News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Site Update

Started by Troy, October 20, 2008, 11:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

88,000 pics, wow,      thanks for hard word on site,  works great,  :2thumbs:  hope the pic thing is figured out and you can post the cure on the SMF forum to help the other computer brainiac hacker dudes.    :icon_smile_wink:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Brock Samson

Question boss...

Where's the last 10 posts/replies who's on line options normally at the bottom of the log in page?...
'n why is all the type fonts so big?.. 

& thanks for your work over the years keeping us bunch of yahoos hooked up and such.

moparstuart

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 21, 2008, 10:41:16 AM
Question boss...

Where's the last 10 posts/replies who's on line options normally at the bottom of the log in page?...
'n why is all the type fonts so big?.. 

& thanks for your work over the years keeping us bunch of yahoos hooked up and such.
yeah i cant imagine how much trouble we would be out causing if we were not here.  :smilielol:
The outside world is better off with us here .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

Troy:
taking your response from geeman's other thread..

Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2008, 09:43:18 AM
It looks like about 100,000 other sites too. That's why they call it a "template". ;) In the beginning, Cuda-Challenger.com looked a lot like us but they were forced to update a lot sooner. Honestly, there isn't a lot of difference other than color and more of the buttons are rounded. It will change again.

Troy

i guess i'l get used to it.
still it was cool to click refresh on the last ten posts thingee and get caught up really quick...
Oh and I figured out the who's online tab too...

69*F5*SE

Things are looking good Troy. The pictures are showing up now too.   :2thumbs:  Ted

Troy

Having lots of pictures is great! Until you need to move them or do any sort of bulk operation.

I'm still playing with the settings. Any "features" that were changed in the new version generally go back to the default (usually off). The recent posts for example used to be on/off but now you can choose a number. I'll turn that back on. I'm still playing with settings to see if we've lost anything or gained anything useful. Sadly, one of the reasons for the upgrade was the image resizer.... which still doesn't work. I'm saving that for another day.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

71_Charger_R/T

WHOA, NEW LOOK!!!  Hey this is really nice!  Like all the others have said.... Thanks Troy.  Your hard work behind the scenes is greatly appreciated. I'm sure you do more than we all realize. Please keep up the good work. This is like my garage away from the garage.

Charger_Fan

Looks good, Troy! :cheers:
At least all the avatars are still on the left. At two of the other forums I frequent, they all ended up on the right & the site owners can't seem to figure out how to make 'em go back. :icon_smile_big: Although, those sites are on PHPBB, so maybe it's different than this one.

I just noticed another thing...this site seems to be REALLY fast now! Is that part of the upgrade?

Quote from: moparstuart on October 21, 2008, 10:24:33 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 21, 2008, 10:22:10 AM
Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2008, 09:32:46 AM
Quote from: Khyron on October 21, 2008, 07:08:32 AM
Troy, just asking? but did you remember to check the box: "Display image attachments as pictures under post ?" In the attachment settings?

I guess it overloads the system when you have 88,000 pictures...

Yeah, sorry about that. ::)
yeah me too   :smilielol: :smilielol:
Not me, I supply most of my own. :angel:
The only bad part about that is if I ever close that pic host account, they'll all turn to the dreaded ><

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Khyron

Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2008, 09:32:46 AM
Yes, but that has no effect on this problem. Funny, I read about 40 posts on the SMF forum that stated exactly the same thing. This has been around since the switch to 1.1 and it doesn't appear that anyone has posted the fix. Well, from what I can tell, there's a new IF statement that checks to see if the attachment is an image and anything posted before the update returns false. There's a new "attachmentType" column in the database but it isn't used so, as far as I can tell, it's actually checking the size ("width" and "height") to see if it's an image. That information doesn't exist in the database for the older attachments since those are new columns in the 1.1 branch. The update seemed to hang when it got to the "thumbnails" so maybe that's what it was supposed to be fixing. I guess it overloads the system when you have 88,000 pictures...

Troy

what about the repair_settings.php?

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Troy

It does exactly what it says - repairs settings (usually file paths and such). Those are all fine. If you upload a new image it works but the existing images don't. The same thing happened on Cuda-Challenger when they upgraded but I don't think they ever got it fixed (and then they accidentally deleted most of the files any way which made it a moot point). My only other option seems to be to re-run the update and hope it doesn't make matters worse. Since I've got it working now I'm not going to mess with it. I may use the old server to test a few things since I still have it for a couple of days.

Troy

bordin34

It looks really good, but that white space on the top right is begging for a banner.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Khyron

Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2008, 02:25:45 PM
It does exactly what it says - repairs settings (usually file paths and such). Those are all fine. If you upload a new image it works but the existing images don't. The same thing happened on Cuda-Challenger when they upgraded but I don't think they ever got it fixed (and then they accidentally deleted most of the files any way which made it a moot point). My only other option seems to be to re-run the update and hope it doesn't make matters worse. Since I've got it working now I'm not going to mess with it. I may use the old server to test a few things since I still have it for a couple of days.

Troy

sounds good, i'll check a few things on my end too ;)

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69_500

Thanks for the update on the site Troy.

Seems cleaner, and more streamlined.

Ah who am I kidding, I can hardly tell what has changed.

69_500

Although I'll really like it if that image resizing actually works. That is the main reason I'm so lazy about posting pictures. I get distracted when I start sorting through folders on my computer to resize a picture, and next thing you know I forgot what picture I was looking for.

runningman

Troy, looks great...........thanks for all your work!  :cheers:

400/6/PAC

Hey
I like the warning that tell's You if another post was made while viewing.
Thanks Troy

Troy

Quote from: 400/6/PAC on October 21, 2008, 05:39:38 PM
Hey
Thanks Troy

Haha, I think I turned that off. Last time everyone complained because Each time it goes back to the edit screen you need to upload any attachments all over again. For example, if a person were to start a thread about their new car or some progress on a project and needed to upload a bunch of pictures they'd get derailed by that message as soon as people started responding. It may take several attempts to get the post to go through and it's very frustrating. Maybe that's fixed in this version but I kinda doubt it.

Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2008, 05:46:23 PM
Hey
Thanks Troy

Haha, I think I turned that off. Last time everyone complained because Each time it goes back to the edit screen you need to upload any attachments all over again. For example, if a person were to start a thread about their new car or some progress on a project and needed to upload a bunch of pictures they'd get derailed by that message as soon as people started responding. It may take several attempts to get the post to go through and it's very frustrating. Maybe that's fixed in this version but I kinda doubt it.

Troy

There seems to be a choice in your profile to turn this on & off
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

A383Wing

I don't see any icons at the bottom to send members a PM.....

Or am I blind?   :scratchchin:

Bryan

Troy

Quote from: A383Wing on October 21, 2008, 11:58:22 PM
I don't see any icons at the bottom to send members a PM.....

Or am I blind?   :scratchchin:

Bryan

At the bottom of what?

Troy

mikesbbody

Thanks for all your hard work Troy  :2thumbs: The new look is great!

Khyron

Quote from: Troy on October 22, 2008, 12:29:23 AM

At the bottom of what?

Troy

At the bottem of a users post there used to be optinal buttons to click directly to someones PM box, also for IRC, Yahoo and the like. They're gone now ;)

BTW: I love having a quick reply again.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Troy

Man, we've always had a quick reply. Ok, I know which icons are missing now. Lemme see where the settings went to.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 21, 2008, 07:09:16 PM
Quote from: Troy on October 21, 2008, 05:46:23 PM
Hey
Thanks Troy

Troy

There seems to be a choice in your profile to turn this on & off
That is correct.

Troy

Troy

The setting says "Show view profile button under post?". Not the most descriptive thing is it? (Because you can view the profile by clicking on the user name so I didn't think it was necessary to have a button.)

Troy

Troy

Apparently they've added a Buddy List to the new forum software - which broke the previous Buddy List mod. I think I have successfully transferred all the previous Buddies to the new format. Now I just have to clean out all the old mod code.

Troy