News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona lock buttons--all black?

Started by pettybird, October 08, 2008, 07:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

what the heck is the correct application for chrome inside door lock buttons, anyway?

I don't want this to be another 'why didn't they' thing with the Hemi car.

Ghoste

I thought all the Chargers from 66-70 had chrome lock buttons?

69_500

Are you talking about the door lock buttons on the inside or the outside? If its the outside door handles I believe the Daytona should have the chrome one's while the 500 should have the black buttons. As far as the inside goes, I thought they were plastic that was the same color of the interior door pad.

pettybird

the inside ones. 

is there a "known" crossover date for the black to chrome exterior buttons?  i don't know that either, now that you brought it up.

the 500 has F8 buttons in it. 

resq302

The door lock button that goes in the upper door pad is interior color.  If you had a black or white interior, you would have had black door lock buttons.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

Don't hold it against me, But I think the chrome ones were service replacements .

otherwise - as mentioned should be same color as the door it's sticking out of

UFO

Quote from: gtx6970 on October 08, 2008, 09:26:45 PM
Don't hold it against me, But I think the chrome ones were service replacements .

Exactly what I was thinking.

Ghoste

hemigeno

Quote from: UFO on October 08, 2008, 09:53:41 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on October 08, 2008, 09:26:45 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

:iagree:

That's the case AFAIK

Mopurr

Ok my memory might be off but I really think that the 69 F6 white hat special that my brother bought new had chrome ones. It had a white interior

I was a little kid that liked to hang out in the car and pretend I was driving

do you guys know this from a documented fact?

Because my memory does not agree

hemigeno

The '69 Parts Catalog does not even contain a part number for color-keyed door lock knob.  The only listing shown is for 3419209 (chrome) one-size-fits-all knobs.  I've seen lots of black, red and tan knobs on low mileage cars.  Come to think of it though, I don't know if I've seen an untouched white interior car's lock buttons though.

These did get broken fairly easily though (broke a few myself over the years), so it's possible that even some "survivor" cars are not sporting their original buttons/knobs.

:shruggy:

UFO

here's some examples of white ones.

69_500

I was going to say that I thought that Dave's old Daytona had the white interior knobs.

As far as the exterior ones go, I'm not sure when they switched to chrome buttons, but every original 500 that I've seen has had the black buttons, where as the unrestored Daytona's I've looked at have had the chrome buttons on the outside.

Ghoste

There must have been a lot of broken ones local to me then because chrome ones are about all I have ever seen on a 1st or 2nd gen Charger.  I've seen a handful of black and with them being the less common just assumed those were the cars that had service replacements.

tan top

always thought  door lock buttons were the same color at the interior  :scratchchin: ............. :shruggy:    :Twocents:  ................ :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

Just looked at a spare '69 door I have in my shop that still has its tan door pad attached.  The tan door lock knob is still there, although it's shortened by almost an inch over what it was when new (in other words, it's partially broken).

69_500

I was thinking that when I was just looking at Jerry's 500 over in St. Louis it was still wearing the tan door lock buttons on the inside.
Here is a picture showing both the inside button and the outside black button.

gtx6970

I still have the OE blue ones from my 1969 GTX with all blue interior.

per the 1968 parts book
yellow green - 4346BF9
Black - 4346BX9
Medium blue - 4346DB4
Dark red -4346DR8
Yellow tan - 4346DT6
Chrome - 2802267

I don't have my 1969 book here at the house

1970 Book just lists
Chrome - 3419209

gtx6970

QuoteWould that apply to all years Bill?

Shawn,
I can't answer for years outside 1968 thru 1970 which is where i'm most familiar with

Ghoste

Since it goes down into a stainless strip of trim on the top of the door panel I guess it could make sense that the 66-67 ones were all chrome but I'm still trying to find out.  My car has chrome and so far, any pics I have looked at have been chrome but as I said, I've only seen a handful of 2nd gen cars here that weren't chrome.
Looking back through my photos to check on the 66-67 ones though I notice a number of 2nd gens with the interior colored buttons.  Folks here were just hard on door lock buttons I guess?  :shruggy: