News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GM and Chrysler discuss merger

Started by yeahitsgotahemi!, October 10, 2008, 11:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

GM's board and their awesome decision making abilities. (say aren't they the ones who got them where they are today?)

In truth though, I think it's a good decision.

Foreman72

can you say monopoly...away goes competition between manufacturers...its gonna up being one american car company vs the foreigns
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Ghoste

It's a global economy, the foreign mfgs are the competition.

Foreman72

Quote from: Ghoste on October 15, 2008, 06:06:43 PM
It's a global economy, the foreign mfgs are the competition.

i meant away goes the american manufactures competition...but does this mean we get the best of both (or maybe even 3 worlds) worlds? a chevy/ford/dodge silversuperram? :icon_smile_question:  whats that logo gonna look like ;D
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

pettyfan43

I heard the talks broke down, neither side saw it as a plus, THANK GOD!

Steve P.

Well guys. Hold on to your hats....  Today I watched a show that said RENAULT is trying to buy ALL of MOPAR PRODUCTS..  Says they reallllllly want JEEP, but will take all if they have to...

So how do we feel about GM now?? :scratchchin:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RallyeMike

A French Jeep?  I thought they already made one:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

Remember how well they did with AMC?  If they want Jeep so bad, they should have kept it when they had the chance.

69_500

After doing some talking to people on my own over this past week on this topic I've heard many different angles. One being that Chrysler has $11Billion in assest sitting aside for a possible merger with GM. And that Cyburis is looking to purchase the rest of the GM share and merging the two companies. Another was that Chrysler wasn't interested in merging at all, and that it was Ford who looking at the possiblity of a merger with GM. Personally I think its like a lot of things that go on in the market, a lot of talk, and not a lot of action. Kind of like politics, school boards, or discussions between a man and his brother. A lot of verbal talk, but not a lot of end results.

Sinister68

-James
2013 Challenger SRT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1968 Charger (R/T)
6.4 Hemi/Auto - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 440 4bbl/5 Speed/Dana 3.54

hemi-hampton

I was talking to a Friend that works as a Engineer at GM's Tech Center & he's convinced that GM wants to buy Chrylser just to close it down & eliminate the competition. Does this sound realistic to anybody or insane? LEON. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Ghoste

Isn't there some story about GM interfering with the LA public transit system several decades ago in order to eliminate competition?

runningman

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 19, 2008, 07:24:25 PM
I was talking to a Friend that works as a Engineer at GM's Tech Center & he's convinced that GM wants to buy Chrylser just to close it down & eliminate the competition. Does this sound realistic to anybody or insane? LEON. :scratchchin: :shruggy:

I work at Chrysler and that is what we are thinking also.  Maybe keep Jeep and minivans and just dump everything else.............

RD

Quote from: runningman on October 20, 2008, 04:38:31 AM

I work at Chrysler and that is what we are thinking also.  Maybe keep Jeep and minivans and just dump everything else.............

would this not just provide them with a huge loss of revenue and too much overhead? (i.e. plants, machinery, retirement pay, unemployment pay, health insurance).... doesnt seem like a company who is struggling would want to incur even more debt.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Lowprofile

Quote from: 1971SE440 on October 13, 2008, 10:25:10 AM
GM does not need any cash to get Chrysler. All they have to do is give up the rest of GMAC.

That's what I read in USA Today. Cerberus wants GM to give up control of GMAC and the deal would be done. They say GM would close down most all of Chrysler's plants, and move all the popular models they are manufacturing to GM Plants, and disguarding the less popular models.

"Say it ain't so, Joe"  :rotz: :icon_smile_dissapprove:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Ghoste

And just because talks have broken down doesn't mean it couldn't happen yet.  It's obviously a direction that Cerberus is willing to explore.

TUFCAT

The local news in Detroit is hinting that a merger deal may be a reality, and could be decided as early as Friday (tomorrow).

This is HORRIBLE NEWS - - THE FUTURE OF METRO DETROIT JOBS ARE HANGING BY A THREAD.  :'(

Thanks to all the assholes who still buy foreign cars. Go ahead and bash me if you want ....but my entire life existance has been dependent on the Detroit auto industry - - present, past and future. 

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1855185,00.html

Ghoste

Not just metro Detroit jobs my friend.

runningman

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 30, 2008, 09:33:43 PM
The local news in Detroit is hinting that a merger deal may be a reality, and could be decided as early as Friday (tomorrow).

This is HORRIBLE NEWS - - THE FUTURE OF METRO DETROIT JOBS ARE HANGING BY A THREAD.  :'(

Thanks to all the assholes who still buy foreign cars. Go ahead and bash me if you want ....but my entire life existance has been dependent on the Detroit auto industry - - present, past and future. 

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1855185,00.html

I agree, my dad, dad's mom and my mother's dad all retired from Chrysler.  Looks like I won't be though........bastards..

bakerhillpins

Quote from: RD on October 20, 2008, 08:56:29 AM
Quote from: runningman on October 20, 2008, 04:38:31 AM

would this not just provide them with a huge loss of revenue and too much overhead? (i.e. plants, machinery, retirement pay, unemployment pay, health insurance).... doesnt seem like a company who is struggling would want to incur even more debt.

And that is entirely why they are asking for bailout money from the govt. So that the taxpayer can flip the bill for those costs and the company can dump it off its books and wash its hands.

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Mike DC

It's hard to tell whether GM wants to do this because they're incompetent enough to think it'll work, or because they know it's a bad idea and they're secretly trying to stick the taxpayers with a big bill for it. 

bull

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 30, 2008, 09:33:43 PM

Dude, come on. Is it really just the consumer that's to blame? And tell me how the Chrysler assembled in Mexico is more American than the Honda assembled in the US?