News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Challenger Convertible Will NOT be built...

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, October 09, 2008, 06:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xs29j8Bullitt

I guess it is a victim of the bad economy... more bad news may be in store for all three of the domestic brands...  :'(

http://www.leftlanenews.com/no-fun-in-the-sun-dodge-cancels-challenger-convertible.html

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

mikesbbody

That sucks, but i prefer the challenger as a hardtop (if i could ever afford one)  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Maybe we should all be grateful it was built at all?

41husk

Shoot! Now I need to decide if I should just go get an 09 :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

moparstuart

well i wont be buying one now only wanted a convert! :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

resq302

Quote from: moparstuart on October 09, 2008, 08:43:10 PM

Same here.  Dad was on the list to get one of the first converts since our 70 chally vert was one of the earlier cars being built 9/28/69.  He was hoping to have an old and new one to bring to shows and park them side by side.  Looks like mom will either be keeping her 2003 sebring convert limited or trading it in for a new mustang convert.

What I dont get is that Dodge says there is no market for a convertible, yet did they not redesign the new sebring convertible?  Just doenst make sense.  Now, for those of you who say no to wanting a convertible.  Seems like the majority of people want an older chally vert but not the new one? :shruggy:  To me, the new one is basically an upgraded, modernized version of the 1970 model.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mike DC

I'm sure it's the coming CAFE regs & current gas prices more than anything else. 

They're probably finished investing large new amounts of money into the Chally line for any reason. 

Daytona R/T SE

Yep! With the decision to axe the convertible, Chrysler just saved me roughly $50,000. I don't want one if it's a coupe ( Can't call it a hardtop-it's got a "B" pillar  ;))

resq302

Ok, so you put two optional engines in it.  The 3.5 v-6 or the v-8.  Or if you even wanted to get crazy, make a limited production with the high horse power hemi.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mike DC

If the Mopar hobby really wants a 'vert so badly, some aftermarket shop in SoCal will probably do a limited run of conversions anyway.

G-man

Maybe they will stop producing them alltogether and leave things the way they were meant to be, legends, back in the 60's-70's.  :Twocents:

mikesbbody

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2008, 07:40:21 PM
Maybe we should all be grateful it was built at all?
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 10, 2008, 12:32:42 AM

If the Mopar hobby really wants a 'vert so badly, some aftermarket shop in SoCal will probably do a limited run of conversions anyway.

I agree with ghoste and mike, im sure someone will do a conversion

resq302

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 10, 2008, 12:32:42 AM

Yes, but how much would that "upgrade" cost for a daily driver.
Brian

Brock Samson

Quote from: resq302 on October 09, 2008, 11:09:18 PM
Ok, so you put two optional engines in it.  The 3.5 v-6 or the v-8.  Or if you even wanted to get crazy, make a limited production with the high horse power hemi.

well the srt is the 6.1 hemi and the drag race version has the even larger number race crate motors so you can go racing out the box.

I forget what they're calling the race version..  :shruggy:

I'm sure the aftermarket will build at least a few converts..

Brock Samson

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 10, 2008, 02:52:36 AM
Quote from: resq302 on October 09, 2008, 11:09:18 PM

well the srt is the 6.1 hemi and the drag race version has the even larger number race crate motors so you can go racing out the box.

I forget what they're calling the race version..  :shruggy: I checked they're calling it the "Drag Pac"
And it seems the first 100 are sold out and the ordering info has been removed from the web site...

I'm sure the aftermarket will build at least a few converts..

Ghoste

IIRC, those 100 drag cars were all that they were planning to build so it doesn't surprise me that the order info is gone.  As for an aftermarket vert, that doesn't appeal to me as much.  No matter what you do, it seems like aftermarket conversions are always just some customizers hack job to me.  A bad attitude but it's mine so I get to keep it. :D
I also agree with Mike about coming CAFE regs having as much to do with the death of a lot of cars we hold dear but if Dodge is using the argument that there is no market for it, I remember when they said there was no market for 2 doors either.  :scratchchin:

bull

If Chrysler would have gotten off it's butt a long time ago, say back when gas was $2.20/gal and the retro Mustangs were being produced and sold left and right, they could have sold a bunch of Challenger convertibles and we wouldn't be having this conversation. But it's all moot since the "big three" are pretty much the bottom three now.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on October 09, 2008, 10:17:34 PM

Dad was on the list to get one of the first converts since our 70 chally vert was one of the earlier cars being built 9/28/69. 
Brian, who has this "list"?  I know a few people who'd like to be on it.  Do you have to currently own an early built Challenger 'vert to get on it?  Can it be a 71?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TeeWJay426

Same here... wouldn't spend that kind of money unless I could get it exactly how I wanted it; convertible and manual transmission were my two 'must haves'.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

41husk

I used to think the same thing (I don't wan't one if it wasn't a vert) until I drove one ;D now I want one :shruggy: :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

triple_green

I was planning on getting a vert to match my 71....but after they had depreciated for 5 or 6 years........ :icon_smile_big:

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

triple_green

BTW..."the extra weight they would have to add when they make it a convertible, makes this project undoable"...amazing...the coupe is already a "pig" at 4100+  pounds......my 71 vert weighed 3400 pounds with the 383 in it.....I might as well buy a Mercedes if I want an overweight convertible.......oh yah....thats what it really is............. :yesnod:

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Khyron

Looks like a Ford Mustang in my future.

Great job Chrysler.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger_Fan

From witnessing the current economic state, it's not really surprising to me that they're not making a convertible. I bet Ford doesn't do a Mustang facelift either, until things mellow out. The manufacturers are in "stay alive" mode right now. Once things get better, (and if the Chally is still in production) I bet they'll think about convertibles again...until then, they'll just ride out the storm.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

You're probably right, I would have to think that even the Asian automakers are battening down the hatches.