News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How can those in Canada deal with shipping costs?

Started by SFRT, October 09, 2008, 06:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFRT

ok so I sold a guy my old carb setup. I wanted a hundred bucks plus shipping. he's in quebec....now I just sent a box up there I figured about the same size and weight so I told him 125.00 for shipping. he pays me, I go to the shipping place...and lo and behold shipping alone, the cheapest rate was 262.26

so basically, I am out 130 something bucks.

my mistake, I am not going to ask the dude for more money, but, how in the hell can a guy up there afford to get parts from the states when the shipping is like twice the cost of the part? I mean wtf. its just an invisible line.

Quebec is no more farther away from me than say Boston, and the same package to boston would be like 60 bucks, tops.

I mean, theres not even an ocean in the way.

what a scam.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ghoste

Something doesn't seem right about that.  Shipping costs are usually fairly reasonable for us, it's the cutsoms duties and taxes where we sometimes get stepped on but not like that.  Is it too late to check with another shipper?

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

UFO

Something is wrong with that.
Is that a courier company?
They have high rates.Not to mention the brokerage charges on the receiving end.
USPS is about the most cost efficient way to ship items across the border.

Ghoste

How big a box is big?  I've had intake manifolds shipped up here for waaaaay less than 260 bucks.

SFRT

fedex international ' economy' ( yeah right.). they are suppossed to be the cheapest right now. oversized box, 28 lbs.

Always Drive Responsibly

Ghoste

Does it have to be Fedup, what about plain ole USPS?

Dodge Don

Shipping by USPS is best...they hand off to Canada Post and it is cheap.

UPS is a freaking nightmare . Very expensive.

Carrots

I recently needed to to ship a small 6 lb box from Tx to Australia. Cheapest quote the local UPS store gave me was $275 (and yes they did have the box in hand). I then posted it with USPS for $36. I'm sure the girl in UPS had to have been (or be) a retard but she was adamant and so I walked. USPS every time for me now
a lascivious taste for the grotesque, the painfully paradoxical, the questionable and the absurd.

greatwn73

Please! Please! Please! don't ship by courier to Canada (unless the buyer insists) , courier companies will hire a independent customs broker when the package gets to the border and brokerage charges will apply.USPS does not and if the package is properly marked no additional charges will be added.

If the package is marked as USED AUTO PARTS there will be no duties charged and I believe that limit is up to $250. value.

Brokerage and Duties fees can somestimes double the cost of the item bought.

Ghoste

And to be honest, I have suffered more breakage through couriers than our postal services anyway.  (that may just be my experience though)

472 R/T SE

Yeah I hear ya'.  I sent a 4" x 1" piece, less than 8 ounces, up to the great white and was absolutely floored they wanted $39.  Although it too was FedEx.  I only use them since I've had zero problems over the years.

Dodge Don

Quote from: greatwn73 on October 09, 2008, 07:37:57 PMBrokerage and Duties fees can somestimes double the cost of the item bought.

Absolutely!! Using UPS is like automatically doubling your costs.

E5 Charger

I always ask the shipper to use USPS to ship to Canada, never mind it's more reasonable but there's no brokerage fees. I pick it up at Canada Post and sometimes I pay a tax, which I don't mind.

chgr500

I have all my parts delivered through the post office service...brokerage and shipping cost are excessive with couriers...$$$$$

here's one for ya...if the receiver of the item doesn't pay the brokerage fees...which he may not...the courier will recoup the money from the sender .. :yesnod: ....I know this to be true with Fedex ...

nakita7

Used to work for a courier company here in Canada. Yes, cross border stuff with a courier company is ridiculously expensive. I used to get a 75% (yes, 75%) discount and it was STILL cheaper for me to ship USPS/Canada Post. UPS is even more criminal with all their 'extra' costs that we get when it comes to out door here. NEVER use a courier company to ship parts.

gers1968rt

I live 30 minutes from Buffalo and I get my parcels delivered to the UPS customer center or to USPS and pick them up myself. No brokerage fees, just taxes at the border. Shipping to Buffalo is way cheaper, too.
I used to own a mopar because it was different, but now I know better.

bull

Are they close to the border at all? If so you can ship it to one of those parcel businesses in the US near the Canadian border and he can cross over to pick it up. I did that with a set of arm rests. The guy who bought them did it all the time and saved a bundle.

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: gers1968rt on October 10, 2008, 04:45:41 AM
I live 30 minutes from Buffalo and I get my parcels delivered to the UPS customer center or to USPS and pick them up myself. No brokerage fees, just taxes at the border. Shipping to Buffalo is way cheaper, too.

I'm that close, too.

How does that work, though? Do you need an account or something?

Back N Black

Quote from: bull on October 10, 2008, 05:00:41 AM
Are they close to the border at all? If so you can ship it to one of those parcel businesses in the US near the Canadian border and he can cross over to pick it up. I did that with a set of arm rests. The guy who bought them did it all the time and saved a bundle.

I'm about an hour and 15 min from the U.S. border and i have friends that get parts shipped all the time to a location across the border. They call you up when the parts arrive, just scoot over and pick it up. I have a set of Eddy heads and intake ordered from Summit, they ship free in the US. I will take a run down next Saturday and save a bundle.

NMike

NEVER SHIP UPS OR FED-EX TO CANADA

use USPS. the others screw you on the "special" handling

mridolfo

you can ship your items to this place.

www.usaddressinc.com