News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I cant decide may you guys can help.

Started by pb24, October 09, 2008, 10:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I want to get ride of my points distributor on my stock 68 charger with a 383. Too many choices

1. MP conversion kit

2. Pertronix ignitor I or II  or maybe a new plug n play distributor

3. F.B.O conversion kit

Ghoste

Personally, I like the MP conversion kit.  It's inexpensive, performs well, parts are readily available, and it's simple to install.

Martian R/T

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
The MP kit is very easy, I have put them in 5 vehicles over the years, and never had any problems, plus availabilty of parts is a definate plus.
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

John_Kunkel

Nice thing about the MP is parts availability in any auto supply. Not so of the others.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pb24

You bring up a good point. When you say parts are available I'm assuming you mean the ECU. I was leaning toward the Pertronix after calling their tech line, they where giving me reasons whey their product was better than MP. They said the MP ECU doesn't put out the same spark as their product does. I just want to make sure that what ever i put in is going to be reliable What do you think of the pertronix product?

Dodge Don

I went with the MP kit.

You are running a 383, not some 700HP monster so the MP will do nicely in my opinion.

TexasStroker

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

pb24

Just curious, why don't you guys like the pertronix stuff

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

A buddy of mine had the Pertronix kit and when it went down, he had to special order the part through a local speed shop.  It took a couple of weeks for it to arrive.  I forget what went south on it now and to be fair a single example of failure is really just anecdotal.  What is undeniable though, is the parts availability of the Mopar unit from dealers to parts jobbers to salvage yards you can almost always find what you need to keep you on the road.

pb24

Exactly whats parts are serviceable. I know the ECU can be bought at most auto parts stores what other parts can.

Ghoste

Pickup and reluctor inside the distributor but the ecu is the biggie.

pb24

What do you think of the FBO conversion kit.

Ghoste

I don't own one and I've heard different reports on them.  Some people love them and some hate them.  Given the price and the fact that as Don mentioned you aren't running a 700hp beast, it doesn't seem worth it to me.