News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pertronixs question HELP

Started by 440fan, September 16, 2008, 08:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

440fan

Hi guys,

I have a stock 1969 with the 440 engine and stock distr and am still on points and the stock coil. I would like to try out the Pertronixs ignitor and get away from the dual points/condensor and was wondering exactly how to hook it up.

My coil has the Brown and Distributor wires hooked up on the Distr side of the coil. The Blue ign wire and the black condensor(mounted outside next to coil) wire is hooked up on the Bat side of the coil. Where do the Pertronixs wires go? Red to Bat and Black to Distr? Do I also disconnect the black condensor(mounted outside by coil) wire on the Bat side of the coil? I currently have dual points and a condensor under the distributor cap which all get removed. With this stock setup, do I have to run the Pertronixs red wire to a 12 volt source and if so, where would you recommend?

Points need to be changed out and that is why I am thinking about trying out the Pertronixs unit. Thanks guys. John

41husk

Probably need to post this in the electronics are engine drive train, but they have a schematic in the package and a petronix web site.  I had problems with mine on my small block.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

440fan

Quote from: 41husk on September 16, 2008, 08:21:54 AM
Probably need to post this in the electronics are engine drive train, but they have a schematic in the package and a petronix web site.  I had problems with mine on my small block.

I have used them on other cars but I am not familiar with the wiring on this 69 Charger. Pertronix gives basic wiring instructions but not for this car. I just do not want to screw anything up. Thanks.

440fan

41husk

I'm not sure on a 69, but I will check if I still have a tech number,  There should be a tech # on the box or in the instructions, I don't know if I got the # there or on line.  They were very helpfull with my 340 install.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi-hampton

I had no problem installing mine in my 70 Charger, The instructions worked for me :scratchchin: LEON.

Rolling_Thunder

hook it to any ignition wire that gets 12V - I've used the ballast resistor (make sure you get the correct side (2 blues i believe))  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69RTSEV88

440fan,
This is how I hooked up the Pertronix Igniter II on my 69 Charger with a 440.  Red Pertronix wire through the firewall to the back of the fuse box (obviously you will have to spice a considerable amount of wire on to the red Pertronix wire), and then connected it to one of the jumper leads on the back of the fuse box (MUST HAVE 12Volts!) that turns on and off with the ignition.  The black Pertronix wire goes to the negative (-) on the coil, and the blue ignition (factory) wire gets connected to the positive (+) on the coil.  I left the factory wires plugged into the stock ballast resistor on the firewall.  Do yourself a favor and use the Pertronix Flame-Thrower 0.6 ohm coil with the Pertronix Ignitions.  My Charger is the 3rd vehicle (one is an old 50's Farmall tractor!) that I have installed the Pertronix point conversion kit into, and I have gotten the best performance out of them all with the Flame-Thrower coils.  I think if you use the Igniter I kit you MUST use the 0.6 ohm coil.  These are great kits, you will be very happy with it, and everything looks bone-stock!

71 B5383

Yep,make sure you have it hooked up to a 12volt source for best results.Be sure to use the Flame Thrower coil that it made for it!That is for a more stock set up,if you need more go for the Pertronix II  kit and coil,and do NOT mis-match the coils!They work SWEET !  7 years and not a problem,(atleast for me the 3 years I had it,and no complaints from the current owner of 4 more years). 15 minute hook up,never needs adjusting,looks stock. You can hide the extra wire. Just wrap it up in your stock harness.  :2thumbs:
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

440fan

Went with new points and it runs like a new car.