News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Whinnnes

Started by The70RT, February 11, 2009, 09:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

I bought my Dodge Ram 3 years ago with 20K on it. It made light whine when it was cold in reverse. It never got any worse and shifted fine. I changed the fluid and the pan was clean. Since then it has remained full and clear. A couple weeks ago my check engine light came on and I got a P1740 code (overdrive solenoid). I now have 50K on it and is under warranty. I took it in and they said my torque converter was coming apart and my OD bands showed signs of overheating. It didn't have a receiver on it when I got it or a tow ball on the bumper. Since then I installed a receiver and towed some vehicles once in a while. Anyway it had to be rebuilt. It was 2K....good thing for the warranty. They even found a wheel bearing that warrented replacement. I never noticed any noise or tire wear. They sure don't make'em like they use to.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68 RT

My 99 1500 4x4 does this in reverse too, bought the truck used with 60,000. Now has 98,000 no problems yet. I'll be ready for this though.

John_Kunkel

The whining/buzzing/moan in Reverse is caused by a rapidly cycling pressure regualtor valve, more of an annoyance than a real problem. There's a couple of TSB's on the subject.

Since there are no bands in the OD I would be skeptical of the diagnosis that said it needed rebuilding. Since it was free there's no harm, no foul.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

The70RT

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 12, 2009, 08:03:12 PM

The whining/buzzing/moan in Reverse is caused by a rapidly cycling pressure regualtor valve, more of an annoyance than a real problem. There's a couple of TSB's on the subject.

Since there are no bands in the OD I would be skeptical of the diagnosis that said it needed rebuilding. Since it was free there's no harm, no foul.
My fault. I meant clutches. The paper work shows P1740 tcc or od solinoid performance would not pass the tcc clutch test - trans needs rebuilt. I hope they rebuilt it since I dropped it off last Thursday afternoon and they called Wednesday morning when it was done.

RD

Quote from: The70RT on February 12, 2009, 08:36:14 PM

My fault. I meant clutches. The paper work shows P1740 tcc or od solinoid performance would not pass the tcc clutch test - trans needs rebuilt. I hope they rebuilt it since I dropped it off last Thursday afternoon and they called Wednesday morning when it was done.

considering putting in new clutches for a OD unit means just pulling the tailshaft OD unit off and putting in two sets of clutch discs... its not hard.  I wonder if they replaced the solenoid?  That is what I would ask them if I were you Dennis.

did they say that about your converter and "OD" components before or after they dropped the transmission and tore it apart?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

The70RT

Quote from: RD on February 13, 2009, 11:58:58 PM
Quote from: The70RT on February 12, 2009, 08:36:14 PM

considering putting in new clutches for a OD unit means just pulling the tailshaft OD unit off and putting in two sets of clutch discs... its not hard.  I wonder if they replaced the solenoid?  That is what I would ask them if I were you Dennis.

did they say that about your converter and "OD" components before or after they dropped the transmission and tore it apart?

They told me before. I was wondering the same ....like how did they know? They said - solinoid performance would not pass the tcc clutch test. They told me they rebuilt the whole thing except some hard parts. Two solenoids and converter were also replaced? I should have asked to see the old parts. I do have a kit number on my invoice. I gotta year left on my warranty to see what it does.