News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine trouble please help

Started by 440charger68, October 12, 2008, 11:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

440charger68

Its a 68 charger 318, the motor will simply refuse to idol at times. When its running right it sounds great as if the timing and everything is right, then at times the idle would become real rough and the sound of the the exhaust would get real deep as if the timing is completely off, then it would die. The distributor is down tight and the points on the disributor are up to spec. I dont understand what is going on with it. :shruggy:
life's a garden, dig it.

General_01

A few things come to mind with those symptoms.

1- the fuel filter might be full of junk and need replacing.

2- vacuum leak somewhere.

3- the air filter is dirty.

4- dirt in the carb

These are just some things I would check.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

440charger68

life's a garden, dig it.

General_01

Then your timing chain might be stretched and is causing fluctuations in your timing. :shruggy:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

RD

make sure (if you have it) that your electric choke is operating appropriately.... and ensure there are no binding in the linkage on your primary choke flap.

whenever it starts to rough idle.. have the air fliter off to see where the choke flap's location is (i.e. closed, partially open, or fully open).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

440charger68

i think it is my choke, it electronic and everytime i move the flap in a different position it runs better
life's a garden, dig it.