News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

got my car back need help please?

Started by bricklayer, October 09, 2008, 02:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bricklayer

just got my car back from bodyshop and do not know what to do know? I'am lost I don't know what to do now? Suspension is all on, no engine or tranny in the car but i have them and there are rerady to go in the car. there is no wiring no dash, steering column is in.. there is no interior the car is totally gutted on the inside, i have all the wireing from year one.  I don't even know where my all my body bumpers go ia'm totally @##$$% pleas help what should i do first?  I need  a good starting point!!!  thanks  tom  I live in lititz Pa. any body close by i would be willing to pay you for your time if you could get me going in the right direction   717-587-8605

Dans 68

Do you have a contract with the body shop to also assemble the car? If you are getting no satisfaction with them probably the way to go is small claims court. Sounds like a bitter situation. And get your car out of there if the shop won't make it right...and bring a witness or two when you do talk to them. Document everything, if you have already have not been doing so. Good luck.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bricklayer

I got the car back from the body shop they did a fine job!!! my problem is i don't know what to do now i planned to put car back together myself anyway i just don't know what to do first thanks  tom

Dans 68

Ahh. Well, then, it is not as bad as I thought. So right now you are overwhelmed with the task ahead of you. Right?

I'm assuming that you have a place to reassemble your car, and that you just need some direction on how to proceed. I have not done what you are attempting, so I will defer to others here with their experiences. You would do well to get a hold of the book "Project Charger" by Larry Lyles. http://www.amazon.com/Project-Charger-Step-Step-Restoration/dp/193199322X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223583794&sr=8-1. That book alone will get you through this seemingly hopeless task swimmingly.

Good Luck! Take a deep breath. You will be fine.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

yeahitsgotahemi!

I bought the book he is referencing, it is very helpful and I recommend it also. Reading about other peoples builds on this site should give you some idea as well, there is a thread in the General section that has links to various charger builds. Good luck, and have fun!
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

hemi-hampton

Soundss like DANS68 has had some bad experiances with body shops, You sure jumped to the wrong conclusion pretty quick :scratchchin: LEON.

Dans 68

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 09, 2008, 11:09:07 PM
Soundss like DANS68 has had some bad experiances with body shops, You sure jumped to the wrong conclusion pretty quick :scratchchin: LEON.

Yep, speed reading does that to you, sometimes... :P  I'll slow down.  :eyes:

Dan

tatrick2me

Bolt the heater box to the fire wall istall wiper transmissions and linkage 70 back first. Wire and install the dash. Wire the rest of the body, install brake pedal and brackets, complete any brake and suspenion work needed. Now you can install the back glass yourself with a helper, but its best to have an auto glass person install the windshield 70 back [do it yoursewlf 71 up], load quater and door glass along with all hardware. Now complete the inside of the car. Now install engine, transmission and drive shaft. Next complete the engine compartment radiator, belts hoses wiring and so on.
Now install gas tank witrh new fuel lines, Last trim out the body, bumpers, lights emblkems stripes and so on. Install water oil trans fluid, gear lube and battery. Start the engine, set timing and idle, adjust linkage as needed, test drive around the block then check for leaks. If no leaks drain radiator and install anti freeze 50/50 mix with water. Have the front end lined up and drive it like you stole it.
Bone 7

bricklayer

ok then that sounds like a plan thankt you tatrick2me

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bricklayer

Dash is in!!!! next stop steering gear form firm feel then the engine one step at a time thanks