News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have Smarter People Given Up Breeding?

Started by Old Moparz, October 15, 2008, 07:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Last week I bought a gadget to connect a DVD player to an older TV that didn't have the RCA jacks. After moving the cabinet to rearrange some wiring, my daughter became curious as to what I was up to. I was explaining what the new piece of electronic equipment does to my 9 year old daughter, thinking that she may not have understood it, but she surprised me. Not only did she fully understand it, but she had some kind of sarcastic response equal to eye rolling at my explanation.  :lol:  It wasn't disrespect, just her way of getting the point across to me that she wasn't an idiot. I didn't think about it at the time, but later I was happy that she was smart enough to understand, & I figured that she'll get through life a little easier when she's older.

Unlike the poor guy I remember that sold me a CD player years ago.  ::)

When CD's first came out, the CD players were around $300 or so. This one electronics store had a special sale, & I bought a very cheap CD player for $79.99 back then. Just before the salesperson rang up the item, he went through a scripted statement explaining their customer service to me, & then asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it. Now I never buy any extended warranties for anything, but I humored him.

Me: "For how long, & for how much?"

Salesman: "You'll get an additional one year making it a two year, instead of the one year that the factory gives you for only $84.99 more."

Me: "The warranty costs more than the CD player?"

Salesman: "Not really, you're getting a two year warranty for $84.99 & piece of mind in case it breaks. It's like getting double for only $5.00 more, not another $79.99 more."

Me: "I'm spending $84.99 & not $5.00 for it. It already has a one year warranty, so how is that getting double for only $5.00 more?"

Salesman: "Two years is twice as much as one year, that's how."

Me: "I'm still spending $79.99 to get the CD player, then another $84.99 to get one more year on the warranty. I don't have a calculator, but that seems more than a $5.00 difference to me."

Salesman: **Looking slightly confused** "Well, I'd rather have a two year warranty if it were me."

Me: "What if I buy two CD players at $79.99 each, not open the second one, & save it in the box in case the first one breaks. If I do that, I'll have $10.00 left."

Salesman: "Sorry, it's one per customer because there's a limited number of CD players per store."

Me: "What if I give my friend the money & he buys it, then gives it to me later?"

Salesman: "But you'll only have a one year warranty. If they both break, you spent money on two CD players & only get a one year warranty."

Me: "That's okay, I don't have any CD's so I probably won't break either one of them."    :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

get the movie Idiocracy, youi will see many such people.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

I dont think so, i have 3 kids and i'm the smartest guy i know..   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

LoneStar Mopar

I was going to suggest renting Idiocracy but I see 41Husk already suggested it.  Hate to say it but that movie is propably foreshadowing mans fate to at least some degree.

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

I did get to see most of that movie a couple of weeks ago on HBO. Some scenes were very funny, but overall it was "just okay" to me.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger_Fan

There's two guys just like that here at work...affectionately known as Dumb & Dumber. :lol:  It's astonishing the sort of crap they come up with. :eek2:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)