News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help to get my charger registered in my name

Started by charger_fan_4ever, October 13, 2008, 02:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_fan_4ever

I live in Quebec Canada and bought my charger in New Hampshire. I found out that cars older than 93 don't require a title or registration in NH, so i thought i was in the clear with a notorized bill of sale. WRONG. Car cleared the border fine, paid federal tax at the border. I go to the licence bureau with the notorized bill of sale thats stamped clear by customs thinking its all ok. Well they tell me i need a document from the dmv of nh in the previous owners name(title or registration). The guy i bought it from said no problem in getting a title after the fact if need be. Guess i shouldn't have believed him. Chased him for 3 months now and its excuse after excuse. Won't answer or return calls just sends emails. I've asked many times for him to find out the cost and i'll pay him, but he says no no i'll pay for it. Then comes back with the excuse he's hurting for money. :rotz: I've realized now that he just does not want to do it.

I've done some searching about these title places and i'm just wondering since i already paid 1 tax in my name when i brought the car across is this not going to be a problem even if i get the paperwork from the title company?

Thanks in advance

Old Moparz

Out of state titles are sometimes a pain, but I'm sure over the border are worse. I'm not from NH, but I just looked at the NHDMV website & found a question & answer page with one that may help you. http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/registration-faqs.php

Q: I've heard that some vehicles aren't required to be titled. Which ones are required to be titled?

A: You must title any vehicle that is no more than 15 years old, all trucks and tractors weighing more than 18,000 pounds, and all trailers no more than 15 years old and weighing more than 3,000 pounds. You also have the option to request a title for an antique vehicle that's 26 years old or older.

My guess is that you'll have to do all the leg work on this as well as pay all the fees, but maybe you can get the guy to at least work with you on this. My advice is, whatever you do, follow up with a letter in writing. Whatever you send by mail, make sure that whatever you send to the guy or the DMV should be sent by a delivery service like UPS, or certified mail requiring a signature so you can track & prove everything. Don't take anyone's word for anything, don't trust anyone to follow up, or follow through in a timely manner.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

charger_fan_4ever

My problem is the licence bureau here in quebec is telling me i need something in the sellers name to prove he actually owned it  :brickwall:

I think i'll try going threw this international title company to get the papers. The guy i bought it from is a dead end. Just bullshitted me for 3 months.

Sweet T

That sucks, I've been watching some of the Chargers in the States but have been leery about the B.S. at the border and licensing one.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

mikepmcs

Dang, too bad, a NH registration would tell the story and should be proof enough along with a bill of sale.

I live in Maine, same deal here.  Good luck and get his registration or call the NH DMV and see if they might assist you in providing proof on ownership.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Sweet T on October 14, 2008, 06:29:44 PM
That sucks, I've been watching some of the Chargers in the States but have been leery about the B.S. at the border and licensing one.

all you need is a bill of sale and a clear title in the sellers name. The part of getting it across the border was a breeze.

Maybe i'll try contacting the dmv in nh like you said Mike.
Don't know if its true or not but the douche told me the dmv advised him that the cops have to come look at the car and verify the vin. He said it was no problem cause he had a friend that would do the paper as he was a cop.