News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

proper position for pass side mirror?

Started by SFRT, October 09, 2008, 12:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFRT

Im about to add one, should it be in the same position as the drivers side? anyone have a link to a positioning template?

-thanks

-Frank
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ITSA426

I don't have a template but I know if you put it in the same place as the driver's side you'll need X-ray vision to see through the vent window post.

Ghoste

I'm sure the exact measurements are on here someplace but the passenger side one is approximately 2 inches further back on the door.

Back N Black

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2008, 06:12:52 PM
I'm sure the exact measurements are on here someplace but the passenger side one is approximately 2 inches further back on the door.

Don't tell me that! I just put one on my passenger door, same measurements as driver side.  :rotz:

Ghoste

If you can see it or you just want it on there to balance out the car then no big deal but if you want it to be where the factory put them, then I have to be the bearer of bad news.

Daytona R/T SE

I have a pair of doors off of a 70 on my Daytona clone that came with the passenger side mirror-the front mounting hole on Both sides is roughly 21 inches from the leading top edge of the door. I can measure more precisely if you want, but the passenger side is a mirror image of the driver's side-Just make a paper template of the driver's side, flip it over and stick it on the passenger side.....Start drillin'  :hack:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 12, 2008, 06:41:38 PM
I have a pair of doors off of a 70 on my Daytona clone that came with the passenger side mirror-the front mounting hole on Both sides is roughly 21 inches from the leading top edge of the door. I can measure more precisely if you want, but the passenger side is a mirror image of the driver's side-Just make a paper template of the driver's side, flip it over and stick it on the passenger side.....Start drillin'  :hack:

Thats how I did mine...mirrored (no pun intended) the drivers side location

Its a pretty useless mrror IMHO
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I've been trying to find something that shows where the factory intended it and so far nothing.  Based on where mine are and those 70 doors perhaps this is one of those things where the right mirror went on wherever the hell the assembly guy felt like putting it.  I do know it came up in a discussion before whether here or another Mopar forum and the concensus was that they were not "mirror" images. (I like that Chris)

SFRT

Its a pretty useless mrror IMHO

I agree, but my gal insist on it for 'safety reasons'...lol

Always Drive Responsibly

Ghoste

It looks cool too though so it isn't a waste no matter what.

jaak

Heres some pics from my charger, it had a factory right hand mirror. Hope this helps.

Jason

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Dodge Don

Quote from: jaak on October 13, 2008, 06:44:35 PM
Heres some pics from my charger, it had a factory right hand mirror. Hope this helps.

Jason

Where is that in relation to the rear vertical frame of the vent window assembly?

jaak

Quote from: Dodge Don on October 14, 2008, 06:13:52 AM
Quote from: jaak on October 13, 2008, 06:44:35 PM

Jason

Where is that in relation to the rear vertical frame of the vent window assembly?

I "hooked" the tape measure at the front edge of the door.
Jason

SFRT

1" in and 23 back on the rear hole parallel to the ridge is all I need to know!
Always Drive Responsibly

69*F5*SE

Here's the measurement from my factory passenger door mirror. Measured from the farthest point of the curve on the front of the door top. It's a different measurement as the the one Jaak has.  But it could be measured from a different startint point. I'm trusting my measurement as it's from the farthest starting point on the top of the door. No offense to Jaak as this is what's in front of me on my door. 21 and 3/16 to 23 and 7/16. Centerpoint to centerpoint. Approximately 2 and 1/4 inches apart.  Hope this helps.   :shruggy:   Ted

Just 6T9 CHGR

Just for shits & giggles I measured my pass mirror that I put on my car myself.....

Just like 69*F5*SE measured from the furthest "bump" on the forward edge of the door I came up with 23½" to the small screw hole......exactly the same distance as on the drivers side.
Also approx 1" down to the first crease like jaak posted...

:Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

So what is up with some being further back on the passenger side? 

y3chargerrt

The ones farther back must be installed wrong. I put my passenger mirror even with my driversides. I wish I would have moved it up an inch or so. That would make it easier to see.As it is I have to lean my head back to see anything with it. Its kinda a useless mirror. But it looks good!

Tigger

Mine is also mounted about 2 inches back than the drivers. Mid year change?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: y3chargerrt on October 15, 2008, 08:27:27 PM
The ones farther back must be installed wrong. I put my passenger mirror even with my driversides. I wish I would have moved it up an inch or so. That would make it easier to see.As it is I have to lean my head back to see anything with it. Its kinda a useless mirror. But it looks good!
:iagree: any further back and you'd have to be in the back seat to see out of it
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Thats a lot of mirrors installed wrong that I've seen then.  As for a mid year change, my car is a 67 so that rules that out.  Although... maybe it's generational?  It could be a fastback thing for them to be mounted unevenly??

kab69440

There is another post on this same subject somewhere, and if I recall correctly, my driver's mirror (F ---> R-wise) was positioned where the passenger's was supposed to be. My best guess is that there wasn't a precise template used for the installaton of the remote mirror. I suppose it could be that my driver's side remote was added by a previous owner or something. Anyhow, I just used the driver's side measurements to install the passenger side mirror. It's not hard to see out of, and I don't think it's anything near useless. I can back the car much closer to the wall now than when I was just guessing where the rear quarter was. The addition of a remote mechanism to the passenger side mirror was well worth the hours I spent on it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,42177.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,42373.0.html

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Dodge Don