think it has to do with the way the post are positioned on his car. With the clip going from fender to middle of the hood instead of front to back.

Wingnut426

Want to see a great reference pic? Look at my Daytona in the Sept. issue of Playboy, page 177.  My car was built 515.  Wingnut
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Wingnut426 on October 22, 2008, 09:43:41 PM
Want to see a great reference pic? Look at my Daytona in the Sept. issue of Playboy, page 177.  My car was built 515.  Wingnut

There is no page 177 in my Sept '08 issue of Playboy  :shruggy:

Wingnut426

Its in the 1969 Sept. issue of Playboy.
                               Wingnut
HEMI Daytona Convertible

nascarxx29

The article is called recharging the charger.Photographer we tried to find sometime back was Kermit Johnson.Picture is loading

nascarxx29

Ghoste

Pete, do you know at what point the fender scoops were added to the car?  IE, before or after Chrysler sold it?

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on October 24, 2008, 02:50:47 AM
Pete, do you know at what point the fender scoops were added to the car?  IE, before or after Chrysler sold it?

IIRC, Pete added the scoops but left the fender cutouts (holes) off.  If that were my car, it would have driven me bananas to have every car show "expert" tell me that it should have fender scoops.  Duh. 

Can't really blame Pete either way.

BigBlockSam

i've seen Pete's car up close and it's friggen beautiful but i couldn't even speak when he pulled out his hemi superbird. WHITE. my fav color   :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on October 24, 2008, 10:20:09 AM
i've seen Pete's car up close and it's friggen beautiful but i couldn't even speak when he pulled out his hemi superbird. WHITE. my fav color   :cheers:
I love all his cars  F6 playboy  :drool5:  ,but the hemi convert daytona also  :drool5: 

he is the man for hooking me up with daytona and superbird jacks also !!!!  thanks pete