News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Charger, Chrysler 300 confirmed for 2010

Started by 4forty, October 07, 2008, 01:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4forty

from AUTOBLOG today::::::::::::: no pics

Ending speculation about what new products Chrysler will be rolling out in 2010 is none other than Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli. Now confirmed are redesigned full-size sedans in the form of a new Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 as well as a new Jeep. While none of these vehicles is likely to be particularly fuel efficient, the man behind the scenes at Chrysler also stressed that new fuel-saving models are on their way by means of the automaker's recent partnership with Nissan. We believe that the new vehicle will be a version of the Dodge Hornet concept that we've seen everywhere these last few years.

The redesigned 300 from Chrysler and the Charger from Dodge will be extremely important launches. We expect the square-jawed styling to be radically different since Ralph Gilles, who has promised more "organic" styling, is now head of design. Lastly, we're still a bit skeptical that Chrysler will be able to launch an electric car by 2010, we'd love to be proven wrong. A hybrid drivetrain for the Charger and 300, though, seems like a real possibility.

2much2learn

I say " determined to restore the Charger" SHE hears " Stubborn to throw your money away"   dx_Xb

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

any word on a convertible Challenger for 2010?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Mike DC

I wouldn't be shocked if the new major Charger restyle actually is the kind of 2nd-gen influenced car we all wanted in 2006. 

We all know how hard the bigwigs ranted against a retro-Charger a couple years ago.  But the new Chally is basically a 4100-pound admission of defeat. 

QuoteAll i have to say is 2dr

Sorry man, but IMHO we're crazy if we waste our breath talking about this now.  IMHO continuing to ask for a 2dr Charger would just be wasting what little input we may be able to have on what they do with the new car. 

Every argument that the factory could possibly see for doing a 2dr Charger has been covered by the 2dr Challenger.  Same chassis, same brand, same drivetrains, same price bracket, same era of retro styling that everyone wants. 

pettyfan43

They already have one two door coupe, their market share AIN'T gonna allow more than that, and remember the other Challenger models will be all OVER the place by then.

I'm just hoping that the concept from 99 will show up again!

Mike DC

I just wanna see everyone push the idea of a modern 4dr with a retro '68-70 Charger styling.  This would be sellable to modern buyers, it would seem feasible to the factory in light of their current product lineup, and it's the best common ground that can be found among classic Charger fans. 

bull

So now it's "organic" styling, eh? It used to be "orgasmic" styling, once upon a time :rotz:

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: bull on October 08, 2008, 07:06:04 AM
So now it's "organic" styling, eh? It used to be "orgasmic" styling, once upon a time :rotz:

Cheer up Bull! This exclusive spy shot shows it only has 2 doors! :yesnod:

BBD

bull

T3/RT

Word of how it will look is also starting to leak out.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67815

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79248

http://www.moparregister.com/forums/index.php/topic,447.msg3840/topicseen.html

"The Charger they showed us was still in clay, but Giles said that he was trying to capture the look of the 69 Charger R/T. The car retained a lot of the current Chargers look, but the body lines had more edge the rear quarters were taller the hood looks like the current hood in use on the 08 Magnum and the body sides were concaved like the 69 Charger. The rear doors appeared to melt into the body, if we get Charger they showed us it will blow your socks off. The 300 doesn't stray to far from the original design, again sharper edges and very refined. The big improvement is in the interiors, again if they stick to what we saw then you'll be blown away. The Interiors were beautiful a lot of attention to detail. The Hornet looks like the prototype, kind of looks like a cross between the first Scion xb and the Honda Element. The New Grand Cherokee looks like a Mercedes Grand Cherokee, they dropped the boxy look the vehicle has soft rounded lines, again a lot to attention to detail."

(This came from a poster on chyslerweblog.com)

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Conv.
2005 Chrysler 300C
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT

T3/RT

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

T3/RT

I like this Photoshop from (suzq044/Allpar)

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2005 Chrysler 300C

resq302

Maybe its the color but that really doesn't do anything for me.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mike DC

The truth is we're probably never gonna be thrilled about any new Charger visual that fits within the factory's construction limitations.  Federal regulations, constraints of the platform they're using, etc.

The new Chally wouldn't have gotten more than a lukewarm reaction as a photochop on the net, but it was about as close to the 1970 item as the stylists could possibly do.

Ghoste

That's fine.  I may be in the minority but I don't want an exact copy of a 69 Charger or a 70 Challenger (well I do but I know it isn't realisitic), I just want a car that honors the styling.  The new Challenger honors the styling of the original like mad and a few sheet metal tweaks could do the same for the Charger.  A different grille, some hood and door scallops and your 78% there. :Twocents:

Brock Samson

i whole heartedly dissagree the two cars are apples and oranges and the propotions simplely don't lend themselves to attempt a morph.

I morn the passing of the American built hardtop but these days that's the least of our worries...  :P

Mike DC

Yeah, that's really the crux of the situation. 

The original vintage Chargers were really 2dr SEDANs.  But nowadays we've basically lost the concept of any 2dr car that is not a tiny little "coupe." 

That's why I never thought the possibility of a 2dr Charger was even on the table in 2006.  The car is a sedan and not a coupe.  Modern factories (especially detroit) don't even discuss making 2drs that are any larger than ponycars.  We can gripe about it all we want, but the original "Charger" was always a whole notch above the size of a ponycar.  And these days, that equals 4 doors every time.  (Just look at what models they're calling the modern NASCARs.  They're ALL 4dr models, not just the Charger.) 

The lack of 2dr cars on that platform is not a snipe against the Charger, it's a changing of the times in the auto industry.  IMO we might as well be complaining that the new Charger is fuel-injected. 

Ghoste

Mike DC

Big Lebowski

I'm all for it, bring back the classic look. History in the picture books will always show the Charger as a '68-'70 Charger. Bring on the 2010 GM Chevy Charger :scratchchin:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."