News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FINALLY! I've gathered up a set of slotted mags!

Started by terrible one, October 13, 2008, 12:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

What a victory! None of that unilug bullshit either!  :icon_smile_wink: I can't wait to buy tires for these, paint the car, and put them on! It'll be a completely different vehicle.

Ghoste

Good for you man.  One more step towards making the vision a reality. :2thumbs:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CB

Quote from: tan top on October 13, 2008, 12:42:48 PM
slots  :drool5:    ...................... :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

I can't agree more!
Wait, some extra  :drool5: and  :coolgleamA:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

69_500

Good find. Did you actually get lucky enough to pick up the whole set from one seller? Or did you have to piece a set together?

terrible one

Sadly, I had to piece a set together. It was hard too, at least on a reasonable budget. All in all I have $190 invested in all four, so I came out alright. It took about 8 months I guess. The rears are 15x8.5" with 3.5" backspacing and the fronts are 15x7" with 3.5" backspacing. Like I said, all four are the true 4.5" bolt pattern too! I really love the deep dish look that I achieved; it's just as I wanted it! The fronts read SHELBY "CAL 500" and the rears are Indys. It was also hard to find ones that matched in appearance as well, and I got them exact. It's funny to look at myself rambling about the set of wheels, but I just love them!

Ghoste

It's not all that funny to ramble about a set of wheels here, we all have the same disease.

rt green

took me awhile, but i found the slots i was looking for. 15x10 in back, 14x7 in front. i'm happy for you.
third string oil changer

BMOTOXSTAR

Wow man,
   I guess there is hope to find slots. :yesnod:
Thanks for all the help you have given me on the questions about wheel size. :2thumbs:
We have the same taste in wheels. :D
Man, I have been on a bunch  chases to piece a set together.
I am a hunter of the old school slots....... :icon_smile_tongue:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

41husk

If any of you guys who have picked up 15" slots are replacing 15" rallies, please let me know :2thumbs: I'm looking for some bigger rallies.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Skyview69

Nice!  I guess I am lucky that both my Chargers came with slotted mags when I bought them.  Some of the nicest looking rims on Chargers in my opinion.  :2thumbs:

squeakfinder

Thats great! You tried to help me a while back when I was trying to match up a set. After searching for 2 years I found a pair on craigslist that were exactly the same as the the two Appliance mags I allready had.

Mothers aluminum polish works wonders.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Chad L. Magee

Nice score!  They should set off your car nicely.  If you want them to look perfect for show duty, don't skimp on the polishing work with just one quick run with the polish on a buffing wheel.  To do it correctly, you first need to sandpaper the oxidation off of the surface (400, 800, 1000, 1500 then 2000 grit wet sands by hand) to get it ready for a proper polish.  Any scratches or dents can be fixed at that point if you use the right type of epoxy and sanding.  I use Mothers Aluminum and Mag polish ($4 a can) when the surface is ready, followed by Mothers Ultimate Billit Polish (expensive at $17 a can but worth it), and then a light coat of Meguires wax to seal the surface.  When done right, they will look better than when they were new.  Of course it will take some time to do that though (a set of 5 14" Turbines took me eight months of spare time to do).......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

terrible one

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on October 14, 2008, 07:06:06 AM
Wow man,
   I guess there is hope to find slots. :yesnod:
Thanks for all the help you have given me on the questions about wheel size. :2thumbs:
We have the same taste in wheels. :D
Man, I have been on a bunch  chases to piece a set together.
I am a hunter of the old school slots....... :icon_smile_tongue:

Haha there is hope! Really, I guess it's pretty easy to find them, but it's really hard to be cheap about it. I'm really glad I can help you. Don't give up, and show me what you find!  :2thumbs:

dpm68

Cool score. What kind of Caddy did that hood in the background come off?

terrible one

Quote from: dpm68 on October 15, 2008, 07:01:42 PM
Cool score. What kind of Caddy did that hood in the background come off?

Hey man,

That's off of a '76 Eldorado convertable . . . my other project, willed to me from my grandfather who bought it new in '75. I've got about as much money in that thing's engine as I do in the Charger!  :brickwall:

RallyeMike

It's crazy. I used to scrap metal a lot in the late 80-s and early 90's, and slotted mags were being recycled by the semi load. There were piles of these wheels you would not believe waiting for the aluminum prices to spike and then they would all be gone in a flash.  Now they cost an arm and leg to buy new.  It's not like I could have afforded to by them all out of the scrap yard anyhow, so I guess it was not a lost opportunity.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

terrible one

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 15, 2008, 11:02:57 PM
It's crazy. I used to scrap metal a lot in the late 80-s and early 90's, and slotted mags were being recycled by the semi load. There were piles of these wheels you would not believe waiting for the aluminum prices to spike and then they would all be gone in a flash.  Now they cost an arm and leg to buy new.  It's not like I could have afforded to by them all out of the scrap yard anyhow, so I guess it was not a lost opportunity.

Ah man I could imagine! Hell, I saw some at my last visit to the scrapyard here, but they were mismatched, 14's, truck wheels, etc... nothing worth trading my scrap for. Still, I got to thinking about the weight and how well they probably do for scrap. I'm sure countless sets are long gone. It's also funny to think that we are now paying like 4x the amount for used wheels as a brand new set would cost back in the day. But hell, what can you do?  :shruggy:

troy.70R/T

I am still looking for a set of slots. I just bought a set two were 15X 8.5 and the othere two were 15x10. however I have two sets of 15x 10 right now and I NEED two more 15x8.5. I will trade a pair of 15x 10 for a pair of 15X 8.5s straigh up or will buy the rims outright if Any one knows wwere I can get some please help.

1969chargerrtse

My whole Charger bug started from a 69 T5 car that would rumble by my house every morning back in the early 70's as it headed to our high school.  I loved every inch of that car and I can still see the slots on it as it rolled by.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

troy.70R/T

just anted to let you all know that there is a set of slot for sale on the second page of parts for sale the ad reads   15" slotted mags for sale...     looks like two of them are 15X7 and the othere are 15X10   no price or specs on them and they have tires on them.