News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a technique to adjusting the rear shoes?

Started by WH23G3G, October 14, 2008, 02:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got to get my rear shoes adjusted so I can put the tires on and lower it. But I'm having a hard time accessing the adjuster through the adjuster hole. There is two adjuster holes on each backing plate, and I cant get an adjuster tool through either one or havent been successful with a flathead either. Everything is correctly installed on the shoe assemblies. The lower spring plate and u-bolts seem to be interferring with the adjustment procedure. My 8.75 rear end is out of another earlier car because it had manual adjusters on it before I switched to the self adjusters. I got it all there too, the guides, the spring, and the cable. It came in a kit with the new adjuster too. How do youll do it?

resq302

I adjust mine with the spoon tool.  At least that what I thing its called.  It is a flat thin metal tool used for adjusting the star wheel on drum brakes.  You stick it through the hole and "pry" the tool in the direction you want to go, tighten or loosen.  My access holes have no problem getting access to them.  Maybe they are the incorrect shock plates or drum backing plates on your car?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Plumcrazy

Adjust the shoes out until they drag slightly on the drum when you install and remove it.  Then just back them off so you can install the drum freely

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Plumcrazy on October 14, 2008, 11:07:53 AM
Adjust the shoes out until they drag slightly on the drum when you install and remove it.  Then just back them off so you can install the drum freely
I do both ways , but like this way best. :yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

375instroke

If they are self-adjusting, just turn them out by hand until the drum is a little but difficult to install.  Rock the shoes for and aft while pushing the drum on.  Make sure you can rotate the drum by hand when installed.  I think they adjust in reverse, so when you back up and hit the brakes, the adjusters do their work.  Are you using something like this to adjust?  It is amazing how solid the pedal feels when they are adjusted correctly.

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Steve P.

Are the shoes new? Drums resurfaced?  Now is the time if not..

1) Are you sure you have the correct adjusters on the correct sides? Very important.

2) If everything is as it should be, slide the drum off and adjust the star wheel by hand a few turns to spread the shoes. Slide the drum on. If it is still very loose slide the drum off and repeat adjusting the star wheel and sliding on the drum. When it feels like it is getting slightly tight push the drum on and turn the drum. You should feel a slight drag.  This is pre-adjusting the shoes.

3) Do the same on the opposite side.

4) With all the drums pre-adjusted step on the brake peddle a few times and see where the peddle stops. This will center the shoes and you may need to do step 2 and 3 again. If the peddle travels too far down to the floor you WILL have to readjust.

5) bolt the wheels on and spin the tires by hand. You should feel a slight drag. If you can't turn the wheels you have them too tight. Back off the adjusters a few clicks.

Both sides should feel the same....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

375instroke

One thing to remember: If you need to back off the adjuster with the drum on, you need to push the adjusting lever away from the adjuster star wheel with a flat screwdriver or similar tool.