News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Talk about a soft market

Started by Bob, October 06, 2008, 05:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Carlisle Fall Swap Meet.
1970 Charger 500, $18,200.00 Beautiful car.
GL or (I think) a 69, choice, $23,000.00

pettyfan43

I REALLY wish I had some $$$ to buy a nice, finished car right now, it would be a great time to buy.

Bob

Quote from: pettyfan43 on October 06, 2008, 06:02:03 AM
I REALLY wish I had some $$$ to buy a nice, finished car right now, it would be a great time to buy.

You got that right. I almost went to bank there and drew out 18K for the 70.

68charger383

I don't see it as a soft market, just a correction back down to the realistic prices from the prior inflated market.  :lol:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

41husk

Quote from: 68charger383 on October 06, 2008, 08:03:46 AM
I don't see it as a soft market, just a correction back down to the realistic prices from the prior inflated market.  :lol:
I agree! I think 15-25 k is fair market value for a very nice driver.  30-50k is the old esculated range, this was only good for the seller and  No one else in the hobby
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Bob

You actually think so? I don't remember real nice cars going for that in about 10 years. Makes one think how much they should spend to restore.

Ghoste

I see it as both, the soft economy is what's driving the correction.  And I do think it was inflated just a very short time ago.

G-man

I think these cars are more realistic at 40-70K because if you buy a project and restore the whole vehicle, thats what you are spending. So why then sell a restored car for less then what was spent?

I personally believe they are worth what someone spent to make it. Whether that be 20 000 or 100 000 with every nut and bolt new a hemi etc. Someone else couldnt do it cheaper so they should pay what it cost to do. :Twocents:

Ghoste

I suppose that works if someone is willing to pay that but it looks like right now they are worth less.

1969chargerrtse

I think those prices are very fair for a non R/T car.  Plus, numbers matching, clean interiors and engine compartments?  I also think these cars hold very well for a market that is falling apart.   My stocks and retirement money dropped at a higher % than the value of my car.   ::)  Look at the front valance on the blue car, it's white. Some sort of funky mirror, :shruggy:  Lord knows how many other items are incorrect, bondo, etc.....   Three 2nd Gen chargers, and no vinyl tops in site, now that's rare.  :yesnod:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

41husk

simple doesn't matter what you paid or how much you spent to make it look that way, the only thing that matters how much some one will pay you for it.  Many people in the housing market are finding that out the hard way!  I have a house that apraises for 185k  I put it on the market a year ago for 175k I have lowered my price twice and I am now asking 159.9K.  At the end of this month I am pulling it off the market and waiting for the market to change.  I just can't see giving it away.  The only problem is when the market turns around enough to sell mine the cost of what I want will have gone up as well :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

68charger383

Quote from: G-man on October 06, 2008, 07:31:46 PM
I think these cars are more realistic at 40-70K because if you buy a project and restore the whole vehicle, thats what you are spending. So why then sell a restored car for less then what was spent?

I personally believe they are worth what someone spent to make it. Whether that be 20 000 or 100 000 with every nut and bolt new a hemi etc. Someone else couldnt do it cheaper so they should pay what it cost to do. :Twocents:

I agree with you in theory, but It has always seemed like I'd be lucky to get back 50-60% of the money (not counting labor) that I put into any car. These are labors of love...not profit.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Mike DC

Almost any classic car is worth less as a complete item than as the sum of its individual parts values.  We restorers can sink $50K into a car but that won't make it worth $50K. 

Aside from matching numbers, with a typical popular musclecar, it's worth about what it costs to build a copy of it.

And in the majority of situations, labor is worth essentially zilch.  Only the parts/materials prices really count for anything when the buyer is adding up what he thinks he should be paying for it. 

hemi-hampton

I remember the saying used to be unless you got a rare Hemi Car or 6 pak car it's not worth it to restore it. If you can restore a Hemi car to perfection for $100,000 & sell for $200,000 why would anybody want to mint out a 318 car for $100,000 just to resell for $20-$30k?  Just a example :scratchchin: :brickwall:  LEON.

Supercharged Riot

I 2nd that. and TOTALLY agree.  Couldnt have said it any better

41husk

Thats why I tell anyone looking to get into the hobby, "buy as finished a car as you can afford, because inthe long run to get your project to the same stage will ultimatly cost you much more and you will lose that 1-25 years you spend finishing the project, that you could have been enjoying the car"  I would be afraid to sit down and truly figure out what I have in any of my cars.  If I counted every nut bolt and tie rod end I have purchased, I'm afraid I would get very depressed :rotz: :shruggy:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Bob

Quote from: 41husk on October 07, 2008, 07:10:10 AM
Thats why I tell anyone looking to get into the hobby, "buy as finished a car as you can afford, because inthe long run to get your project to the same stage will ultimatly cost you much more and you will lose that 1-25 years you spend finishing the project, that you could have been enjoying the car"  I would be afraid to sit down and truly figure out what I have in any of my cars.  If I counted every nut bolt and tie rod end I have purchased, I'm afraid I would get very depressed :rotz: :shruggy:

:iagree: Theres always 2 prices, the one you know is true and the one you tell your wife. :smilielol:

tripleblkr/t

I agree that the market is soft right now. Sold my rare v02 super bee for $16,000. at Carlisle late Saterday at the mopar show in July. It was a rock solid car that needed a little detailing.

Brock Samson

I attempted to scan this article from C&D in the Nov issue which i got a few days ago.
Of great intrest i'm sure to the members here i doubt it will be legible but i will attempt to attach it here now...

no it didn't load,  :shruggy: too big i suspect... if i reduce it it'll be too small to read anyhow..
I suggust that if this subject is near and dear to your heart you go get a copy or visit your local newstand to read the article by Patrick Bedard, entitled "Trust me Honey, Let's Drain the Money Market Fund and Buy that Collector Car". page 27. Nov. Issue.
required reading if you care about the value of collector cars in today's market.

GeneralLeeTESH

Check out the Seattle area Craigslist ads...due to the Boeing Strike-LOTS of stuff fer sale:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=mopar
The TESH

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69charger2002

Quote from: tripleblkr/t on October 07, 2008, 09:11:33 AM
I agree that the market is soft right now. Sold my rare v02 super bee for $16,000. at Carlisle late Saterday at the mopar show in July. It was a rock solid car that needed a little detailing.

man i had been watching that car for sale on moparts for 20k, then 19k. blew me away you didn't sell that car right off. looked so nice.. V02 or not.. you couldn't touch that car for 20k a year ago.. nice coronet driver's were creeping up to that range.. $16k. man i would have stole it for that...
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

GeneralLeeTESH

The TESH

tripleblkr/t

Quote from: 69charger2002 on October 07, 2008, 12:14:48 PM

man i had been watching that car for sale on moparts for 20k, then 19k. blew me away you didn't sell that car right off. looked so nice.. V02 or not.. you couldn't touch that car for 20k a year ago.. nice coronet driver's were creeping up to that range.. $16k. man i would have stole it for that...

Tell me about it, took a loan to buy my 69 charger I bought thinking I could sell my bee for 20k and that never happend.  Ended up taking a big hit on it to keep my charger.  I would I sold my charger instead but it was all torn apart and who's going to give you any money for a charger all torn apart that I had over 18k tied up in it with parts.  I think the days of making alot of money on these cars are over unless you come across a good deal on a rare find.

41husk

Quote from: tripleblkr/t on October 07, 2008, 12:52:17 PM
Quote from: 69charger2002 on October 07, 2008, 12:14:48 PM

Tell me about it, took a loan to buy my 69 charger I bought thinking I could sell my bee for 20k and that never happend. Ended up taking a big hit on it to keep my charger. I would I sold my charger instead but it was all torn apart and who's going to give you any money for a charger all torn apart that I had over 18k tied up in it with parts. I think the days of making alot of money on these cars are over unless you come across a good deal on a rare find.

Not sure the days of making a fast buck off escalating muscle car prices are gone for good, but they are for now :Twocents:

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904